Gregman55

Reaction score
Handicap
Just wondering here, I’m a senior golfer at 64 young but still have plenty flexibility even though I’ve had back surgery 20 years ago for a ruptured disc. I’ve been watching Mike Malaska’s videos, has anyone here bought into his teachings and what results did you have. I tried it out at the range yesterday when my swing was just all of sorts, then I remembered his method and started practicing it and got good results. Thanks in advance.

A friend, @robrandalgz , pointed me I. The direction of Malaska. I have started to work on the L to L drill and focusing on moving an imaginary box right to left.
This has really helped my swing. It also helps reduce tension that I was holding in my back and shoulders trying to muscle the ball.
I’ve seen better peak height and straight flight.

Just wondering here, I’m a senior golfer at 64 young but still have plenty flexibility even though I’ve had back surgery 20 years ago for a ruptured disc. I’ve been watching Mike Malaska’s videos, has anyone here bought into his teachings and what results did you have. I tried it out at the range yesterday when my swing was just all of sorts, then I remembered his method and started practicing it and got good results. Thanks in advance.
I love Mike Malaska's stuff. He's a lot more task focused than position focused and that approach makes so much more sense to me. Don't tell me what position you want me in, give me a task that will naturally put me in that position and I'll have 10 times more success. Guaranteed. Another guy to check out is Shawn Clement. A combination of those two instructors has kept me completely out of the 100s and flirting with 80s more often than flirting with 100 (especially when the wind isn't kicking my arse).

I like watching Malaska's stuff. His thoughts on the swing mirror a lot of my own that i have developed over to many years of trial and error.

I like a number of his videos and am subscribed to his channel. I've taken lessons on and off, but a number of his methods are really practical. I like instructors that work with your natural movement and rhythm as opposed to golf pros that simply try to change everything. Malaska's the type that just wants players to use your natural athletic ability that we've built up over our entire lives. I think Shawn Clement and Clay Ballard are also quite decent. Nothing is better than a coach that has the appropriate tech to help you analyze your swing and watch yourself on video along with the data to evaluate you. However, working on various pointers from some videos can, in my estimation, be valuable.

I used a few of his methods a few years ago and they seemed to help a lot. I probably should dive back in to his teachings a bit.

I was also pointed to Malaska L to L. Yes it’s helped. I’m not sure I’m employing it in my swing per say. However I practice the drills and my swing is more relaxed. Specially my driver swing. Results have been good so far , I’ll continue the drills.

I’m a fan of his teachings, and heard about him from @robrandalgz and @mtbloco (LtoL)
I like the approach he takes and how he teaches - breaking it down into a simpler form. I have only watched a handful of his videos, but I’ve been picking up what he’s saying. He has some videos with ‘be better golf’ too.

Last edited:
I've been a member of his site for almost 2 years. I honestly may have quit golf if it wasn't for his teachings.

He is maybe my favorite instructor and I agree with his swing theories for older golfers. His putting eye alignment guide is the best putting setup tip ever for me. It has changed my putting.

Mike was on our podcast last year and offered a lot of good advice for your golf swing woes. Listen here:

He has some good common sense instruction and he tries to use terms that folks will understand. I find it interesting that he is not a strong advocate of body rotation and implies the arms more. Not that he does not acknowledge the body rotation, just that he does not push it as much as other instructors do.

He has some good common sense instruction and he tries to use terms that folks will understand. I find it interesting that he is not a strong advocate of body rotation and implies the arms more. Not that he does not acknowledge the body rotation, just that he does not push it as much as other instructors do.

wgat I’ve gleaned from him is if your arms are moving correctly then your body and hips will rotate properly. Feeling how this corrects my hip turn and got rid of my pull hook Re enforced that I need to keep working to engrain this change.

Every instructor strikes different students in a different manner.

I have a personal instructor, but I've used Malaska in a "How to get more speed, video." He has good ideas on getting rid of tension and getting the lead leg/hip out of the way.

Thanks for all the input guys, I watched some more of his vide today and his method seem to make a lot of sense to me, instead of all the positional golf teaching. I have watched Shawn Clement for years and used some of his stuff. I’m thinking I like the Malaska teachings. Going to practice again tomorrow, coronavirus has put me out of work this week and maybe next week, as we have closed our race shop down (Hendrick Motorsports) so I have time to practice here. Plan on playing this Friday.

wgat I’ve gleaned from him is if your arms are moving correctly then your body and hips will rotate properly. Feeling how this corrects my hip turn and got rid of my pull hook Re enforced that I need to keep working to engrain this change.
Yep. The way he teaches the swing, hip and shoulder rotation end up being the effect, not the cause. I like the fact that he uses gravity and momentum to power the swing instead of the other way around. Clement is the same way. Why fight the natural way that our bodies work? A lot of the modern swing revolves around core movement and strength. I get it, somewhat, but I don't care how much core strength you have, it will NEVER be strong enough to generate speed faster than your hands alone will. Ever. Sure you can use the two in combination but there's a reason that these guys that are getting yoked in the gym are having injury issues. Not for me, thanks. I'll never be Tiger Woods. Trying to teach me to swing like him is a joke. Too any instructors are missing the boat in that aspect, IMHO.

Malaska is good but I got my weight off the back foot by watching George Gankas with Chris Como - go to that easy viewing on youtube.

Getting weight on front foot is my bugaboo - I also got my feet more active with keeping the weight of my trail foot on the inside of the foot and starting my weight shift before the club arrived at the top.

Little things....

Yep. The way he teaches the swing, hip and shoulder rotation end up being the effect, not the cause. I like the fact that he uses gravity and momentum to power the swing instead of the other way around. Clement is the same way. Why fight the natural way that our bodies work? A lot of the modern swing revolves around core movement and strength. I get it, somewhat, but I don't care how much core strength you have, it will NEVER be strong enough to generate speed faster than your hands alone will. Ever. Sure you can use the two in combination but there's a reason that these guys that are getting yoked in the gym are having injury issues. Not for me, thanks. I'll never be Tiger Woods. Trying to teach me to swing like him is a joke. Too any instructors are missing the boat in that aspect, IMHO.

In my small sample size, I'm getting higher ball flight and further distance with less effort.

I like Malaska’s method to the golf swing. While big muscles play a role in the swing, your arms and hands also have a role to play. It’s funny watching Rory or Xander’s swings and seeing that “move” Mike always talks about.

I would just be weary of getting that release going too quickly and causing some pulls or hooks.

Following Mike's (and to some extent Shawn Clement's) teachings, I got rid of my lower back issues and gained a lot of consistency. Effortless speed was a by-product. Danny Maude promotes same ideas, with a bit more refined drills and instructions.

I also like Danny Maude, always has good solid advice for the average golfer, when a teacher says he is going to show me how the pro’s do it at that point I’m pretty much done, I’m 64 not 24. I know I that boat has already sailed 😂 just try to build a decent swing.

Back