Maltaby TU 6 iron, Graphite shaft, Burner equivalent ? Review inside

Benchmade

Reaction score
Handicap
Building and testing a Maltby TU 6 iron.

This is a couple of test wrapped into one. The head, the shaft and the combination of the two and how it stacks up to the name brands out there. I am a club/fitter in the NYC area. Surpassingly most of my customers are very wealthy and yet they game old worn clubs. None of them want to buy new name brand clubs. They want good quality at a more than great price. Just a simple re grip is almost like pulling teeth. They don't mind paying for the service. They just do not like the $5 and change for the grips lol.

My test club comes from someone who wants an SGI set but does not want the SGI look. They want the same specs as Taylormade burner irons with graphite shafts. A tall order to try and fill. I really like the burner irons. I jumped at the challenge and steamed forward.

The specs for this test 6 iron is as follows:

2 degrees upright
1/4” longer than standard
Grip 1/32 over standard
Swingweight D3.5

The build sheet:

Maltaby TU #6 head:
Flow weighted back of cavity enhanced with tungsten weights to optimize weight distribution for each club in the set
Tungsten weight positioned toward the toe for stability and forgiveness in longer irons
Deep undercut cavity allows more weight to be positioned rearward and to the perimeter for improved stability and forgiveness
Progressive offset with more in the long irons and less in the short irons
Blended leading and trailing edges will not snag on takeaway and through the impact zone
Sole width and sole angle (bounce) designed to be extremely turf forgiving
U-Grooves adhere to new USGA guidelines on grooves
Manufactured from 431 heat treated Stainless Steel for forged like feel and adjustability

Aurther Xtreme Iron shaft :
The Arthur Xtreme Engineering Xcaliber graphite iron shaft features Zone Stiffness Technology (ZST) which helps golf shots get airborne without excessive spin.

Features:
.370" parallel tip diameter
Lowest hybrid shaft balance point in the industry
Final design approved after over 100 hours of testing with golfers of all skill levels

Lamkin R.E.L grip

All said the iron came out great. Going to the range tomorrow and compare it to the burner. I know the burner has jacked up loft “so does the customer”. What were looking for is the same feel. I will report back with my findings.

IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0152.jpg
IMG_0155.jpg
IMG_0157.jpg

I'd be interested in how this club does. Let us know.

EXCALIBER! Its a good looking club, thats for sure, everything except for the Maltaby on the bottom really. Looking forward to seeing how you think it stacks up to the burner.

Well if the thunder and rain stop i'll get to hit it. The looks may not appeal to some. I'm more interested in how it feels. As far as looks go. It looks more like a CB than a GI or SGI. Its not shovely at all. I know the lofts are more true to standard so the distance may not be there.

Just an update,

I have been to the range as well as bagged it at the course. The short of it is the club is money. The fit and feel is as good as anything out there. Out of the Burner irons i compared it to. It's more workable than the Burner pluses and just as forgiving. On par with the 2.0 but play true lofts. Nothing jacked up here. The TUs are not as chunky looking nor chunky feeling. Players CB look but in a SGI package.

The AXE graphite iron shaft is amazing ! Plays closer to iron shaft as far as feel. If this is a sign of things to come. We may see a transition to graphite in our irons.

This is a super alternative for golfers who want high end without the high end price.

I really want to put a set of component clubs together just for the heck of it. Glad this one seems to be working out for you.

My fitter and I came up with an iron set consisting of Maltby KE-4 iron heads and TT Lite XL shafts. This review doesn't surprise me, I love the Maltby set and couldn't be happier. I ended up giving my X-22's to my brother.

So, did you end up building a full set for the customer? What was their impression of the test club?

I drool over the grips and shafts in my Golfworks catalog, but never pay any attention to the Maltby components. Glad to hear that they're the real deal!

Very cool thread!

Back