Maltby STi2 With Graphite Shafts

JonMA1

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
High
I'm entertaining the thought of buying a set of Maltby STi2's, GW through 6i and am considering ordering them with Maltby's Pro Series graphite shafts. I'm not crazy about the looks of these, but heads look very SGI with a wide sole.

As far as graphite shafts, I've never hit an iron with one. I don't even know how to ask questions about the differences without sounding like a dumb***, but here goes...

In what way does a graphite shaft affect ones swing and ball flight? Does it make an iron feel more like a hybrid? Does tempo need to be adjusted?

I don't have a high swing speed (driver is at or just under 90 mph, a 7i totals 140 yards with average contact). I've always used regular flex steel shafts but am unsure if going with a stiff option is better with a lighter graphite shaft??? I'm guessing no because at 59, I don't see my SS increasing ever. But I thought it might help with control.

I know it's impossible for anyone to know what shaft is the right fit for someone else, but any general information would help. GolfWorks will setup the swing weight to whatever I request. The irons I had built this winter were at D2 with no idea of whether that's a good fit or not.

Going to a professional fitter is not an option. I realize this is going to be a shot in the dark and no, I don't think a new set of clubs will help my swing. It's just something I'd like to do. I gave all my gaming clubs away this past week and am considering re-building the bag.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Graphite shafts don’t impact ball flight or swing any different than steel would.

I can’t comment on these graphite shafts, as I have no idea who is making them, as Maltby does not manufacture his own shafts.

What is the biggest reason players might switch from steel to graphite?

I received new irons with the graphite shafts yesterday and took the 6i out to the field to try it out. With writing skills at the same level as my golf game, I'll leave the revues those better at both. Also, my index is trending towards the high 20's and I don't know jack about golf clubs, so take this information with a grain of salt. I just wanted to share what I've experienced with anyone else considering the switch from graphite to steel.

Feel
The Maltby R shaft did not feel "noodley" (to steal a term describing the flex of fishing rods). In fact, it felt somewhat stiffer than some of the lighter steel shafts I've been experimenting this year. (Just a feel, though.)

While the weight of the shaft is lighter at 75 grams, I couldn't really tell that much of a difference in weight either.

There was a difference in feeling the shaft angle on the BS and DS, as well as the low point of the swing. I might be talking out of my ass on this, but something felt better, as in more control. Time will certainly tell.

Launch
The first several shots with the new 6i were clean, good contact, slightly heel side center of face. Hitting my line seemed easier. My flight trajectory is normally high - which I've always attributed to a lack of shaft lean. But these shots were what I'd consider to be mid-launch angle. The carry was good - probably towards the better end of the spectrum. With the slightly lower trajectory, I assume rollout will be increased on the course. There was a slight wind at my back for these first shots.

I then went out to the field to collect the balls and hit them back. This time I was facing the wind. The flight was slightly higher, not sure if that was because of the wind or because I was starting to get used to the clubs, but it was still a bit lower than normal. I did struggle with pushes on a couple shots but settled into a groove and starting making better contact and with better control of the starting line. Again, I was very happy with the resulting distance, even against the wind.

Conclusion
Even though this purchase was an experiment, I didn't adequately do my homework. I have this same shaft on a 3h and hit that club much lower than most of my other clubs. I assumed it was because of the stronger 19° loft. But because the combination thus far has produced better dispersion and at least as much distance than the 5w it replaced, I wanted to see if these same shafts might work well on irons.

After looking at the "Ask a Question" section on the GolfWorks site this morning, these regular flex shafts are stiffer than many of the other brands in R flex. The launch is described as mid to high. This seems to support what I've experienced so far. I don't yet know if the shafts will help or hurt my game. As I stated earlier, I'm happy with the way the 3h has performed - even with the lower flight.

With higher ball flight, I've always liked the ability to stick a green on the rare occasions when I actually hit one - even with longer clubs. And as bad as my game is, having the confidence to clear the top of a tree line, or to drop a shot on the opposite side of a green side bunker with little roll-out seemed like an advantage. So this has me wondering.

