Looking for suggestions/comments on which new clubs I should put in my bag?

BigE

Tryin' to get better....
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm currently a mid-handicapper (12-15 depending on how much I play) who hopes to improve over the next few years. My goal is to get to a single digit handicap before I retire so I can really enjoy all the golf I'll be playing (I'm 56 yrs old now and will probably retire in about 3/4 yrs). Of course, that's a goal - but not necessarily reality....

I am currently playing KZG irons, KZG FW Woods and a KZG Driver that are almost 10 years old. I'm heading to a golf school in October where along with the normal instruction I also plan on getting fit for new clubs. My plan is to replace everything in my bag except my putter!

I'm blessed to have a great job, no real debt, and an understanding wife (maybe tolerant would be a better word?) - so money is not an issue.

I'm really excited about getting a whole new set of clubs but am a little overwhelmed with all the choices.

Right now (without having hit anything) I'm thing about either the Callaway Apex or Titleist 714 AP1 irons. Not sure on FW Woods - but the Callaway X2 Hot sound intriguing as does the Callaway Big Bertha Driver.

Any thoughts?

Really hard to go wrong here, just really depends on what suits your eye the best to a large degree. Callaway, Cobra, Mizuno, Cleveland, and Ping all have something that will work for ypu. Getting fit will help with the impact of different models on things like launch and forgiveness.

I am partial to the Callaway products in the drivers, woods, and hybrids. And Mizuno when it comes to irons, but would have no problem in the comparable Callaway irons. The X2 Hot line of hybrids and woods seem to launch high and be very forgiving on off center hits. Slightly better and correspondingly longer than the Bertha line for me. Having said that, I preferred the Bertha for the driver even though the results were pretty close. Mainly aesthetic reasons. Given our similarity in ages and handicap, the higher launch and more forgiveness of the X2 Hot might apply for you as well.

In the irons I recently went to the most forgiving irons I could get, which for me is the Mizuno EZs. Launch high and very forgiving on off center strikes. I can also keep them lower when needed on 3/4 type shots. I have messed around with the XHot and X2Hot irons and would consider them a good option. Ping G25s as well.

Check out the new Srixon irons - they look awesome, and are probably right up your alley for your GI goal.
Ultimately, it comes down to what you like to look at and what you hit the best.

There are so many great options out there right now. After just buying new iron because my game out grew my game improvement irons. My only suggestion would buy set of irons that you will not out grow as your game gets better. Do not go in with any preconceived notions, so you let the data and the feel of the clubs lead you in the right direction.

All winners out there. I'm 14-18 and play the AP1s. They are long and straight. I think the mizuno EZ might be slightly easier but I preferred the titleist look.
I rented the pings and those are nice as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new Srixons are definitely worth checking out. Cleveland has great FW and hybrids and drivers and based on the threads the new Srixons are awesome.

Back