Make Olympic Golf better.

Wake

Reaction score
Handicap
So you are named IOC commish, and you obviously like golf and want to see it succeed in the Olympics. What do you change for the 2020 games to insure the event is a success and golf is in the games for years to come?

I'm not sure I see anything wrong with the current setup. They have qualified players, a solid course and good format. From where I'm sitting it's just fine

Have both individual and team games ala gymnastics.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

While I would like to see some sort of team format I have no issues with the 72 hole stroke play which keeps it on an even playing field vice maybe a one sided match play pair.

I would also add a team component to it as well.

like a said before i would like to see mixed team events with one woman and one man i think it would be a good watch.

I'd love to see a team event, maybe even a 2 man best ball or something? I think most countries have 2 players, and you could even do top male/top female competitor if you wanted to do that.

But the funny thing is, now that the event has started, I really enjoyed watching it today.

This spot on. JRod is now in charge of the golf format please.

I don't mind seeing stroke play but some form of team match play per country would be awesome. Maybe teams of 2?

Also some sort of "big break" skills challenge would also be awesome. Maybe even a long drive competition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to see a team event, maybe even a 2 man best ball or something? I think most countries have 2 players, and you could even do top male/top female competitor if you wanted to do that.

But the funny thing is, now that the event has started, I really enjoyed watching it today.

i feel they should have done something different. could you imagine a lexi thompson/fowler vs lydia Ko/ danny lee match play alt shot that would be must see tv

How can you when some countries can't field a team?

Tough?

Same way gymnastics works.

But aren't there like 8 single golfers from 8
Countries competing? Let's say they placed another player just to make a two man team but they had no shot, is that fair to the guy that does.
Golf is an individual sport. We have the RC and PC already.

I think they should adapt the ncaa format. Individual stroke play the first weekend with medals rewarded then top 8 teams qualify for team match play.

I think they should adapt the ncaa format. Individual stroke play the first weekend with medals rewarded then top 8 teams qualify for team match play.

Agree completely. It would be a great format for this event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But aren't there like 8 single golfers from 8
Countries competing? Let's say they placed another player just to make a two man team but they had no shot, is that fair to the guy that does.
Golf is an individual sport. We have the RC and PC already.

You could make the team component a separate event which would allow golfers who don't qualify for the individual to be part of the team event. You're not knocking anyone out just because their country isn't strong at golf and it would add some excitement

Interesting. I didn't know every country fielded a team for every other event.

We aren't talking about other events. We are talking golf and there are 8 singles that qualified. If you're talking about team and single comp. then you need more than one player. Some that qualified are the only world class golfers their counties have.

You either exclude those countries or place a lesser player. Either way you handicap those countries that can't field teams. As singles, the lesser countries represented can at least have a shot at glory if they catch fire.

Round 1 match play based on owgr.
Round 2 stroke play and reseed based on score
Round 3 match play based on the new seeding from the stroke play
Round 4 stroke play. Last man standing at the top wins the gold.

Doesn't the NCAA allow players to compete for individual honors (and I am unsure of how they qualify) even if their team doesn't make the finals?

Back