Danilo

Master Blaster!!
Reaction score
Handicap
17.xx
My trusty mac is starting to get on my bad side!! (where I keep memories of the Bear Trap etc...)

First, a few weeks ago, the day I wrote my review on the Bridgestone ball testing... The DVD/CD Reader/Burner died on me... not a big deal, when I bought the computer in Dec.07 I paid 300 bux for extended 3 year service/warranty... and it was the first time it ever acted up on me.
Long story short... drop it off at Mac store, they replace the drive, and it was back in my hands next day (3 days quoted repair time)
Well, Last Tuesday, I'm hard at work reading the board, and *black* screen goes off... Turns out that my "logic board" (read as Macs Video card I guess) died on me...
I dropped it off Thrusday night, and been mooching off my GF's Mac (which she bought the day mine died)
Even though I'm using a computer identical to mine... it's not mine... I want my Mac back!!! And I want it to stop acting up, cause I only have 38 days left of warranty!!

Score 1 for PC I guess??

Sorry you're having issues Danilo, sucks when I computer is acting up. Almost three years without issues is good though.... better than I've gotten with PCs.....

Sorry that is happening. You usually don't have many problems with Macs. How much does a extended warranty cost?

Hey Danilio:

The logic board of a Mac is what they call the motherboard and since you have a laptop, the video card is built into the board (higher end units have a dedicated seperate video card). Long story short, you will either get a brand new motherboard installed in the unit or a referb one from China. If the logic board goes again after your Apple Care is up, bin the unit. It's more expensive to replace the logic board then buy a new unit (most logic board repair costs range in the $800 to $1400 range)

Sorry that is happening. You usually don't have many problems with Macs. How much does a extended warranty cost?

The 3 year warranty was almost 300 bux.

Hey Danilio:

The logic board of a Mac is what they call the motherboard and since you have a laptop, the video card is built into the board (higher end units have a dedicated seperate video card). Long story short, you will either get a brand new motherboard installed in the unit or a referb one from China. If the logic board goes again after your Apple Care is up, bin the unit. It's more expensive to replace the logic board then buy a new unit (most logic board repair costs range in the $800 to $1400 range)

I really hope that this is the last issue I have with this Mac!! I love the computer, and I hate the new style Macbook Pro keyboards!! they look like a kids toy, all spaced out :(
Apple called me today to let me know that the computer should be back at the store tomorrow, or Thursday the latest!!

I hate to hear your Mac is giving fits , as mine have all been good little girls ..... LOL
Usually Apple are good to take care of their customers , and even though their extended warranty is a bit high , its a good purchase imo .

All computers fails, I think I just saw a stat that 33% of laptops fail within 3 years. Laptops are susceptible to heat and depending on use those components fail. Sorry ya having a bad streak, hopefully they get it all repaired be fire ya warranty. I had a Sony crap out on me one week after the 3 yr warranty was up lol. Crazy how that works.

Cg13: Those numbers are pretty close depending on if you're talking about a personal laptop, business grade or Mac. A personal laptop from a Bestbuy or the like has a life expectancy of just over two years if it's a good brand, and just over a year and a half for the cheaper ones. The average Mac book life is about 3 and 3/4 years. Most business grade laptops are in the 3 and 3/4 to 4 and a 1/2 range.

Danilo: Hope you get it back soon and it keeps working like a charm!

Picked it up today, Feels nice to have it... It's way easier to get on here since I have it bookmarked at the top of the page, and don't have to log in!! :)

Good to hear you got your Mac back! My DVD carped out on my MBP just after the 3-year warranty was up. (How does it know to do that?!?) Anyway, nothin' that a $40 external DVD burner couldn't fix.

Back