Manuel de la Torre

golfer777

Reaction score
Handicap
My son is a big follower of his instruction. Supposedly simple, hands up, arms down, swing. Never heard of him. Has anyone followed his instruction? thanks

Never heard of him, but it looks like he was a great golf instructor. Will definitely look at his videos.

I've found some of his ideas helpful for sure

I love all the "external focus" teachers: Manuel de la Torre, Fred Shoemaker, Adam Young, and Shawn Clement.

The thing you have to do though is verify that your external focus is making the desired change. It does you no good (or perhaps little good) to have external focus with the still incorrect motion. If you think "throw the club" and still come over the top, you're going to still hit slices.

The theory is sound - by focusing on the correct external task it should lead to a more correct motion. But I've found it's still easy to think you're making a change only to find out later you did not.

I love all the "external focus" teachers: Manuel de la Torre, Fred Shoemaker, Adam Young, and Shawn Clement.

The thing you have to do though is verify that your external focus is making the desired change. It does you no good (or perhaps little good) to have external focus with the still incorrect motion. If you think "throw the club" and still come over the top, you're going to still hit slices.

The theory is sound - by focusing on the correct external task it should lead to a more correct motion. But I've found it's still easy to think you're making a change only to find out later you did not.

thanks, just ordered his book after viewing his you tube instruction. I need to simplify.

Excellent instructor that helped mold some great players.

Is he of the mind swing over the right shoulder and swing the arms down from the top?

My son is a big follower of his instruction. Supposedly simple, hands up, arms down, swing. Never heard of him. Has anyone followed his instruction? thanks
I have read his book, and have his dvd. The guy knows his stuff as far as I am concerned. I sometimes review his teachings as a reminder.

He learned golf from his father, who was a follower of Earnest Jones. Jones was big on just swinging the club head into the ball.

My own instructor of nearly 9 years followed de la Torre, and Earnest Jones methods of teachings. I found the instruction to be easily understood, with results being seen early, and continuous.

A newby golfer could do much worse than de la Torre, and the worse would include some of today's modern swing instructions.

Golfers in Milwaukee, especially members of the Milwaukee CC, rave about de la Torre where he gave lessons.

I am a big fan of his work. Have read the book, and also went through a few video recordings of his lessons on youtube. I find his instruction very easy to follow and easy to put into practice. His ideas seem almost too simple, and it is easy to get away from it by chasing the latest hotness (been there, and been a victim of a number of ideas from random youtube videos). If you can stick with his simple ideas, and pay attention to the careful wording in his books/instruction (e.g. distinction between hands vs arms etc), I feel it could be very good way of building a solid uncomplicated swing.

Back