Maltby Playability Factor Taylormade MC v Cobra Fly-z+ forged

khaos288

Reaction score
Handicap
I had never heard of the MPF until a few weeks ago. I always thought my irons were particularly tough to hit, but I loved the way they looked so I just dealt with it.

Well my 2014 Taylormade Tour Preferred MCs scored incredibly low on the chart(218 players classic, the most difficult to hit), so I thought I'd test something new for fun.

I picked up some 2015 Cobra Fly-z+ Forged irons (683 almost Super game improvement level) at my local shop for cheap, and the difference is incredible. My deep hook with my long irons is still hitting fairway instead of spinning off into the woods. I played my local 9 hole course where I normally shoot +5 to +10, and I shot +2 hitting nearly every green.

I was curious whether the rankings were actually going to be accurate, but I must say they nailed it here.

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPFRatingsChart.pdf

I had never heard of the MPF until a few weeks ago. I always thought my irons were particularly tough to hit, but I loved the way they looked so I just dealt with it.

Well my 2014 Taylormade Tour Preferred MCs scored incredibly low on the chart(218 players classic, the most difficult to hit), so I thought I'd test something new for fun.

I picked up some 2015 Cobra Fly-z+ Forged irons (683 almost Super game improvement level) at my local shop for cheap, and the difference is incredible. My deep hook with my long irons is still hitting fairway instead of spinning off into the woods. I played my local 9 hole course where I normally shoot +5 to +10, and I shot +2 hitting nearly every green.

I was curious whether the rankings were actually going to be accurate, but I must say they nailed it here.

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPFRatingsChart.pdf
It's just one of many resources to utilize when considering club purchases. Reviews here from staff & forum members or from other trusted online sources are just as valuable.

It's just one of many resources to utilize when considering club purchases. Reviews here from staff & forum members or from other trusted online sources are just as valuable.

Totally agree. I always google the THP review of clubs nowadays. I just normally buy second hand, so my options are pretty limited in my budget.

There's a few threads on the MPF on here if you do a search. A lot of mixed feelings on it too. I don't know enough about it, that and the fact all of his clubs are rated so high kind of disqualifies it for me.

There's a few threads on the MPF on here if you do a search. A lot of mixed feelings on it too. I don't know enough about it, that and the fact all of his clubs are rated so high kind of disqualifies it for me.
I think it's pretty clear that he designs against those specific criteria, so it's not shocking that they always rate so high. Some people swear by it, and it works for them ... kudos!

fly-z+ forged are almost sgi in forgiveness? that tells me enough to know the system is flawed. those were great irons, but i wouldn't call them overly forgiving or anywhere near sgi level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fly-z+ forged are almost sgi in forgiveness? that tells me enough to know the system is flawed. those were great irons, but i wouldn't call them overly forgiving or anywhere near sgi level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? Maybe the TP-MCs were just particularly punishing, but I've got about 5 rounds under my belt with the Cobras, and they feel SO much better.

Back