Low Ballers - A Spin Off Thread

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
Mere hours after I posted the thread about "What's the Lowest You'll Take" people, I had a "buyer" (I put that in quotes because he can't possibly be serious) offer me 16% of my asking price.
The item is quite fairly priced at $155. I have already sold 3 of the same thing at full price, and this guy comes in, and I quote "Brother, would you take $25?" NO DUDE!

I'm ALWAYS willing to negotiate, but you don't start off at 16% if you want me to take you seriously. Try 85% or so, and let me counter.

I didn't respond, and I won't, as I don't like to waste any more time on people like this.

How do you feel about this practice?

Hahaha, I hope he at least meant 125.

If not...shooters gotta shoot.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I guess my question would be if these things bother someone so much, why even give the option of best offer.

Just list a price and someone can either buy it or not, right?

I guess my question would be if these things bother someone so much, why even give the option of best offer.

Just list a price and someone can either buy it or not, right?
This thing is for sale on facebook. There's no "offer" option, but as I mentioned, I'm always willing to negotiate. I have no problem having a little back and forth.

Glad to see that you didn't respond, thats just an insult

What is the item?

Glad to see that you didn't respond, thats just an insult

What is the item?
I had made a set of laser engraved, velcro backed tags for use on motion picture cameras for a couple of friends, and decided to make more until I ran out of material.

That is one of the good things about Ebay. You can set it to auto-decline stupid offers. I usually set it to decline anything less than 80% of the asking price. I think that is a reasonable starting point for negotiation.

I don’t mind offers, but you’re right - there’s generally an accepted starting point for both sides.

Man, I've felt bad starting at 90% before. 16% is crazy.

I don’t get offended by someone low balling me. It’s a simple yes or no (I do get a little pissed if I’m doing a car boot or yard sale and I have something for sale for a dollar and they offer me something like 5 cents LOL). We’ve just put an offer on a house. It was dropped $30k 4 weeks ago. I wanted to put an offer in $20k under the new asking price and my wife refused saying we were low balling. What???? We ended up putting an offer in of full asking price!!!

I never directly turn away a sale. If I miss setting an auto-decline price and get one of these, I generally come back with a full price or close to it counteroffer.

Is an ~85% offer insulting? I once offered $165 on a $190 listing. The seller came back with $189.81.

I have been known to hit some low balls in my day.

I like buying golf and camera stuff in Craig’s and Facebook. I do my quick research and if item is good price range I just buy them at asking price. If it’s way over price I just don’t even bother. I don’t low ball them. Maybe it’s worth that much for them. Not my business.
I sold few items in past and I did got a many low ball offer and I just say nope!
The one I hate the most is “I pay cash”
It says cash only on ads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I've bought something where the seller priced it what I thought was a little high. I offered what I thought was a fair price (I think about 70%) and the seller accepted it. I was actually a little surprised.

That said, I really dont like throwing a low ball price unless I feel like its wildly overpriced and even then I have to ask myself why I'm even offering to buy this thing. Basically it comes down to something I kinda want but not so much to actually just buy it at whatever price.

I just reply no, unless it is insulting, then they might get a smart ass comment. The things is, anyone who starts negotiating at 10% of normal value will never get to your lowest acceptable price. eBay is much worse, I’ve gotten $100 offers on new $1400 irons. The other thing that is annoying is when they ask 40 questions and then come in with the lowball.

Here’s another take on this.

You know and I know an item is worth $150.
The seller lists it at $200.
If someone buys it at the $200 good for the seller, but maybe he set the price so high in knowing DB’s will come in with a lower offer and what do know it’s within that $150 range and seller accepts.

Here’s another take on this.

You know and I know an item is worth $150.
The seller lists it at $200.
If someone buys it at the $200 good for the seller, but maybe he set the price so high in knowing DB’s will come in with a lower offer and what do know it’s within that $150 range and seller accepts.
My counter to this is simply that an items value is exactly what someone is willing to pay. So if he sets the price at $200, and someone buys it, it was worth $200, even if we were sure it was worth $150.

My counter to this is simply that an items value is exactly what someone is willing to pay. So if he sets the price at $200, and someone buys it, it was worth $200, even if we were sure it was worth $150.
My counter- Yes but when I want something bad enough I don’t care what the price is I’ll pay it..

I think you are getting a bit too worked up about this whole issue and need to just turn it around and torture this type of buyer and have some fun with it.

That is a pretty low offer, but he obviously wanted to see if you would bite.

I'm a dick, I add their low-ball offer to my asking price as a counter offer. Price goes up for being a Richard!

Back