Malaska Golf - Swing Coach

I think I am all in on this approach as well. Started watching his videos and instantly improved my iron striking.

The 2 keys I focused on are turning the steering wheel right to left in the takeaway and throwing a ball at the ball in the down swing. Everything else seems to work out.

Now to transfer the feeling to the driver...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think I am all in on this approach as well. Started watching his videos and instantly improved my iron striking.

The 2 keys I focused on are turning the steering wheel right to left in the takeaway and throwing a ball at the ball in the down swing. Everything else seems to work out.

Now to transfer the feeling to the driver...

Good to hear it is working for others. I hear you about the driver man. It is like a mental block when I get this club in my hands and all my old bad habits come back. I need some sort of trigger to help me

I just happened to run across this Malaska video on putting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7RrP1DtM3o

To summarize, he says it's critical to:
1) be able to roll a ball end-over-end without the line wobbling (otherwise distance control will be off)
2) train your eyes so that: a) looking from behind the ball to the hole and b) looking from your stance - both look like the ball is aimed correctly.

I agree totally, but for the second part, I achieved it differently. After I took my SeeMore SPi putting lesson, I realized that their was a discrepancy between how I aimed (i.e., I wanted to change my line once I set up to the ball). By practicing ​a lot on my indoor putting green (it was winter), I soon got to the point where I trained my eyes & brain to be able to see the correct line from both behind the ball & from my stance.

This way, I didn't have to change my stance or the ball position. Although his way should work too, I think there's more than one way to get #2 achieved.

I just watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V6-n-bRPn8

I really liked from 7:35 -9:30. Best Quote: "People have a golf swing in them; it's instinct." But then he goes on to say we don't do a good job of relating it to movement patterns that are already known. Hence the "Throw ball at teeing area" drills.

And later on, from 11:35-13:30 I love what he says about range vs course: "The biggest difference between the range and the course is the time between shots". I never really thought about it that way before. Another good quote at 12:44: "You have to change your understanding of the task you're trying to create."

So I started to put a little more time and effort into working this program as of late and man did it pay off today on the course. I just was able to keep it simple and implement his teaching within my game. I really hit the ball extremely well tee to green. I am really working on making center face contact with every club and the results where there for me today. I had no penalty shots with the driver which is a complete change from the last round when I had 6 total. Playing from the fairway was a lot of fun haha

His simplicity in his teaching methods really is helpful for me. I do not have the time to practice my swing but I can do little things at home that can help to prepare me for the course when I get the chance to play.

Spent the money for his online program for the month to month rate. I assume that once the Winter is over I will cancel but I wanted to keep my options open.

I am going to spend more time this Winter practicing his fundamentals and teachings. Crazy to think but I am actually excited to go practice some of the drills I learned last night while making my way through his M-System Teaching modules.

I think his split grip drill is going to be a game changer for me... All thanks to the man @ChristopherKee thanks again for your recommendation! I owe you

Any time I start seeing bad swings I go over the Malaska swing thoughts/method and start striping the ball again.

Spent the money for his online program for the month to month rate. I assume that once the Winter is over I will cancel but I wanted to keep my options open.

I am going to spend more time this Winter practicing his fundamentals and teachings. Crazy to think but I am actually excited to go practice some of the drills I learned last night while making my way through his M-System Teaching modules.

I think his split grip drill is going to be a game changer for me... All thanks to the man @ChristopherKee thanks again for your recommendation! I owe you
Split grip, steering wheel and throwing a ball at the ball have done wonders for my iron striking.

I'm glad I am not the only one. I also joined his site and really like his teaching style. I have only been working on the drills etc for about a week or two but I think they are paying off. I was a little off in my round yesterday so I started using the L to L drill swing and was making great contact.

One of my favorite sections on his site are the segmented golf lessons with ordinary hacks like me.

I'm glad I am not the only one. I also joined his site and really like his teaching style. I have only been working on the drills etc for about a week or two but I think they are paying off. I was a little off in my round yesterday so I started using the L to L drill swing and was making great contact.

One of my favorite sections on his site are the segmented golf lessons with ordinary hacks like me.
Glad to hear man. I also like how he separates his ideas into sections and provides instruction and then drills to work on to practice those skills.

Center-face contact is key

Last edited:
Glad to hear man. I also like how he separates his ideas into sections and provides institution and then drills to work on to practice those skills.

Center-face contact is key

I made great strides with a lot of golf swing theory when coaching others. Especially with Malaska specific teachings. When doing some coaching I found me myself truly understanding what Mike was talking about much better. I'm pretty versed in multiple swing teachings and styles and find Malaska golf to be one of the easier to get results with.

I made great strides with a lot of golf swing theory when coaching others. Especially with Malaska specific teachings. When doing some coaching I found me myself truly understanding what Mike was talking about much better. I'm pretty versed in multiple swing teachings and styles and find Malaska golf to be one of the easier to get results with.

