M6 Quandary? Update.

RayG

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Well- I had some thoughts about the M6 possibly being ‘defective’ and scheduled a Tour Van Fitting at the PGA Superstore. It always seemed to be ‘dead’ when I nutted one, but it would take off like a rocket on an off center hit. So I was either looking for vindication it was a problem, or a gut check to find out that I suck.
It appears to be a little of both. The fitter couldn’t see a “major” issue with the M6, but it didn’t seem to “pop” like it should. But not enough to warrant any action from TM. Okay- that’s fine. What else is out there that I could try? The “I suck” part is a bit of a gut check. Using the Foresight Quad, my SS has dropped to 99/98 from 102 3 years ago. We went through the Cobras, Ping G410/425, Srixon, Sim 2 Max, and Wilson D9. (Using ProV1’s) All improved in distance by 10-12 yds, but dispersion was an issue and spin was too high. Didn’t like the ‘feel’ or sound of the Max and Cobras. He then said: “Hold on a sec”. I took a breather for a couple of minutes. He came back with the Tour Edge C721/Hazardous Smoke S shaft 10.5 notched down to 9.5. What a difference. Shaft was also 3/4” shorter. Dispersion closed in, distance was comparable to the longest of the others with spin rates closer to 2K. The others were up to 2400. Liked the control and flight with a slightly lower launch. Slight mis-hits weren’t punished too badly, either. That 3/4” makes a difference. Hit quite a few that had ‘that sound’- a bit more of a click than a thud when centered. But not as tinny as the Pings.
And what a bargain compared to the high prices of the others. With the trade in for the M6 and the credit you get for doing the fitting, all in it came to $265.
The Tour Edge “Ridgeback” seems to be the “value” performance darling of the various YouTubers out there as well. I’m glad he brought it up- because I was going to ask about it anyway. So- quandary kinda solved and we’ll see what happens on course next time out.

Sounds like you did well. I would have also suggested Callaway Epic Speed and possibly Srixon ZX5 or ZX7 as other candidates.

The Tour Edge line is low key awesome...

Forgot- did both of those as well. TE still outperformed. For me, anyway.

Oh, and I brought along my R7 Quad as a comparison. Okay- so tech REALLY has come along since 1995 or whatever. As good as I ‘felt’ I hit it, SS and distance were down pretty dramatically. It had the dispersion and flight I liked, just that it was 20 yards shorter, so I won’t be using that one anymore.

Just note swing speed can vary a good amount. Day to day even hour to hour. How Warmed up you are, how much rest youve had, how much energy you have etc. 3mph isn’t anything major. Tomorrow you could go back and it be 104.

Just note swing speed can vary a good amount. Day to day even hour to hour. How Warmed up you are, how much rest youve had, how much energy you have etc. 3mph isn’t anything major. Tomorrow you could go back and it be 104.
Yeah- but I had gone to range before to warm up, and got to hit several in the bay to get used to the indoor venue (always seem to get skeeved on these things). I may have touched the 102/103 SS a couple of times, but I was over swinging and results were quickly deleted from the samples. Maybe as the season progresses and my timing gets in sync, it will come back up a bit. And don’t knock 3MPH... that’s 10 yards of carry! (If the adage of 3 yds per mph is still a thing).

Back