Looking for input and opinions on a new 75”+ TV

Supersport

Reaction score
Handicap
We are moving into a new home this week and our bonus room is in need of a big flat screen tv. I will say, we are not people who are into AV type stuff and really just want something that will have a decent enough picture and and last for a while. We primarily stream almost all of our tv, my son will play Xbox on this as well quite a bit. I don’t need to have the ultimate in new tech.
Anyone have any suggestions on what I should look for. What spec is critical vs nice to have.
Size range is going to be 75” to 85ish”

For me, I pay attention to a quick refresh rate off the top. I watch a lot of hockey and tracking the puck with a decent refresh rate is critical. Next up is type of light - I prefer LED, but each have their own benefit/shortfall.
Technology is so amazing now that I’m sure you’ll be able to find something to make everyone happy.
My TV is a few years old now, but I’m very happy with Sharp products.

My last TV purchase was a 65” at Costco. Visio. I think it was less than $400. Awesome purchase. Very nice picture IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OLed or QLed, LQ or Samsung

I am also in the market (for 65"-75" though) and was really looking into the LG OLED. Costco has the CX series on sale and that is where I am currently leaning.

I'm a big fan of TVs with minimal bezel as being super thin so they look nice when mounted

We are moving into a new home this week and our bonus room is in need of a big flat screen tv. I will say, we are not people who are into AV type stuff and really just want something that will have a decent enough picture and and last for a while. We primarily stream almost all of our tv, my son will play Xbox on this as well quite a bit. I don’t need to have the ultimate in new tech.
Anyone have any suggestions on what I should look for. What spec is critical vs nice to have.
Size range is going to be 75” to 85ish”
If he's going to be playing Xbox on it and you watch sports on it then definitely look for a higher refresh rate as others have said. If he plays any kind of shooter or fast action game on the Xbox then I would also lean towards a smaller tv as they are better for gaming.

I have an 82" Samsung Q-LED & it's a great TV. Love watching hockey on it, very quick refresh rate & bright. (y) Can't go wrong with a Samsung

The TCL Roku 6-Series TVs come up on a lot of review sites at the best combination of quality and price. I have a 65" and am quite pleased.

Start looking at reviews online and maybe hit up some of the forums. I have a TCL 8 series that I have a love hate relationship with. Picture wise, it’s bang on. The QLED technology is legit. I great great blacks, no judder, and anything that uses Dolby vision is just out of this world. However, the actual build quality of the tv is shite! I put the tv on its stand when I first got it while I decorated the wall that it would eventually be mounted to. When I came to remove the stand, one of the screws had seized. Could not remove it at all. Ended up breaking the corner of the stand to get it off, which was surprisingly easy. I’ve had to connect it with a wire to my internet, as the WiFi connection kept dropping. And finally, once in a while, it’ll randomly just switch to the Home Screen and I’ll have to wait around 2 minutes before it lets me select a picture again. Probably wouldn’t touch TCL again to be honest.

If you are an Apple computer person, make sure whatever you get has Airplay built in. It allows you to view anything that’s on your iPhone/iPad or Apple laptop to your TV with just a click or two. If you are an Android /Google person make sure it has Google Assistant and Alexa

Do you have a Costco nearby? If so, go there and look at the tv's. They'll let you in without a membership but won't let you purchase...

They have good prices on a lot of stuff... like tv's.

If you want to get a smart tv, make sure it's one that will let you load new apps on it. Some smart tv's won't let you add apps to them.

Example: I got a smart tv from Costco. It has hulu, vudu, netflix, and amazon prime pre installed on it. I have HBO Max and wanted to add it to my tv. My wife added HBO Max to the bedroom smart tv. But I can't add that to my living room tv.:( But! I can open HBO Max on my phone and cast it to my tv so... it's an acceptable work around for me.

It's not an issue for me because of the casting from my phone to my tv. It might be an issue for you.

OLED…. Its the only answer here. Picture quality is incredible.

I really like using rtings.com for their ratings and reviews. Have purchased several tv’s based on their lists.

Back