I am really excited to get to the range and practice some of his drills. I have been doing some at home but not to the extend that I need to. I have never wanted to practice more than play but I guess it helps to have a plan... Someone really wise helped me figure that out :act-up:

I am really excited to get to the range and practice some of his drills. I have been doing some at home but not to the extend that I need to. I have never wanted to practice more than play but I guess it helps to have a plan... Someone really wise helped me figure that out :act-up:

Yeah, Steve Jobs was very influential. He'll be missed.

I really liked his putt to a tee drill. I really can't wait to get out and practice with that one on a real green.

Did some more Golf home work last night and checked out the skill pathways regarding grip pressure. Man he does a great job explains how to find the best pressure.

I have been going through a horrible stretch with my irons. I joined Malaska site a couple weeks ago and after having one of the most frustrating rounds ever last Sat, I decided to just start from scratch sort of. I worked all week on just doing L to L drills at the house and at the range. My iron striking is back and I am heading out to play today. It's a casual round with a friend so my plan is to play the entire round with L to L swing. After I get comfortable with L to L swing, I'll start adding more '"push away" and length to add some power.

I hit a Jumbo bucket on Friday and left with no twinges in my lower back which is huge for me. I am starting to get the feel of letting gravity take over and releasing the club head to the ball with no tension in shoulders or wrists. I wish I would have started this early 2017 instead of spending 5 months working on the Venetos swing. Jim was great but that swing just was not working for me even though I kept telling myself it was.

Malaska is a genius but what I absolutely love about him the most is he clearly states that he didn't CREATE any of his concepts. There's no snakeoil salesman tactics that you see with other instructors. Just honest instruction. He's just been around long enough to compile all of the things he now teaches.

His teachings clicked with me immediately and has stuck ever since. I had plateued for a long time but now am playing consistently at the level I had always wanted to (single digits hc). Highly recommend his site.

The results are in and I could not be happier. After shooting mid 80's to low 90's for a couple months, I somehow just got lost with my swing and was struggling to break 100. I took Malaska L to L to the course and shot a 89 with some of the best ball striking ever. My main struggle was getting my alignment right but it was very encouraging.

I am going to continue to build on this and get my alignment straightened out. It's also nice that after walking 18 on a cool day, I have zero back pain/tightness.

The results are in and I could not be happier. After shooting mid 80's to low 90's for a couple months, I somehow just got lost with my swing and was struggling to break 100. I took Malaska L to L to the course and shot a 89 with some of the best ball striking ever. My main struggle was getting my alignment right but it was very encouraging.

I am going to continue to build on this and get my alignment straightened out. It's also nice that after walking 18 on a cool day, I have zero back pain/tightness.

Nice! Did you actually just swing L-to-L the whole round? Would you say you were aggressive through the shot?

Nice! Did you actually just swing L-to-L the whole round? Would you say you were aggressive through the shot?

Yes for the most part I did. I stepped on the driver a couple of times but my best and longest shots were effortless L to L swings. I was about a club shorter than if I was hitting a good full swing. I was much more consistent today though. I had a couple bad shots when old habits ceeeped in and I got fast in transition but most were nice easy swings.

I did steal Malaska’s own warm up swing and it did help me get the correct feel of the swing

Yes for the most part I did. I stepped on the driver a couple of times but my best and longest shots were effortless L to L swings. I was about a club shorter than if I was hitting a good full swing. I was much more consistent today though. I had a couple bad shots when old habits ceeeped in and I got fast in transition but most were nice easy swings.

I did steal Malaska’s own warm up swing and it did help me get the correct feel of the swing

Kind of amazing to think you shot better when you swung shorter - but I guess this just proves Malaska's point: you have to make good contact first. I think he even says on his L-to-L video that going faster/harder won't make you better (if you're not making good contact), it'll make you worse!

Got a chance to play Saturday and attempted to get an idea of where I am with this program. First things first I was DOING WAY TOO much thinking out on the course. Overall, my game was just sloppy and not sharp at all but I am ok with that as it relates to my work with this program. Smack in the middle of the winter and no practice time except for what I am doing at home. I realized that I need to just hit the range and actually practice his teachings. This is part of my realization after Saturday.

There were a number of shots that I hit really well and that is all the motivation that i need to keep working. This system is going to work for me but I need to trust it and put the work in.

I have been working all week on my putter grip and getting that ball to roll without the line wobbling. I am getting damn good at it. Also I started putting toward a small dime sized ball marker instead of the hole. That is really helping me visualize my aiming point.

Iv watched a few of his videos and its intriguing. I tried to hit a few balls with his method and found myself getting stuck I feel like. I did watch his "troubleshooting" video and tried a few things but im sure im not doing it right. I just feel like I don't have any room to swing and im getting stuck.

Back