Mallet for a current blade user

The Dave

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Interested to hear thoughts on a mallet to try. I'm not in any need of a putter and my putting has been decent with a O-Works 1W. I've always used a blade and like the appearance. I've tried some at stores and they just feel so heavy that I fear longer lag putts would be a trainwreck.

Is that the case with mallets usually?

I have an Ardmore 3 patina coming next week.
Also looking at a Bettinardi Innovai 6.0 crescent neck.
I‘ve always been a blade/Anser guy, but recent SAM fitting said try a shorter mallet w/ toe hang.

You might try a double wide blade, not as heavy as most mallets. Currently I use a Stroke Lab Double Wide coming from full mallets and I'm happy.

Something counterbalanced would likely negate any weight difference. The stroke lab putters don't feel heavy at all.

if your fear is headweight, there are some mallets that aren't solid. my odyssey marxman comes to mind. i think the odyssey exo series would fit that bill too.

Justin Thomas did a video for titleist explaining why he switched from a blade to the mallet style. His issue was closing the face. He said he tended to leave it open on a blade, and as much as he loves the blade, the mallet helps him square it at impact.

A 7 shape mallet would be good.

Thanks for the replies. I had a EXO 7 when I had to rent clubs in Hawaii so I've tried that on a course. Didn't pay attention too much to my putting there, so might have to revisit that again.

Have looked into a DW blade, but not sure it's too different from the 1W I currently play.

Coming from blades, I'm playing with a Mizuno M-Craft V and Odyssey White Hot OG Rossie S. I like them both quite a bit.

I like the new White Hot OG's and was thinking the Rossie or #5

Check out the Cleveland Frontline series or their SOFT series of putters. Both series of putters fly under the radar, except here on THP.
I'm a milled blade guy but wanted to see what all of the mallet fuss was about. I love my Frontline ISO.

I like the new White Hot OG's and was thinking the Rossie or #5

The new Rossie shape is really good. So's the OG insert. Win-Win. Especially with the S neck (y)

if your fear is headweight, there are some mallets that aren't solid. my odyssey marxman comes to mind. i think the odyssey exo series would fit that bill too.

Yep, also could do something like the bat wing putters, the MLA open mallet or the Spyder.

Interested to hear thoughts on a mallet to try. I'm not in any need of a putter and my putting has been decent with a O-Works 1W. I've always used a blade and like the appearance. I've tried some at stores and they just feel so heavy that I fear longer lag putts would be a trainwreck.

Most mallets are actually the same weight range as new blades, in that modern 350-365 range.

Im a long time blade guy but this year committed to a mallet....ish. Using a Mizuno M Craft V which is a mid mallet that melds the two very well.

Check out the Cleveland Frontline series or their SOFT series of putters. Both series of putters fly under the radar, except here on THP.
I'm a milled blade guy but wanted to see what all of the mallet fuss was about. I love my Frontline ISO.
Which grip did you g with? The large or standard size?

Thanks for the replies. I had a EXO 7 when I had to rent clubs in Hawaii so I've tried that on a course. Didn't pay attention too much to my putting there, so might have to revisit that again.

Have looked into a DW blade, but not sure it's too different from the 1W I currently play.

I've got a collection of wide blade options and you're right, there isn't a huge difference. I find that a lot of 'double wide' models are a little more compact heel to toe to account for some more width front to back, but that's about it.

Like Jman said, I wouldn't be too concerned about weight, as most are pretty close unless advertised as heavier. The Odyssey Ten line has got a bunch of attention this year and could be an interesting option. If you're not willing to dive in that deep, there's a bunch of mid mallets that may fit the bill for you. The Toulon Atlanta and Mizuno M Craft V come to mind offhand. Good luck!

Which grip did you g with? The large or standard size?
I purchased it off "the Bay" and currently there's a Winn Pro 1.18 on it. Sorry, I guess that's probably not a helpful response.

Mallet that feels more like a blade and doesn't feel heavy... Spider FCG.

Kind of an all blade guy, but II wanted to put a mallet in play and tried a couple mid mallets with a little success but honestly felt like I needed more of a visual departure to really commit. Spider FCG (forward center of gravity) fit that. There was a Frontline that felt better honestly, but I liked the look of the FCG more, so I went that route and added weight, because it felt light to me. That's a common reaction to it.

It's been great. I put very well with it, and it didn't take much adjusting to.

Last edited:
Currently playing an Odyssey #1. I’m waiting delivery on a mid-mallet Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

It is basically a Scotty Newport, with a deeper sole (front to back)... i tried a full mallet... gamed a Ping Craz-E a couple of years back and the full mallet, while nice, was a little bit distracting for me. I think the mid-mallet is going to be a great fit.

Last edited:
I purchased it off "the Bay" and currently there's a Winn Pro 1.18 on it. Sorry, I guess that's probably not a helpful response.
Thanks, but that's obviously not the stock Lamkin SinkFit.
Seem's most are jettisoning the SinkFIt grips pretty quickly when they come stock.

I think first you should narrow it down to the type of face you like to use, milled or insert. From there, try to find one that fits the toe hang/face balance that fits your putting stroke.

For ideas on models, as someone who likes putting with a wider flange blade, I would take a look at these

Odyssey RLine, VLine, #7, 330M,
Toulon Las Vegas, Atlanta, Portland
Scotty Phantom Line or Fastack
Cleveland Frontline Elevado, Cero, ISO, 10.5,

Good Luck!

If you’re looking for a mallet type putter with a blade feel I would try the Odyssey Double Wide in TT.

Also, I don’t know if they sell it new, but the seven mini could be another mallet with blade like feel.

Thanks, but that's obviously not the stock Lamkin SinkFit.
Seem's most are jettisoning the SinkFIt grips pretty quickly when they come stock.
The guys in the Premier thread seem to like the SinkFit though, so I'm not sure why people swap them out.

The Winn Pro grip is okay but I prefer a pistol style so I will swap it out at some point.

The guys in the Premier thread seem to like the SinkFit though, so I'm not sure why people swap them out.

The Winn Pro grip is okay but I prefer a pistol style so I will swap it out at some point.
I think the large one is too heavy and lacks feel.
The smaller one is too light for heavier heads.
It's just me, but I really am sensitive to grip weight/balance.

Last edited:
Back