Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
When choosing a putter, naturally we typically find a shape that we like the look of and something that feels right. What if you learned that your choice might be hampering your ability to make more putts?

Could the mind and the affinity for a certain shape or style overcome this? It’s a genuine question we wanted to explore as every golfer gravitates to a certain putter.

In the THP Tech Studio, we have Chris Koske from Edel Golf and a laser setup with two cameras. The test was to find out where we aim naturally and how the putter plays such a large roll in that aspect.

We explore both putter head style as well as alignment line(s) and see what changes and why. Is your putter keeping you from the ability to make more putts? Watch the video below and find out.

After watching that, how well do you think your...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
This video just want to #1 on my must watch list. SUPER interested in this! Watching after work today...

Will be watching this after I knock off tonight. Probably several times..

Very interesting video. There is a lot more science in putting alignment than I thought. Great job @Canadan !

Seems like this would open up a lot of questions - did you choose a putter style based on stroke type or alignment? Does your alignment affect or influence your stroke type? Would you change your stroke type change if you were 💯 confident your alignment was correct?

Looks like someone should get a putter fitting.

Personally I am not a guy who worries about how a putter looks as long as I can perform with it. I bought one a couple years ago that was a very weird looking putter to most people but I just made more putts with it because it suited me better.

I had a bunch of guys tell me they wouldn’t play it because you couldn’t pick up a ball off the green with it. I always got funny looks when I told them that I didn’t care about that if I only had to use it 18 times and reach in the hole anyway wasn’t that better then over 30 times and using it to pick up gimmies? Now obviously I never made just 18 it’s in the round but it does get the point across.

I absolutely loved this, I knew it was coming and that I would, but I really did.

Aim tendencies and biases amaze me, and it’s fun to see how thorough Edel is being in fitting those.

Great video with cool info. How they can change a golfers sim perspective. Would be a super fitting experience. I was a little distracted by the shoe laces LOL.

Good video. Now I want to see the same thing with a laser pointer and something shiny on my putter.

Great video, informative, helpful.

I'll be trying something like this at home with a laser pointer, to see that I might learn if anything.

Thanks!

"Explain to me what just happened"

Love it! Great video, guys. It's always amazing how much influence those little things have before we've even start in motion. Cool stuff going on with Edel fittings. Really enjoyed that.

very cool.. Interesting what slight changes in the alignment aid can accomplish.

Watched. Very interesting. Ping has a nice blog post about different alignment options, but they don't relate that to aim bias tendencies. I would enjoy working through this kind of session. Confidence in aim is huge. As an example, I tried and stopped using a line on the ball because over the ball my eyes did not agree with what my eyes saw when lining up the ball from behind. Conflict in alignment is not good. :p

Awesome video! Would love to get on a laser to see what my aim tendencies are. From my point of view, I feel like I am pretty straight with a top line aid and a little right with a flange line aid. Would be cool to see how far off base I actually am. Haha.

I will watch with sound tonight. This should be interesting.

This was very interesting to see. It’s things like this that have me thinking about the benefits of a putter fitting.

hmm, I woulda called mega bs if someone tried to sell me that story without seeing the video.

now my mind is kinda spinning.

Great starter video for the entire Edel process.

I've had a few Edel fittings as they changed models. Around 2015, at a fitting, discovered that compact mallets with very little offset, and without sightlines but just site dot, worked well for me. That's why I have an Edel E-1 and Savage Too in the bag with a SeeMore mFGP2, which I need to send to SeeMore to take out the white lines, shorten slightly and regrip:)

In addition to the head shape and sight lines, the process once and probably still includes most or all of the following - offset, length, head weight, distance control, shaft, grip, counterweighting.

Heck, even if you did not want to purchase an Edel, I would pay money for an EDEL fitting. Go to YouTube and search David Edel and/or Edel Fitting.

An Edel Fitting takes a lot of variables out of your next purchase. I rolled a few of the new putter heads and the milling is tremendous off the face as to feel - not too soft or firm - just right. I was impressed. Better feel than the Betts I have.

Last edited:
Very interesting. The effect of alignment marks on the putters is not something that was mentioned in my putter fitting at Club Champion.

@Canadan, do you use the alignment aid on the ball or no? I wonder whether that would change things?

Very interesting. The effect of alignment marks on the putters is not something that was mentioned in my putter fitting at Club Champion.

@Canadan, do you use the alignment aid on the ball or no? I wonder whether that would change things?
I refuse. Tried it numerous times, saw how regularly i had it wrong, and then argued it more than it helped.

Personally, I use something on the green about a foot or two from the ball as my final alignment.

I went through an Edel putter fitting back in 2014 and I used that putter for about 5 years. The whole process was very eye opening and I loved that putter for a long time. Even though I've switched putters now I won't ever get rid of my Edel putter.

I refuse. Tried it numerous times, saw how regularly i had it wrong, and then argued it more than it helped.

Personally, I use something on the green about a foot or two from the ball as my final alignment.

I always thought it helped me. But, I didn't use the alignment aid most of the time in my putter fitting and made plenty of putts. I felt completely comfortable. At the end, I hit a few using the alignment aid to see whether it helped my alignment. It helped some but at that point looked weird. Given how bad my right knee is, I may punt it going forward.

What the alignment aid on the top edge or flange can do is fascinating. Thanks, Dan, that was an awesome piece of content.

I always thought it helped me. But, I didn't use the alignment aid most of the time in my putter fitting and made plenty of putts. I felt completely comfortable. At the end, I hit a few using the alignment aid to see whether it helped my alignment. It helped some but at that point looked weird. Given how bad my right knee is, I may punt it going forward.

What the alignment aid on the top edge or flange can do is fascinating. Thanks, Dan, that was an awesome piece of content.
I think my favorite part of the whole video was at the end when he tricked me into trying to cheat the system. Absolutely got me hahahaha

It's so hard to keep an open mind when you head the story and try to understand it - Going in with an open mind and a fresh perspective into a fitting is absolutely critical.

Back