Malaska Golf - Swing Coach

I watched these 2 recent Malaska videos (filmed by Brendan DeVore of Be Better Golf - who can be a little annoying to me; not sure why though). I really like the way Mike explains things! It just seems simpler compared to someone like, say, George Gankas).

This one makes using the lower body so much easier to understand (although I'm not sure they're correct on their use of physics terms).

And I LOVE when Malaska imitates Jack Nicklaus!

I watched these 2 recent Malaska videos (filmed by Brendan DeVore of Be Better Golf - who can be a little annoying to me; not sure why though). I really like the way Mike explains things! It just seems simpler compared to someone like, say, George Gankas).

This one makes using the lower body so much easier to understand (although I'm not sure they're correct on their use of physics terms).

And I LOVE when Malaska imitates Jack Nicklaus!

He annoys me because he frequently interrupts Mike when he's making a point. And I agree that he explains things simply, but effectively.

So I played 9 holes today using the swing thoughts from these two videos (as I understand them). I tried to keep my right arm in line with the shaft as I ran the club into the back of the ball (8:10-9:30 1st video) and then tried to feel as if the right leg pushed the right hip back & out of the way on the backswing, and then the left leg pushed my left hip back & out of the way on the downswing.

For me. these were simple to understand swing thoughts & they worked great on my driver swings: 6/7 went dead straight & fairly far (for a 20 mph wind day). Iron shots were also pretty good. I want some more time to work on this so I can build up my skill before winter hits.

With regards the 1st Malaska video:

If you look at many Tour pros , many have their right forearm steeper or lower than the shaft based on other unique moves they make with their bodies. This has been discussed in intricate detail on another golf forum (see below).

Further , in the real swings from 5-iron to Driver , the rear hand cannot be pushing the club through the ball because there is forward shaft bend . Physics says that the club's angular velocity is too quick for the hands to keep up and the hands are actually restricting the club through impact . However , it may be worthwhile trying to get that right shoulder downplane closer to the ball-target line so that you don't run out of right arm before impact and also retain some bent (dorsiflexed) right wrist through impact. That may help keep the clubface stable through ball impact and limit clubface deflection for a non-centre strike.

There are several uses of the right arm but too complicated to mention on this thread (and would require understanding of certain TGM and anatomical terminology)

-----------------------
Forum excerpt

RightForearmPositionTwo.jpg

mage 1 = Alvaro Quiros, image 2 = J.B. Holmes, image 3 = Phil Mickelson, image 4 = Hunter Mahan, and image 5 = Keegan Bradley.

Note that Alvaro Quiros and J. B. Holmes have their right forearm on the same plane as their clubshaft at impact. Note that Phil Mickelson's rear forearm is on a steeper plane than his clubshaft's plane at impact. Note that Hunter Mahan and Keegan Bradley have their right forearm on a flatter plane than their clubshaft's plane at impact. Note their different body/arm postural alignments at impact.
----------------------

For that 2nd Malaska video , I think he might need to provide more evidence to prove that the left hip being pushed out of the way can increase the angular velocity of the club .Is he saying that by rotating his pelvis , he is somehow rotating his spine , which in turn is rotating his shoulder sockets , which are in turn pulling his left arm around ?

You can swing your left arm up and down without the need to rotate your hips . In fact I can swing my left arm up and down quite quickly and across my body while sitting in my chair and not move my lower body at all.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I haven't had a chance to practice much in the midst of the pandemic, but range should be opening up this week.

I noticed Danny Maude saying pretty much the same thing;

Watching both of these together was a "Eureka!" moment for me.

And like Mike Malaska & Eric Cogorno said, my biggest fault is moving my hips forward into the ball & not staying centered during the downswing.

love this video. Not a fan of the host. Mr interuptus, as well on his review of the planemate it was clear he never followed the protocols and gave it a negative review.
That being said Mike has some great info on putting and lining up correctly as everyone's eyes are different.

I went back to some Malaska videos to pull some ideas to start working on this year.

This is one of my favorite concepts that Mike teaches: hand movement (to avoid flipping & forearm rotation):

At the 7:45 mark he says "...I find a grip that's neutral for them, so when the club pulls on your arm it squares the face"

This video shows better what he means by that.

I'm going to try working on this over the winter if I can.

I don't see how a golfer can avoid forearm rotation (ie. especially with the lead forearm) unless he has a very strong lead hand grip. I looked at the pupil golfer swing in slow motion and he still rotated his forearm in the backswing and downswing to square the clubface .

1643823467374.png

In the Eric Cogorno video MM stressed that the palm should face downwards as per image 1 and not like image 2 but look at his real swing below where his palm is not facing the ground .

Think about what would happen to the golf club at image 1 position below if you tried to then rotate your trail forearm to get that palm facing more towards the ground (ie. like image 1 above) by the time you've reached club horizontal .

1643823603658.png

Just wanted to revive this as MM has totally given my game new life. The L to L has been simply transformational for this handle dragger, and the consistency is light years better than it was.

Anyone else working on mikes stuff?

Just wanted to revive this as MM has totally given my game new life. The L to L has been simply transformational for this handle dragger, and the consistency is light years better than it was.

Anyone else working on mikes stuff?
I've watched a few of his vids but I wouldn't say I'm incorperating much of it.

I used it as a supplement and it may help you. If I did not have an instructor, I would use some of Mike's teachings.

And it's tough to find a good instructor.

That Malaska Full swing hip video is golden. A real ohhhh I get it moment.

That Malaska Full swing hip video is golden. A real ohhhh I get it moment.
I just reviewed that video (again - I'm a slow learner:p)
I've been playing on a bad knee & a bad groin muscle, and Malaska's explanations of how the hips turn due to straight line forces have helped me (I believe) not to twist & do more damage when I'm swinging.

This also really helped me eliminate swaying away from the target on the backswing (one of my first faults identified by my coach years ago). I don't take regular lessons, but he watch me hit balls a few weeks ago & commented that there is absolutely no sway on the backswing, and this has helped make my swing more consistent

Back