her assessment that she had a similar issue on the LET and someone pointed out the infraction and she thanked them and gave herself a penalty. Why would she not give these two players the same chance? They may have played completely differently.

Under 20 C 2, if Kim hadn't done this, she could have been DQed.

I am a newbie and even I know this rule.

Just because everyone does it, does not make it legal.

i.e. everyone drives 10+ over the limit on the highway, but if a cop pulls you over and you get a ticket, tough cookies, you were breaking the rules.

That being said, the rule banning asking what club was hit, etc is one of the dumber rules in golf, IMHO

See above. Why not give the same treatment she was thankful she got?

people can call it a dumb rule all they want, but its a rule. We all know other pros like to know what someone hit on a certain tee box when they are hitting first, but generally they look in that players bag or their caddy does. That is not against the rules. or they just pay attention when the caddy flashes the TV analyst gopher the club sign.
Its funny when you are playing a Saturday morning round with the guys, and someone will ask, what did you hit, then look at you funny if you say, "i really can't tell you that"....when do you follow the rules and when do you not?

Last edited:
Under 20 C 2, if Kim hadn't done this, she could have been DQed.

I am a newbie and even I know this rule.

Just because everyone does it, does not make it legal.

i.e. everyone drives 10+ over the limit on the highway, but if a cop pulls you over and you get a ticket, tough cookies, you were breaking the rules.

That being said, the rule banning asking what club was hit, etc is one of the dumber rules in golf, IMHO
I have a question. If this happens ALL the time according to many talking about it, do you think this is the first time CK has ever seen it occur?

This is one of golfs rules I don’t think is dumb. Knowing what someone else hit can be extremely helpful, to the detriment of the rest of the field.

I think it’s just about ludicrous for the one player to claim she didn’t know this rule.

Not sure about the rest of the story...I guess it gets the LPGA some attention????

It's funny how selective the rulings can be applied. When a majority of the players out there (I hear the LPGA is awful for this) are playing slower than what is claimed to be legal, yet very few are every adequately penalized for it..... how are things like this brought to such significant light?

My main thought here, is that if it is a regular occurrence on tour, and it's all knowingly regular, I think this sucks. Since I am not out there and I don't have a real pulse on it, Kim is not wrong. If she sees an infraction and knowingly ignores it, she could technically be DQed. None of it is wrong... But then again, no one is going to call her on seeing something and not saying something if it happens ALL the time haha
I think the difference is one is under the Tour’s watchful eye and the other is mostly on the players. Apples to oranges.

I think the difference is one is under the Tour’s watchful eye and the other is mostly on the players. Apples to oranges.
There are officials all over the golf course, not to mention the amount of television coverage. Not unlike sand-gate where a speck of sand moved in a backswing, this should be extremely obvious if it's genuinely occurring the way it's been presented.

I don't think it's apples to oranges at all.

There are officials all over the golf course, not to mention the amount of television coverage. Not unlike sand-gate where a speck of sand moved in a backswing, this should be extremely obvious if it's genuinely occurring the way it's been presented.

I don't think it's apples to oranges at all.
That one was a debacle. Well, there was a penalty, but we're not going to tell the other player in the playoff in case she decides to go for it in two and ends up in the water, 'cuz then we got some drama again...

This is one of golfs rules I don’t think is dumb. Knowing what someone else hit can be extremely helpful, to the detriment of the rest of the field.
I think it’s just about ludicrous for the one player to claim she didn’t know this rule.
Not sure about the rest of the story...I guess it gets the LPGA some attention????
You think it's smart that someone can't ask a caddie what that player has hit, but there is no rule that says they can't walk over to their bag and find out for themselves?

I don't think the way it's written genuinely protects the rest of the field.

That one was a debacle. Well, there was a penalty, but we're not going to tell the other player in the playoff in case she decides to go for it in two and ends up in the water, 'cuz then we got some drama again...
The biggest hole here for our speculation is how much it actually occurs out there. I'm not going to sit here and pretend like it does or does not happen all the time (genuinely do not know), nor do I feel bad for anyone who does it getting called on it by someone looking to gain some sort of advantage, but I also don't sympathize with someone who sees it regularly and selectively calls it (again pure speculation based on argument).

Sure as hell benefited CK in this case. Gets her card, gets to spend all week on social media being 'relevant' etc etc.

I have a question. If this happens ALL the time according to many talking about it, do you think this is the first time CK has ever seen it occur?
Any answer I give would be pure speculation.

I just had an unrelated thought that might just save the golfing world.

Since golf is player-policed why the hell can't one player assess a slow play penalty on another player?

Any answer I give would be pure speculation.
When I don't have any facts, I like to go off the next best thing: hearsay and rumor.

That is why I said "think" and not "know" haha

Threads like these ARE pure speculation. May as well have some fun with it.
Then I think she has.

My issue with anyone pointing fingers at Kim is that she did nothing wrong as far as the rules go.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I don't know if knowing the number on the club is that big of a help to even warrant a penalty. I hit my 8i, for example, a different distance than any of my playing partners and even if they know I hit an 8i I only know if I choked down, swung at 90% or made solid contact, all of which would figure into how far the ball goes.

Last edited:
Caddies signal the on course announcers, that is normal. The caddie signalling another caddie I doubt. Now I am sure they look in the bag to see what they hit but it is different. I don't get not knowing the rule, like everyone knows club selection = advice, stated distance = not advice.

I highly doubt LPGA Q school had on air announcers following groups so the caddies should NOT be flashing club numbers. If you want them to know just don't put a towel over the bag

I feel bad for Weber if her caddie did it and she didn't know about it. I would be very unhappy with my caddie if that was the case.

Whether it happens all the time or not I play a tiny bit of competitive golf and I know the rule and would never ask anyone. I would expect a pro to know it. It is certainly and advantage as after 2 or 3 holes I would expect players know how their partners hit the ball and are able to club off them.

Regarding what Kim did I think she was wrong to wait. Knowing about the penalty might change a players strategy. Being more aggressive on a putt they need or trying to reach a par 5 in two for example. I would want to know right away if I was in that situation.

Back