On the other hand, maybe having a slightly stiffer shaft will help better control dispersion.

Did you stay with the STi2 irons? How have they played for you?

Did you stay with the STi2 irons? How have they played for you?

Welcome to the forum @deepred .

I did stay with them and really like them. My iron game is stronger this year than it was last year with the Mizunos. I'm getting more distance with the new clubs and am now getting higher ball flight than I reported above. I'm not sure if that's due more to the heads, the shafts, or both.

For full disclosure, the accuracy is not as tight as it's been in years past with the Mizunos. But that may well be because I no longer work on my game as I did at that time.

Good to hear, I'm trying to decide between the KE4 Tour+ and the STi2. I've had enough of proline blades, at 57 with limited time to play I just can't hit them consistently .

My mistake @deepred, I have the KE4s not the STi2s. I was initially considering the STi’s but changed my mind and never updated my posts. (I’m an idiot.)

Keep in mind, I’m a high capper, but the club heads seem very forgiving in spite of a narrower sole.

Ok, I wondered about that, lol
With the 20% off sale for custom clubs, they are practically giving the FST 115 shafts for free. The DBM with that shaft is only $34 with a royal grip. The Tour+ is $25.56! I think in X flex it will suit me fine, if not i have a set of DG105 pulls i can extend and put in.

Last edited:
For me, it was hard to justify ordering the heads and shafts separately because of the deals. I also chose to let Golfworks build mine because of the graphite shafts. I did re-shaft some irons last winter but used steel shafts for that set.
I’m glad I went with the the graphite. I think that’s why I’m getting more distance. I just have remember to slow my swing down and trust that the distance will be fine.

Playing golf well is about rhythm above everything else. I try to just think about something that puts a smile on my face and just swing. I think I will order the Tour+ this weekend

Playing golf well is about rhythm above everything else. I try to just think about something that puts a smile on my face and just swing.
I'm starting to see that. I think everything has to at least be close to in sync for good contact, swing path and club face control. It's why the game is so hard... all it takes one little thing to be off and it can mess up the entire swing.

I think I will order the Tour+ this weekend
I hope you like them. Are you going with the FST 115s?

I'm starting to see that. I think everything has to at least be close to in sync for good contact, swing path and club face control. It's why the game is so hard... all it takes one little thing to be off and it can mess up the entire swing.

I hope you like them. Are you going with the FST 115s?
That I haven’t decided, I asked if they would let me order the 6-PW with the LT shaft and I got the order all the separate parts and we will give you free shipping.

Last edited:
The more I look at the FST, it’s simply not stiff enough even in X for my clubhead Speed. I will order the heads and install the DG105 set I think,

Well I ordered the KE4 Tour+ with the FST, $135 for five irons was too cheap to pass up, lol
If they don’t work I can swap shafts later.

Well I ordered the KE4 Tour+ with the FST, $135 for five irons was too cheap to pass up, lol
If they don’t work I can swap shafts later.

No kidding - $135 for decent clubs is hard to pass up. Let us know how you like them.

Are you going to build them yourself? Which 5 irons did you get? I have the GW, 9i - 6i (no PW). I think I did the right thing stopping at the 6i as I tend to hit poorer shots with that club than I do the mid irons.

6-PW, I already have a Maltby 50* and another 52 I’ll match with the clubs once I see how they play. I’m set to play the 22nd and 26th on difficult courses so we shall see right from the start, lol

@JonMA1

How are you liking the Maltby graphite shaft? Do find the regular flex seems just about right or would you like more/less stiffness? I'm thinking about a stronger lofted / higher VCOG iron set with a little more help in the longer irons and am considering the STi2 in 6i-GW.

I'm coming off taper tip Dynamic Golds which I have grown to like, but it is possible at my speed they are heavier than I really need. My current shafts are 127g per spec sheet so if I go graphite I'm concerned about going too light. I think 75g for the regular flex is just too light. I'd go with the 85g stiff flex and then either go straight in or have them tip trimmed less depending what stiffness I needed.

If I recalled correctly we're a similar ballpark for speed and likely shaft loading.

