Looking for Driver Swing and Shaft Help

Jjmorris

Will Post for Thanks
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
Well here it is for everyone. I am looking for swing advise and shaft advise. I currently have a Nike VRS 9.5* Driver with the stock Fubuki K stiff shaft.

My swing definitely doesn't FEEL as bad as it looks, but here is my dilemma

Two things:

1.) In reference to Freddie Kong and anyone with some advice, I need an analysis of my swing. (Maybe telling me what is right would be easier than what isn't?? J/K I am really looking forward to feedback.)

Here is a video:

2.) Super Tuna (AND OTHERS WHO CAN CHIME IN!!!)

Here is data from ~10 swings tonight. I really want to do it again because I think after I stopped worrying about it I was getting more consistent numbers after these... Overall I would say my drive distance averaged around 245-250 and launch angle was more along the lines of 9-11 and ball speed averaged around 133ish. Anyway, here is the stats:

6-21-12.jpg

One thing that sticks out to me man is your grip. I'll let someone else reaffirm that before I go into details. Swing doesn't look too bad though!

edit: woah your backspin #'s seem really low too

Last edited:
One thing that sticks out to me man is your grip. I'll let someone else reaffirm that before I go into details. Swing doesn't look too bad though!

edit: woah your backspin #'s seem really low too

That's what I was thinking. Isn't somewhere between 2000-2500. I think there are some serious issues going on for me :S.

Regarding grip, I just started going to the index/pinky finger interlocked and before had the 10 finger grip. It does not quite feel comfortable yet but I know it will be better for my game.

That's what I was thinking. Isn't somewhere between 2000-2500. I think there are some serious issues going on for me :S.

Regarding grip, I just started going to the index/pinky finger interlocked and before had the 10 finger grip. It does not quite feel comfortable yet but I know it will be better for my game.

Take a look at this grip: http://www.johnpartingolf.com/grip/ then take a look at yours. See how your right hand is basically "under" the club? Your right hand needs to be on top of it, imo. As a right handed golfer, your left hand should be dominant and doing all the work. Your swing looks to be right hand dominant.

Take a look at this grip: http://www.johnpartingolf.com/grip/ then take a look at yours. See how your right hand is basically "under" the club? Your right hand needs to be on top of it, imo. As a right handed golfer, your left hand should be dominant and doing all the work. Your swing looks to be right hand dominant.

That feels completely different but better. Man my natural grip was way off before. Thanks for posting the link.

That feels completely different but better. Man my natural grip was way off before. Thanks for posting the link.

Sure thing man. I had a grip very similar to yours for a long time. When I changed and started working towards the correct grip my whole golf game changed. It takes a lot of practice and work. I think the grip is one of the things people forget about because we do what we're comfortable with.

I am no expert but here is my opinion and what I have learned:

Like bahester said, swing looks good just a little work on the grip

Those backspin numbers are crazy low! They should be inbetween like 2300-2800. That's what keeps the ball stable in the air and fly further. Right now you are throwing knuckleballs. Haha

The fubuki shaft is a good shaft at a mid launch/ mid spin (I believe) so you wouldn't necessarily have to mess with that. There are a couple of things you could probably do to get the spin up: a) try to swing a little more down and thru instead of up or b) if you have seen JBs thread about more loft you could take his advice (if you havent read it i would reccomend it, very good read) and increase the loft to maybe gain some distance and spin.
Hope that helps a bit!

Seriously. Tappin'.

More great points by Topdogg. I'm a big fan of higher loft as well. Switching to a 10.5* driver head was the best decision I've ever made for my game off the tee, and JB's recent success with a 12* head are astounding.

Hard to tell where you're playing the ball with nothing teed up in the video, but try playing it off your left heel also, should help some.

Grip is only thing I see. Grip changes take time to fix, but just pick up a club randomly throughout the day, check how you grip without thinking. The more you do this, it'll make the uncomfortable, comfortable.

Grip is only thing I see. Grip changes take time to fix, but just pick up a club randomly throughout the day, check how you grip without thinking. The more you do this, it'll make the uncomfortable, comfortable.

Good advice here. Easiest way to do that: take a club and put it near where you sit when you watch TV. Whenever you watch TV, take 5-10 minutes to just hold the club with the new grip. At first, if it feels comfortable, you're not making a big enough change, it should feel weird because it's different.

You guys are awesome. I am really going to work on my grip and start fixing that because I can tell on video it looks pretty sketch. Hope to get some more feedback tomorrow fellas

You guys are awesome. I am really going to work on my grip and start fixing that because I can tell on video it looks pretty sketch. Hope to get some more feedback tomorrow fellas

Follow that advice man and you'll have a good grip in no time. It takes work. It seems like a simple fix but tough to break old habits. I still do it to this day, I always keep a club beside me on the couch and practice my grip.

Just wanted to do alittle follow up for you guys:

I am no expert but here is my opinion and what I have learned:

Like bahester said, swing looks good just a little work on the grip

Those backspin numbers are crazy low! They should be inbetween like 2300-2800. That's what keeps the ball stable in the air and fly further. Right now you are throwing knuckleballs. Haha

The fubuki shaft is a good shaft at a mid launch/ mid spin (I believe) so you wouldn't necessarily have to mess with that. There are a couple of things you could probably do to get the spin up: a) try to swing a little more down and thru instead of up or b) if you have seen JBs thread about more loft you could take his advice (if you havent read it i would reccomend it, very good read) and increase the loft to maybe gain some distance and spin.
Hope that helps a bit!

Seriously. Tappin'.

Top Dogg!, I appreciate the help and not sure why my numbers are so low with backspin, it doesn't make sense. And yes, I read all the infor about the higher lofted driver, I am going to try and hit one in a 10.5* or 11.5* and see if that dramatiaclly helps.

More great points by Topdogg. I'm a big fan of higher loft as well. Switching to a 10.5* driver head was the best decision I've ever made for my game off the tee, and JB's recent success with a 12* head are astounding.

Hard to tell where you're playing the ball with nothing teed up in the video, but try playing it off your left heel also, should help some.

I feel like I have pretty good ball position, as I play it right inside my left foot, even with the heel like you said.

Good advice here. Easiest way to do that: take a club and put it near where you sit when you watch TV. Whenever you watch TV, take 5-10 minutes to just hold the club with the new grip. At first, if it feels comfortable, you're not making a big enough change, it should feel weird because it's different.

I think I have my new grip figured out. I had a range session Thrusday, Golfed 9 Friday, 9 Saturday, and 18 Sunday. The new grip has caused some soreness getting used to it in the fingers but I realy feel like its helping.

Honestly, I think my swing was more right hand guided in the past. It feels great to get it right.

Thanks everyone, I am going to post a new video and try to get numbers again with some of the stuff I have been working on and see what has changed and get further help from there!

Jesse

Back