Lower back pain. Please prescribe me some good OTC pills.

v3.0

Reaction score
Handicap
--
My lower back is painfull when I stand over the ball, in full swing address and putting address positions. It isn't horrible, but it certainly isn't helping me! I have 3 more rounds to play this week, and while I am not much of a pill-popper, I would like to try some pills (from the drugstore or supermarket).

What kind should I get. Asperin? Ibuprofen? Other? Is one more suitable than the other?

Thanks for your help!

From someone who knows about pain, aspirin won't cut it. Ibuprofen will make it tolerable if its muscle related. Look for bio-freeze, its a topical solution similar to icy hot. Sounds like you have some deeper issues though, are 3 rounds worth further damage?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have some deeper issues though, are 3 rounds worth further damage?

Thanks! My answers (not necessarily wise) are: Maybe, and yes.

Lol, well have fun. Also stretch every chance you get during the day and especially at night and in the mornings. If you can lay on your back and have someone hold your feet and push them up toward your head keeping your legs straight. Slowly lower them making sure your helper supports most of the weight. This has gotten good results for me for loosening up a lumbar pull.

Thanks! My answers (not necessarily wise) are: Maybe, and yes.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Recently had a lower back pain issue and don't know why. Walked off the course after 8 holes. Next 2 days in bed . Went to the doctor as I thought it was muscular and he said it was skeletal. The soft tissue around one of the lower disks was inflamed and no drugs would help, just had to take it easy for a few weeks and all is well now.
If you can move side to side and lay down without pain then it’s skeletal, if it hurts all the time it’s muscular and ibuprofen is the over the counter drug of choice. All that twisting isn't going to you any good either.

I have found Aleve to be a very good OTC medication for back pain. Sadly I have graduated on from OTC. Listen to your body dude. Trust me the back is not something to permanently hurt. Cancel the 3 rounds and get to the doctor. I was putting off going to the doctors office 7 years ago because I couldn't take the time off of work. My back was killing me for 6 months. My old job had me lifting things everyday that weighed 75-100 lbs. One day I can barely stand straight due to pain and I bent over to lift a simple case of soda. 30-40 operations/procedures later I wish I had gone to the doctor. The back especially is not something to trifle with. Skip the rounds.

Thanks for the replies. I might see a doctor when I get home, and start a 3 month layoff from golf (forced, by winter). I cannot promise that I won't play this week, and I am pretty sure that I will. I should mention that the pain is not horrible, but it has been 'nagging' for quite a while. It is worse when I get into a proper golf posture than when I am slumping over the ball (which I seem to slip into automatically these days). I think I have been neglecting my posture (in real life) for quite a while now, and it doesn't help that I sit on my butt (I am being literal here) for most of my working days, and a good portion of my free time.

I always recommend Naproxen (Aleve) because of how long it lasts. Take two an hour before you go out and you will get as good of pain relief as you can over the counter. If you don't like Aleve, ibuprofen is my next choice. 600mg (3 tabs) every 6 hours is a good "pain" dose while 800 mg every 8 hours is a good "swelling" dose. Please note that these are prescription doses and I wouldnt recommend taking these anymore than 2-3 days without seeing your doctor. This class of drugs can be very good, but can also cause a lot of stomach/GI problems if used in high doses for a long time, or if you take a couple other medications.

In general I do not recommend using Aspirin because it has a lot of other side effects (like being a blood thinner) that I prefer to avoid if at all possible. It is a decent enough of a pain killer but no sense risking the side effects if you don't need too. Tylenol is a very solid pain choice but it doesn't fight inflammation- only pain. Depending on the amount that people need to take and other medicaitons a person is on, it is often the "safest" OTC pain medication particularly when it comes to stomach problems.

SW hit the nail on the head- lower back injuries just don't appear. Most of them start with having done some damage and not streching out well enough. I know that when I get lazy about stretching my hamstrings I start to have a lot of lower back pain. It's amazing how all of our muscles are connected like that.