Regards
Dave

I have the MPF Pro regular in a FDI 2 hybrid. I don't hit the club particularly well, but the shaft does not feel over the line at all. I think I could play the stiff flex possibly as is or with slightly less tip trimming and be fine.

Buying a trial club is fairly expensive compared to the pak. Buy a trial club first, but the pak, or stay with TE/DG... decisions, decisions...

Dave

Last edited:
@JonMA1

How are you liking the Maltby graphite shaft? Do find the regular flex seems just about right or would you like more/less stiffness? I'm thinking about a stronger lofted / higher VCOG iron set with a little more help in the longer irons and am considering the STi2 in 6i-GW.

I'm coming off taper tip Dynamic Golds which I have grown to like, but it is possible at my speed they are heavier than I really need. My current shafts are 127g per spec sheet so if I go graphite I'm concerned about going too light. I think 75g for the regular flex is just too light. I'd go with the 85g stiff flex and then either go straight in or have them tip trimmed less depending what stiffness I needed.

If I recalled correctly we're a similar ballpark for speed and likely shaft loading.

Regards
Dave

When I started this topic, I was considering the STi2 but decided instead on the KE4 Tour + at your recommendation. Regardless, I think the shafts and club heads are a good fit for my swing. The difficulties I'm going through with my swing are worse when practicing with another set of steel shafted irons.

My miss-hits recently have been low on the face and I often wonder if the wider sole of the STi2's might help with that, but I suspect it would only help a little. The KE4's have produced some very nice shots with a very easy swing and I'm not ready to look towards a change at this point.

I ordered the MPF shafts in the 75g regular flex and a bit longer than standard for the irons. I grip down an inch or so. I might be full of ****, but a slower swing tempo seems to work best for me with that shaft on both the hybrid and the irons. If you prefer a stiffer flex, you likely have a faster tempo than I do. I think you're also a bit longer with your driver than I am, but earlier in the season I was getting very good distance (for me) with this combo.

I hope this helps, Dave. Let us know what you decide and how you like them.

When I started this topic, I was considering the STi2 but decided instead on the KE4 Tour + at your recommendation. Regardless, I think the shafts and club heads are a good fit for my swing. The difficulties I'm going through with my swing are worse when practicing with another set of steel shafted irons.

My miss-hits recently have been low on the face and I often wonder if the wider sole of the STi2's might help with that, but I suspect it would only help a little. The KE4's have produced some very nice shots with a very easy swing and I'm not ready to look towards a change at this point.

I ordered the MPF shafts in the 75g regular flex and a bit longer than standard for the irons. I grip down an inch or so. I might be full of ****, but a slower swing tempo seems to work best for me with that shaft on both the hybrid and the irons. If you prefer a stiffer flex, you likely have a faster tempo than I do. I think you're also a bit longer with your driver than I am, but earlier in the season I was getting very good distance (for me) with this combo.

I hope this helps, Dave. Let us know what you decide and how you like them.

Thanks! The KE4+ and STi2 both seem like good choices and I think I could use either. I liked the McGolf video (below) at the STi2 and reviews have been really good. I know @tehuti and you have both used the KE4+ to good effect.

The TE forged I'm using now has a sole width of 0.781" and blade length of 3.103". STi2 has 0.850"/3.154" and KE4+ 0.800"/3.295". Basically STi2 is a little bigger in both dimensions and the KE4+ has almost the same sole width and a longer blade. All (3) clubs have low offset which is a big plus for me, I don't like a large amount of offset. Both the STi2 and KE4+ have stronger lofts, higher VCOG, and should be more forgiving in the ~28*/~32* irons than the TE forged.

The thing that is in the favor the STi2 is that it comes with the MPF graphite in a 6 club pak for an attractive price. For whatever reason all of the other clubs come in 8 club paks and I really don't see myself using the 4i/5i. So if I went something else I'd use the custom shop.

Basically, I've gravitated to wanting everything my G15s are not. Super wide sole, high offset, huge blade length, and weak shafts. I'll never get rid of them, but it is hard to picture putting them back in the bag. I want a moderate sole / offset / blade length and shaft that is firm enough but not excessively heavy.

