Lowest spinning drivers

McKillian

Reaction score
Lanna-Drevviken, Stockholms Lan, Sweden, Sweden
Handicap
Which, in your opinion, are the lowest spinning drivers? Are there some stats on THP somewhere?

Bridgestone J33 (The Spin Killer) was one of them.

MK,
What are your spin numbers now? With the driver you have in place, it could be very easy to alter spin numbers with just a shaft change.

What about the R9 Superdeep?
From what I understand, that is one low-launching, low-spinning driver for the best among us.

I don´t know my spin numbers JB, I tried the Clevelands 270,290,310 on a monitor and had somewhere around 3300-3400 if I remember correctly?

I game a Cobra L4V and it spins like crazy and a Nickent 4dx evolver that spins less - but no numbers to back it up.

The new 910 from Titleist was low spinning as is the R11.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I was gonna say the Bridgestone but JB beat me to it, Superdeep as well and R11

Super deep, not supertri?

J38 as mentioned. Extremely low spin.

Also the MX700 is supposed to be pretty low
And I game the L5V which is very low.

Throw the i15 into the mix as well. I barely registered 1800rpm's with that thing

The D3 of the 910 line will also spin less then the D2

Actually the L4V is low spinning. Very low. Are you playing the factory Diamana Redboard in it? If so that is the culprit as I found out.

If you go through old threads in cyberland about that driver you will see most everyone with a mid-high swing speed changed shafts for that reason. If you change shafts you will be shocked at how different the head performs.

Both the Ping G15 and K15 spun very low for me with stock shaft. Surprisingly the K15 spun 100-200 less than the G15. K15 was low 2000's and G15 didn't go above 2500. I have yet to hit my K15 (non stock shaft) on the LM, but I can't imagine it is spinning higher than the stock shaft. Take JBs advice as there are a lot of shafts out there that will reduce spin and can breathe new life into your current driver.

Adams 9064LS spun WAY to low for me.

Tap before talk.

Actually the L4V is low spinning. Very low. Are you playing the factory Diamana Redboard in it? If so that is the culprit as I found out.

If you go through old threads in cyberland about that driver you will see most everyone with a mid-high swing speed changed shafts for that reason. If you change shafts you will be shocked at how different the head performs.

I do play it with stock Diamana red. I´ll look for that thread - should be an interesting read.

The SuperTri is not low spinning.

Reminds me of a couple of times I actually put so much back spin on my drive (Using the supertri) the ball actually went backwards rather than hardly rolling forward.

The SuperTri is not low spinning.

Why the talk about spin? I love my SuperTri and was fitted for it by hitting, I think, 5 shafts and the RIP 70X turned the SuperTri into a beast for me. Our fitter probably mentioned spin but I didn't know the significance of it. What got my attention was that the ball started flying long high and straight but only with that shaft. His fitting bay has a doppler radar to measure distance and actual ball flight since it opens to the outside. I carried the club for a few days with the same results on the course, now I own it.

What type of golfer is the low spin driver an advantage for? Or, is low spin an advantage for every golfer?

Why the talk about spin? I love my SuperTri and was fitted for it by hitting, I think, 5 shafts and the RIP 70X turned the SuperTri into a beast for me. Our fitter probably mentioned spin but I didn't know the significance of it. What got my attention was that the ball started flying long high and straight but only with that shaft. His fitting bay has a doppler radar to measure distance and actual ball flight since it opens to the outside. I carried the club for a few days with the same results on the course, now I own it.

What type of golfer is the low spin driver an advantage for? Or, is low spin an advantage for every golfer?

As a high spin player (I tend to generate plenty) the Supertri, as much as I love it, just didn't work well for me at all. Even with my low launching after market shaft, I still saw too much spin for my liking.

That's the beauty of options I suppose. There's so much good options out there that it's easy to find what's perfect for almost all of us if we take the time and take bias out of the equation.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Why the talk about spin? I love my SuperTri and was fitted for it by hitting,

I too love the SuperTri and played it for about a year.

I think spin is an important launch number just as any other. To be honest, I also think its the most overused number in all of fitting in terms of everybody believing they want lower spinning when in actuality, many many amateur golfers need more spin.

Spin is used to launch and carry. It is as important as any other launch number to get it to the proper place for your ideal launch conditions.

I too love the SuperTri and played it for about a year.

I think spin is an important launch number just as any other. To be honest, I also think its the most overused number in all of fitting in terms of everybody believing they want lower spinning when in actuality, many many amateur golfers need more spin.

Spin is used to launch and carry. It is as important as any other launch number to get it to the proper place for your ideal launch conditions.

Launch and carry, that makes sense. I get lots of spin in every club and always have hit drivers high and far until the original R9. It didn't launch very well nor carry as far for me (stock shaft) So that was probably the result of too low spin? (We didn't have the launch monitor facility then)

Thanks for the info.

Launch and carry, that makes sense. I get lots of spin in every club and always have hit drivers high and far until the original R9. It didn't launch very well nor carry as far for me (stock shaft) So that was probably the result of too low spin? (We didn't have the launch monitor facility then)

Thanks for the info.

The original R9 was more of a low spinning head.

I´ve been aiming for higher launches to get more Carry and distance. Even been in the gym all winter doing a lot of rotational work to get stronger. Well it helped a lot, unfortunately the increase in power gets lost on all the spinn and altitude I generate. My driver used to be very low launching with a lot of bounce and roll out - now its very high with no roll. Longest roll I had yesterday was like 5-10 meters. So for me the spin is a big issue right now - hence the thread.

Good point on shafts though, maybe I should re-name the thread to what shafts make your driver spin less?:D

I usually prefer a lower spinning driver because I get more distance and roll out. I recently pulled the R9 Supertri out of the closet and although it is difinitely a higher spin driver than the Cleveland SL290, my accuracy has improved. I hit the SL290 longer when caught in the center of the face however I have seen more accuracy with the R9. It could be from the setting that I use, with the upright setting which gives me more loft. I find for me a bit higher loft like a 11 or 11.5 gives me more FIR. The R9 has that option built in to raise or lower the loft so it has been in my bag this past weekend with good results.

I usually prefer a lower spinning driver because I get more distance and roll out. I recently pulled the R9 Supertri out of the closet and although it is difinitely a higher spin driver than the Cleveland SL290, my accuracy has improved. I hit the SL290 longer when caught in the center of the face however I have seen more accuracy with the R9. It could be from the setting that I use, with the upright setting which gives me more loft. I find for me a bit higher loft like a 11 or 11.5 gives me more FIR. The R9 has that option built in to raise or lower the loft so it has been in my bag this past weekend with good results.

My SuperTri is set on neutral upright. Does that translate to more loft?

R9, R9 SuperDeep, R11, D2, Tour version of Nike and Callaway
You do want to look at the shaft you are playing and the stiffness too...

Your spin numbers weren't too bad with the Cleveland. Is you current spin robbing you of distance or rollout? if not, no need to change

I was having problems with 5-6000 rpms with the supertri, now with the r11 I am 2800-31000

R9, R9 SuperDeep, R11, D2, Tour version of Nike and Callaway
You do want to look at the shaft you are playing and the stiffness too...

Your spin numbers weren't too bad with the Cleveland. Is you current spin robbing you of distance or rollout? if not, no need to change

I was having problems with 5-6000 rpms with the supertri, now with the r11 I am 2800-31000

Probably a typo, but good god that's a lot of spin. I suppose the 5 rpms off the supertri is a little low as well :D

Back