JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Two players were handed 2 stroke penalties at Q-School after Christina Kim saw it and reported the two of them. This has turned into a firestorm so to speak as Golf Channel's Robert Damron and Golfweek's Geoff Shackelford have said she is full of it and it doesn't happen often.

Lisa Cornwell from Golf Channel has a different take on the matter.

Isn’t shot or club solicitation from anyone other than your caddie during a normal event considered a penalty? How do you not know this?

I’d also add that Kim should have said something immediately rather than waiting.

I’d also add that Kim should have said something immediately rather than waiting.
Agree 100%, she should have told rules official immediately.

• Admin

Yeah I am not sure I have an issue with Kim saying something. I dont think anyway. I do have an issue with the way she has handled it though.
And my gawd Im not sure anybody in all of golf is more stuck in the stone age than Shackelford.

I think this whole thing could have been avoided if the dumb rule wasn't in place to begin with

Yeah I am not sure I have an issue with Kim saying something. I dont think anyway. I do have an issue with the way she has handled it though.
And my gawd Im not sure anybody in all of golf is more stuck in the stone age than Shackelford.

It almost came off as she was unsure by waiting but if you read her comments she claims she knew it was wrong. I wonder if this benefited her in the standings of that tournament?

• Admin
It almost came off as she was unsure by waiting but if you read her comments she claims she knew it was wrong. I wonder if this benefited her in the standings of that tournament?

I have wondered that myself, but dont think it was the case. The entire thing is so bizarre and it has become in some ways a crusade for relevancy on the surface, which I dont believe is the intent. What i can't figure out is CK said she said something to rules official immediately to check to see if it was an infraction. Does that mean she is saying it took the rules official 12 holes to verify?

But further more, if this is a rule that Shackelford says never happens and everybody knows, why did CK need to have it verified at all and should have just declared it. Then, Karen Stupples brought up a good point. Why did CK never speak to the players.

This furthers with her assessment that she had a similar issue on the LET and someone pointed out the infraction and she thanked them and gave herself a penalty. Why would she not give these two players the same chance? They may have played completely differently.

I think this whole thing could have been avoided if the dumb rule wasn't in place to begin with
With as many dumb rules as there are, I do not believe this is actually one of them. Knowing club selection and distances of opponents in this case is actually extremely helpful. If one group is better at it than another, it could absolutely prove to be an advantage over other players.

As for that, I've never played a single fully competitive round of golf that has used every rule to a T that the tours do, but even I know you can't do this. I'm baffled that someone who has played enough golf to be good enough for any tour, doesn't know this rule and is playing ignorant to it. Sounds like she got caught and is trying to make excuses. "Owning" it or not, trying to say you don't know this is a rule is very very hard to believe.

I wonder if the problem is more because she did it publically, opposed to watching her hit (or looking into the bag) and then saying, "well she just hit 6 iron there, and...". Basically, one of them keeps it between player and caddie, and the other lets an observant third player in the group and caddie know.

It does seem kind of archaic in the scheme of things. We all can physically look in the opponent's bag and see what iron is missing, or read the number on the bottom of the sole of the club, but anything else is a penalty?

Kim's twitter feed is laced with commentary. She's very much into it.

Yes it is. Despite saying no more haha.
I get it, people want to know. I dont necessarily think her decision is a wrong one, but this could have been handled both during and post, so much better.

It will be interesting to see how the fallout from this rules issue affects Kim going forward. Being that she is clearly the most well known of those involved, she has the most to lose. She may have done the right thing but she may have handled it in such a fashion that it could be held against her. I'm not sure that social media is the proper forum to attempt to explain one's actions in a rules issue.

It's funny how selective the rulings can be applied. When a majority of the players out there (I hear the LPGA is awful for this) are playing slower than what is claimed to be legal, yet very few are every adequately penalized for it..... how are things like this brought to such significant light?

My main thought here, is that if it is a regular occurrence on tour, and it's all knowingly regular, I think this sucks. Since I am not out there and I don't have a real pulse on it, Kim is not wrong. If she sees an infraction and knowingly ignores it, she could technically be DQed. None of it is wrong... But then again, no one is going to call her on seeing something and not saying something if it happens ALL the time haha

It will be interesting to see how the fallout from this rules issue affects Kim going forward. Being that she is clearly the most well known of those involved, she has the most to lose. She may have done the right thing but she may have handled it in such a fashion that it could be held against her. I'm not sure that social media is the proper forum to attempt to explain one's actions in a rules issue.
Out of curiosity, what does she really have to lose? She's got a club deal and barely has a tour card.

