Looking for help cleaning advice for a nice set of hickory shafted irons

Mystery Meat

Ben Hogan Fan
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad Gas
Hello

I have a near perfect mashie, and was out hitting it surprisingly well in my back yard. It was a few yards short of my stock irons, but was very fun to hit. Went on eBay and found a set at a very reasonable price but needs a lot of tender loving care by the photos

how would I go about cleaning these up and making look respectable. Would like to take these ole lads out for a round or 2 at the club next season

Depending on age, they may have become weak over time. You could always have them reshafted. I know Tad Moore is doing this but not sure on other companies. With luck they are solid. Heads may are in many cases plated. About all you can do head wise if this is the case is just clean them the best you can. Shaft wise, if they are solid, you can lightly sand them with very fine grit paper and reseal them.

I was also curious about the care of wooden shafted clubs. I've got a couple of mashies that I used to practice chipping with, off the basement carpet floor. I don't think I'd take them out to hit full shots with as I'd worry if hitting a modern ball would damage any of the components of the wooden-shafted clubs.

Back