losing drives everywhere, irons launching high/Driver struggling to even launch the ball

DocShank

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi guys ,
I really need some help with my swing. It's quite frustrating at the moment. Driving the ball nicely has become a rarity. In fact I'm using my fairway woods/5I of the tee...

ball flight with my irons tends to be high. Quick transition

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Swing data gathered from Swingbyte 2:
PW swing stats.gifPW swing plane.gifDriver swing stats.gif

Attachments

• PW swing stats.gif
    PW swing stats.gif
    204.3 KB · Views: 5
  • PW swing plane.gif
    PW swing plane.gif
    198.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Driver swing stats.gif
    Driver swing stats.gif
    200.2 KB · Views: 2
  • PW swing stats.gif
    PW swing stats.gif
    204.3 KB · Views: 3
Do you have a video of your swing with your Driver? And then with your PW?

Assuming you are right-handed, just before ball strike, your right arm is responsible for squaring the club face to the target. Your setup/swing may be making that difficult to accomplish.

I would look at those Attack Angle numbers. I'm not sure I'm reading them correctly ... I have never seen it expressed as 2 digits and "up" or "down" before. But it reads to me like you have a negative AoA with driver, which is not what we want, and that your iron swing is very steep.

I suggest you start with checking your grip.

Sure looks like you're over the top.

Some of the numbers, IMO , seem to show a ball position issue. 51.9° forward shaft lean with driver seems screwy. Someone who understands these numbers better may be able decipher them better than I can.

I'm not sure what all of the launch numbers mean so I ignored them. The subject line in your post would have me thinking that you are too much on your right side (back foot if you're right handed) at impact and casting/early releasing due to that condition.

Swingbytes numbers are different than most other launch monitors. There’s actually a reference chart somewhere online showing the average discrepancy. However, I think there is something going on with your unit for it to read so differently between an iron and driver (e.g., 14* in-to-out path versus 1*). Your path just doesn’t change much without a lot of work. It could be how it’s installed and when it’s picking up the data, especially if you have an early release/flip.

You’d be better off taking slow motion video of your swing head on and down the line and posting it here for help.

thanks guys for all your help. I do believe staying on my right side and flipping the club are some of my main swing issues.
Regarding my swingbyte unit, I think it gets the alignment wrong after each impact/swing. Anyway, thanks for all your feedback. I'm trying to get a swing recorded on my phone.

Yesterday I had a fitting for driver. The fitter who is also a coach said there is nothing wrong with your driver. He changed my stance at address and my finishing point on the follow through. The results were instant. Now it will take some time to develop theses changes into muscle memory, but it is not difficult to do.
Therefore my suggestion would be to take a lesson. Outside if possible. Now I’d been seeing another coach and now have the feeling he is slowing the process to keep me coming back. This was 5 swings and he showed me those 2 things. The stance at address is super easy to change. Swing path will take a bit but I can do it.

Yesterday I had a fitting for driver. The fitter who is also a coach said there is nothing wrong with your driver. He changed my stance at address and my finishing point on the follow through. The results were instant. Now it will take some time to develop theses changes into muscle memory, but it is not difficult to do.
Therefore my suggestion would be to take a lesson. Outside if possible. Now I’d been seeing another coach and now have the feeling he is slowing the process to keep me coming back. This was 5 swings and he showed me those 2 things. The stance at address is super easy to change. Swing path will take a bit but I can do it.

I've been rebuilding my swing from scratch. I can assure you, the proper swing plane, from takeaway, to impact... is imperative to reliable, repeatable results. It does take time to ingrain without thinking.

I've been rebuilding my swing from scratch. I can assure you, the proper swing plane, from takeaway, to impact... is imperative to reliable, repeatable results. It does take time to ingrain without thinking.
We are all in the same boat I guess:). I've changed my swing a lot over the last couple of seasons and as a result I went from fading the ball to hitting draws and slices^^. Not really the progress I've wanted to see. I've always had a late release and now I'm releasing the club way to quick which causes all sorts of problems especially with face control.

Back