I'm hitting the TE forged fairly well, but have a high/possibly too high ball flight and 5i (28*) and 6i (32*) while not used a lot haven't had great results. Part of me says chase better and the other part says "you're doing pretty well don't screw with it".

Dave

My STi2 test club arrived today. I just approved the build on Thursday so to get it here on Sunday is amazing, particularly given that so many OEMs have several week lead times right now.

I am going to set up the Mevo in a bit and hit some balls, but first I wanted to share some photos. The club head looks really nice.

Back

2020_09_06_0566_LR_1000.jpg

Face

2020_09_06_0567_LR_1000.jpg

Sole

2020_09_06_0577_LR_1000.jpg

Insert and cavity

2020_09_06_0579_LR_1000.jpg

Address

2020_09_06_0580_LR_1000.jpg

Dave

Alright, test results time. Data is collected using a Flightscope Mevo (gen I) hitting into a Haack net in my backyard. The golf ball used is a Chrome Soft X from ~ 2018.

The Gamer: Maltby TE forged 5 iron built to standard length (38") and ordered bent 1* weak to 28*. The shaft is Dynamic Gold taper tip R300 soft stepped one time.
The Contender: Maltby STi2 6 iron build to standard length (also 38") and ordered bent 0.5* strong to 28*. The shaft is Maltby MPF graphite in stiff.

Looks/Feel/Sound: The STi2 is able to check the boxes for each of these. Despite not being forged I did not observe the feel being hard. The looks behind the ball are good.

5I

ShotViewBall Speed (mph)Club Speed (mph)SmashCarry (yds)Launch Angle V (°)Spin (rpm)HeightTime (s)
1105.679.91.32148.521.7487486′1″5.7
2102.678.81.314522.7420283′2″5.6
3108.379.51.36147.720.1665487′6″5.8
4105.381.11.3151.320.8381578′3″5.5
598.572.71.35135.225.3488687′6″5.6
6102.375.71.35140.223.2566388′5.7
7104.6--145.421523882′3″5.6
8105.3--14721.4513884′9″5.7
9106--152.320.4381577′7″5.5
10103.1--141.922.6552186′7″5.7
11103.378.91.31144.621.8473081′9″5.6
Avg104.178.11.33145.421.9495883′11″5.6
Dev2.42.70.024.71.48013′6″0.1

6I
ShotViewBall Speed (mph)Club Speed (mph)SmashCarry (yds)Launch Angle V (°)Spin (rpm)HeightTime (s)
1104.6--143.821.4579884′12″5.7
2103.2--140.124.7607396′3″5.9
3103.7711.46142.523.5566091′11″5.8
4105.6--147.422.8517791′10″5.8
599.2--138.923.6407380′5.4
6102.6--140.523.5568589′7″5.7
7103.1--145.421.5434479′1″5.5
898.5--137.422.1397172′9″5.2
9102.4--143.422455680′7″5.5
10101.3--13624.3657891′3″5.7
11103.2--141.724.7554295′8″5.9
12102.367.51.52145.121378373′8″5.3
13104.1--139.723.3702693′2″5.8
Avg102.669.31.49141.722.9525186′3″5.6
Dev1.91.80.033.21.29937′10″0.2

Background:

• Why compare 5 iron vs 6 iron? Because the lofts are supposed to be identical and the club lengths are the same.
  • The Mevo did not like capturing swing speed on the STi2 and did not capture a single one accurately. I don't have any reason to doubt the ball speed though which is what matters.

Results:

• I hit quite a few warm up shots before starting to get data for the STi2. I was able to get into a groove where I was able to them out there to 140-145, but the shots that felt like I got all of it just didn't go as far as the TE forged. I also had a to delete a few as I was hitting some of these heavy.
  • The TE forged is my gamer and for whatever reason I hit it well with the Dynamic Gold. I did not delete any of the TE forged shots although the 135 carry was a mishit.
  • Graphite did not allow me to swing any faster and generate more ball speed in this test.
  • I will continue testing and see how the STi2 behaves on the range.
Dave

Last edited:
Back