If you have any specific questions, shoot me a PM and I would be happy to help you out!

3 Aleve and 2 shots of Cuervo will fix you up for a round.

I too have back trouble and I find that if I take 2 Aleeve before the round I generally have no pain after. Try taking an hour before your round.

Another over looked problem could be your kidneys , I had lower back problems and when I quit drinking all pop and drinking Cran Grape juice I started feeling much better , I still have some discomfort , but I think alot is due to being a bit over weight and not having a strong core . I need to get back to working out .

If I had to take a pill I would usually take ibuprofin. That being said I have found the one thing that works the best is going for a light jog and some stretching after and my back feels so much better than it would with any pills. But as many have said, you should listen to your body and don't do something that can really affect your long term health.

Some great advice in this thread. I have had a lower back pain since I was youngen after I broke a couple vertebre in a car accident when I was like 3 or 4. I'm reading through these suggestions and taking notes. Usually I just bear the pain for the few days and don't do a whole lot. It came back on Friday and really started to pick up Christmas day big time.

Aleve it sounds like is a really good idea. I'm really glad RX posted here too, thank you!

I deal with a lot of pain due plenty of old sports injuries and what my doctors recommended is instead of taking 2 or 3 Aspirin's or Advils that it is much better to take 2 of one and 1 of the other since they kill pain in different ways. For me the best combo is 2 advil's (Ibuprofin) with one Tylenol (acetamenophin). This is of course a short term solution to get by for you before you deal with what is causing the pain in the first place.

Vicodin.

After one day of taking them every 6 hours or so, my back is always so much better.

So much depends on what's causing the pain. For me its thinning of the disc's, (old age), and I have trouble with the lower back locking up, spasms, shortness of breath and lots of pain.

Vicoden when it happens, butt since I started a lot of core muscle building they are less frequent.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Alot of people have bad posture which leads to pain, especially as we get older. Find a good Chiropractor. One who knows their stuff, not just a bone cracker. Lay off the soda is good advice for all of us. I have a friend who lost 20 lbs just by quitting soda. Back pain is a warning, a count down if you will to the big one.
It wont go away without proper steps. The bomb will go off if ignored.

Good luck

The weather forecast for the next 3 days looks pretty good. I bought some Aleve. I should be able to do some damage golfing the next couple of days! :bananadance: Mindful of my physical condition of course....

I'm not sure where you are located, but whenever I make a trip to the Great White North (Canada), I always pick up a couple bottles of their over OTC muscle relaxers. They are legal to buy OTC there, but just don't get caught bringing them across the border. I think they are considered a controlled substance.
Maybe one of our Canadian friends could clear this up?

I don't know what the rules are about bringing them across the border as I have never had to do. If its legal to do so then I think I just started a new small business!!! Who needs some???? (joking by the way)

Give me the name of the medications (brand or generic) you are talking about and I can clear up the US legal side of things for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what the rules are about bringing them across the border as I have never had to do. If its legal to do so then I think I just started a new small business!!! Who needs some???? (joking by the way)

lol i hope it isnt anything ending in -din or -cet

lol

my lower back is the only part of me that really gives me problems. I life heavy things at work and im not a very large guy - so after a long shift my back can just be giving me fits. I was a soccer player for 9 years and the doc always had me on prescription strength ibuprofen 800 MG. same thing gus said - i prefer ibuprofen for muscle aches - i usually take aspirin for headaches - and i have taken aleve before - my whole family is in the medical field - and the swear by aleve.

Id listen to gus though - hes the certified expert!

as for the vicodin - lol - yea thatll cure just about any ache!

I am back from my 1st round for this week, which I played on 2 Aleves taken 40 minutes before tee-time. My back didn't bother me much (if at all), and I managed to improve after a slow start to play the back nine quite well, which IMO is quite telling about the effectiveness of the prescription! Since it might still be in effect at this time, I am hoping that I won't have to post a retraction of my positive statements here later tonight, when the pills have worn off!

Back