Out of curiosity, what does she really have to lose? She's got a club deal and barely has a tour card.

Reputation as opposed to sponsor money, club deals, or tour card.

What i can't figure out is CK said she said something to rules official immediately to check to see if it was an infraction. Does that mean she is saying it took the rules official 12 holes to verify?
That's how I read it yesterday as well. She was thinking it might have been gray area, mentioned it to an official and the official came back after taking it to their higher up, whomever that may be. I wonder how the reaction would have been if she mentioned it to the other players and it turned out to be no violation, like anyone else around or in the gallery overhearing a player talk to their caddie. Then she's trying to throw players under the bus even though they didn't do anything wrong. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Here's what the other "victim", Dewi Weber, had to say about this in Dutch media.

Kendall Dye made her gestures to Weber's caddie about club selection, while Weber herself was in her preshot routine - she didn't know about it. The hand signal used indicated an 8 iron, but Weber had a 9 iron actually. Weber admits she knows the rule, but wasn't aware of the interaction between Kendall and her caddie.
CK decided to wait until after the round to report it. Weber would have handled it differently. CK told Weber she waited until after the round so it wouldn't impact their play.

The interview continues giving more details on Weber's point of view. She accepts the ruling, but doesn't like the way CK went about it on Twitter. Weber could not deal with it mentally and broke down after round 6 of Q-school, eventually missing out on the LPGA. She also argues this happens a lot more on tour without consequences. She admits she should have been stronger leaving this incident behind her and still make the tour card. In any case she is not happy with what went on on CK's twitter and the reactions found there.

The link to the interview is here (Google translate): https://translate.google.com/transl...0411-dewi-weber-regelincident-qschool-pgatour

I'm still not sure as to why she felt the need to take it to social media. I feel this falls into the "don't air your dirty laundry" category.

Saw this from CPG today and it made me chuckle.

92e37e0db10e19fc18853c332abf7bac.jpg

So someone broke a rule and was penalized. Defense is that everyone does it. OK, that's weaksauce. And the person who caught the rule infringement immediately checked in with a rules official but took an incremental and cautious approach for how she brought it forward. And there were unhappy people. In the old world, they would talk directly and move on or fight or something. One way or another, the issue finds an appropriately discrete conclusion. But in today's world, it goes to social media where it takes on a destructive life of its own. One could also infer that taking it to social media is a way to shame other lpga players from catching others breaking the rules: "we will take it to social media and destroy you." This is a mess all the way around.

Here's what the other "victim", Dewi Weber, had to say about this in Dutch media.

Kendall Dye made her gestures to Weber's caddie about club selection, while Weber herself was in her preshot routine - she didn't know about it. The hand signal used indicated an 8 iron, but Weber had a 9 iron actually. Weber admits she knows the rule, but wasn't aware of the interaction between Kendall and her caddie.
CK decided to wait until after the round to report it. Weber would have handled it differently. CK told Weber she waited until after the round so it wouldn't impact their play.

The interview continues giving more details on Weber's point of view. She accepts the ruling, but doesn't like the way CK went about it on Twitter. Weber could not deal with it mentally and broke down after round 6 of Q-school, eventually missing out on the LPGA. She also argues this happens a lot more on tour without consequences. She admits she should have been stronger leaving this incident behind her and still make the tour card. In any case she is not happy with what went on on CK's twitter and the reactions found there.

The link to the interview is here (Google translate): https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.golf.nl/nieuws/2019/nov/0411-dewi-weber-regelincident-qschool-pgatour
This is good info.

Kind of funny how often it's getting repeated that it happens on a regular basis. If that's the case, and this is one of the few samples where it's actually charged against players, I think it's crazy silly.

Still not condoning it as it's against the rules, but looking at it very much the same as I do slow play not getting called. On the tour to not allow it at all. If they aren't adequately policing it, I sympathize with the players getting penalized for it in a cherry picking fashion.

The twitter battle is the worst part about it. Just shut up already, CK.

The twitter battle is the worst part about it. Just shut up already, CK.

And it appears as though that is one of the sticking points from the other players.

Under 20 C 2, if Kim hadn't done this, she could have been DQed.

I am a newbie and even I know this rule.

Just because everyone does it, does not make it legal.

i.e. everyone drives 10+ over the limit on the highway, but if a cop pulls you over and you get a ticket, tough cookies, you were breaking the rules.

That being said, the rule banning asking what club was hit, etc is one of the dumber rules in golf, IMHO

Back