MacBook, Apple TV etc.

ripper

Reaction score
Handicap
So, in the latest installment of "ripper knows nothing about technology" I have a question for you guys who do. I am very interested in Apple TV and that got me interested in a Mac Book. I love the idea that since I live in another country right now, I can use Facetime to call my folks and have them see their grandchild (they have a Mac). Also Apple TV would allow me I think to get more movies than I can here in Mexico and I also get NHL games. The synergy between Apple TV and a Mac Book seems like it is there, and the ICloud would seem to tie it all in with my Ipod.

My concern is whether I need to go all Apple or would PCs do the same thing. I dont do any graphic design, just surf the web, watch videos and other basic stuff. Also, is the combo I have in mind a good one or should something be added or removed?

I appreciate any help guys, as I have stated before, I know this is a golf forum, but I value your opinions much more than any one else I could ask.

I currently have most of the Apple line. I do drink the Kool-Aid. I have a Macbook Air, Mac Mini, iPad 2, iPhone 4 and Apple TV. I don't think you need to have a Macbook to make the Apple TV work for you. It will connect to your iTunes on a PC no problem. I do think you have less problems when connecting Apple products to Apple products. One of my favor things that Apple has is Airplay. I can play what ever is playing on my iPad or iPhone through he Apple TV by the click of a button. It is really great for streaming music or youtube videos on the tv or surround sound system. I think for what you want out of the Apple TV you could get away with a PC and it. I know you do have to pay for the NHL package. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks dmb that makes a lot of sense. Do you have the Apple TV hooked up to the home theater?

Thanks dmb that makes a lot of sense. Do you have the Apple TV hooked up to the home theater?

Yeah. It is hooked up to my main TV which the theater is hooked to. I love it. We stream pandora to it most of the time for music around the house.

Why would you recommend the Air over the Pro?

I just bought a refurbed macbook pro 13" from apple.com last week. I chose the pro because of cost, hard drive size (spin disk vs solid state), and the ability to watch DVDs while traveling. Not sure if this helps, but those are my reasons for choosing the pro over the air.

I just bought a refurbed macbook pro 13" from apple.com last week. I chose the pro because of cost, hard drive size (spin disk vs solid state), and the ability to watch DVDs while traveling. Not sure if this helps, but those are my reasons for choosing the pro over the air.

Cool, what model did you get? The latest one? I have been wondering if I should grab the latest model or one thats a bit older and save some money.

I have had the Apple TV since it came out and I have to say i wish I used it more, you can use airplay with the iphone ipod or mac, but I'm fairly certain you can do it through itunes as well, you woul dhave to since I stream movies from itunes through the apple TV all the time. I was unaware of the NHL package on there, but if you are looking for that and movies I would actually suggest a PS3. You get a top notch Blu Ray player, instant streaming of netflix, NHL MLB and NFL packages (for additional $$$) and you can stream music throught it, oh and play video games.

BTW you do not need a computer for the apple tv to work, it hooks up wirelessly to the internet all you need is an apple ID to get started.

Back