Making swing changes while also playing

scott.french3

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Had a lesson yesterday. Working on several things as a result of the lesson. Working on proper right and left wrist positions during backswing, at impact and follow through along with lengthening backswing. But, clearly, can't have all those swing thoughts on the course. I'm thinking of working on takeaway change and lengthening backswing on the course and continue on other things during practice sessions. I did that on the range this afternoon to see what I might do on the course. Seems to work. Can dotakeaway and followthrough drills without hitting balls during a round to help muscle memory and stay loose too.

Play golf when you're playing golf; have ONE technical thought...feel that thought, stop thinking about it...make sure you can feel it (quickly) pick a target, then stop thinking focus on the target and just swing.

Messes with me if I do, so I try not to.

Play golf when you're playing golf; have ONE technical thought...feel that thought, stop thinking about it...make sure you can feel it (quickly) pick a target, then stop thinking focus on the target and just swing.
This is good advice. The more I'm in my head the worse i play

I do it, and it ends up badly.

When I don't do it, or only have one, and JUST one, it seems to be OK.

And I try to make that one a physical feeling, as in "Stick that butt out a bit more." or "Keep that left elbow straight."

Every time I start overthinking my swing while playing, the results are not good.

You might want to stop playing until your swing understands the new technique. In the meantime, practice them to death every day until they become your new habit. A few weeks of that should do it.

Heading to the course after a lesson and not having practiced it makes me think its why everyone always says its going to get worse before it gets better.

I try to follow the advice of America's greatest 20th century philosopher, Yogi Berra, who, after striking out after being told to "think" at the plate, said something like

"How can you expect a guy to think and hit at the same time!”

I would serve myself better if I thought more about managing my next shot and hardly at all about managing my next swing.

Heading to the course after a lesson and not having practiced it makes me think its why everyone always says its going to get worse before it gets better.
It's dreadful LOL! Some amazing swings where you're like this is working so well and then those swings that are a frankenstein of your past problems and new thoughts that end horribly.

When I'm hitting my irons the best, I have the sense that I have shortened my backswing. Maybe that results in more consistent contact, or my timing is better. I really don't know. If I consciously try to recreate that feel, if I think about it during the swing I will hit some of my worst shots of the day. I try to concentrate on grip, stance alignment and posture before pulling the trigger. I then try to wipe my mind of all conscious thought during the second or so it takes to swing the club.

Back