MAJOR Consistency Issues

icroth

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
Hey everyone!
I'm new to the site, but I've had many friends tell me this is the best place for golf talk/advice!

With that being said, I'm sort of new to golf as well. Ive been practicing for close to 2 years now and I feel like I've come a long way. I've never had a golf lesson and I've mostly just taught myself through different videos on YouTube and watching other people at the range. I've also never owned a whole set of clubs. I bought a hand-me-down set of Acuity clubs at a second-hand sports store that included a driver, 3i hybrid, 9-7 iron, 4 & 5 iron, a PW and a SW, and a putter. Since i bought them my PW has bent and my driver broke but were still going strong with whats left!

To be honest, I don't feel like I'm a bad golfer. However, there are usually 2 different golfers that show up from me and never in between. Some days I practice and I pure most of my shots and can manipulate a draw and a fade. Nevertheless, the next day I go out (usually 2 or 3 days later) I'm lucky if I even get the ball in the air. Some days I feel completely lost with no hope and other days I could shoot an 80. I find it strange that it's usually never in between the two...

Usually when things go bad bad, I end up chunking the ball pretty bad, slicing it 60 yards a foot off the ground, or topping it 30 feet. Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me...?
But, if you have had this issue, what can be done about it? How can I mentally cope with being both a good and terrible golfer with no real consistency?

First off, welcome to THP. Glad you found the game and are enjoying it.
The consistency will usually come with practice. The repeatable swing, rather than changing paths and contact with each strike will fix itself. Do you get to practice much?

First off, welcome to THP. Glad you found the game and are enjoying it.
The consistency will usually come with practice. The repeatable swing, rather than changing paths and contact with each strike will fix itself. Do you get to practice much?
I do and I don't...when I have the money to go to the range I always try and go. But, when it's tight it's hard to get more then 30-40 shots in. I'm sure we've all been there!

I do and I don't...when I have the money to go to the range I always try and go. But, when it's tight it's hard to get more then 30-40 shots in. I'm sure we've all been there!

We sure have. Good luck on your journey and I am sure some other THPers might have some drills or ideas to help.

I'm a hacker so take it for what its worth:
-I was told not to go to the range and just beat balls i.e. I hit a 7 iron until I finally hit a good one. Early on that could be 15 balls. Next time,That made me think I couldn't hit my 7 iron.
-I was told to practice hitting targets, say 100 yard stick or whatever your practice area has. Same target with different clubs. 2 or 3 balls per club. I had to figure out what I had to do to hit that target. The ball lie on the course is always different so practicing with lots of clubs but fewer balls makes sense to me. Even helps you learn how to use say a 5 iron from under a tree. Cuz there will be trees. On the range, ball flight might look good but there is no frame of reference.
-I was told , when I hit driver, and not to obsess with it, was to hit it as hard as I can , two or three times, then hit it at a target a couple times, then put that f====r away.
-I was told to practice swinging a club without a ball. Slow motion. Really concentrate on set up, back swing, down swing. Not worrying about where the ball goes. Some folks say 100 swings like that a day. No Ball. Its free.
-Take a lesson or two. If bucks are a problem, there are lots of cheaper group options available. Or try a swing video on this site.

Consistency is an issue no matter what level you play this game at I think. Don't even get me started on my issues

For a couple of years my swing had flaws that led to inconsistency regardless of practice time. I would phase in and out of good and bad shots without understanding why. Lessons have helped me tremendously. Learning about and changing my swing was a bit overwhelming at first but with commitment those efforts have been worth the effort. I didn't see results as quickly as I hoped, but my expectations were also unrealistic. My experience is that the learning curve can be fast at first and then flattens with slower progress as we improve. Also, improving my short game has been a HUGE motivator for me to improve inconsistencies with my swing. I can't overstate that from my experience. When my game around and on the greens stepped up, I started to see how I could play for scores in very different ways from tee to green.

edit: And where are my manners. Welcome! You found a great place here with THP!

Welcome to THP!

True consistency in golf is a tough nut to crack. I have been playing for 40 years and my scores can easily vary by 6 or 7 shots from one day (not just round) to the next. What is spot on one day turns into a struggle the next day. The only aspect of my game that I can say is truly consistent is my short game (minus putting). Not being a stellar ball striker, I have had plenty of practice with that throughout the years.

It sounds like you have a great attitude and that will carry you a long way. It definitely makes less aggravating. At times.:rolleyes:

Like others, I’ve been playing a little while and still fight inconsistencies in my game. It comes and goes.

There’s some good advice above. I wish you well in your pursuit.

Back