Marijuana On The Course

Didn't read all the answers. I'm old and a good chance I might have called 911 so my kids would know what I would do if I caught them with drugs.

Didn't read all the answers. I'm old and a good chance I might have called 911 so my kids would know what I would do if I caught them with drugs.

If you called 911 here in TX about weed smoke you would be the one answering to the police.

Trying to avoid being political and keep this strictly to recreational use on the golf course (not medicinal). I have the same sentiment as a cig smoker and would not condone an illegal activity. I'm not going to tell you not to do it, just don't be offended if I choose not to partake and remove myself from the situation. Lucky for MI folk is that there's a great course right across the CA border and it just became legal today!

Is it harder to chip out of than Bermuda?

If you called 911 here in TX about weed smoke you would be the one answering to the police.
Did I miss Texas legalizing it?

We got calls about people smelling it all the time, frequently there was nothing we could do but it ended up with an arrest occasionally as well.

Yeah? What's the point? It's still illegal in all 50 states.

You said it is illegal in all 50 states, so which is it? Is this report wrong or is it illegal? That was why I posted it.

My personal opinion is it shouldn't be use in public at all ( even if it is legal in some states). If you want to put it into your body do it in your own home and no where else.

If it's just me out there and someone is doing it it's probably not going to bother me as long as I'm not constantly having to stand around it. However if my kids are with me I'm not going to be happy. I would use it as a teaching moment for sure but I would be tempted to break away from that group.

Did I miss Texas legalizing it?

We got calls about people smelling it all the time, frequently there was nothing we could do but it ended up with an arrest occasionally as well.

Not legalized but decriminalized in most of the bigger cities. The problem is tying up the 911 system with non emergency calls, no bueno.

There is such a heavy state of denial and deceit about this topic. Smoking while golfing on the course improves manners and greatly increases focus. The smoke is noxious, unless you use a vaporizer. NO PERSON UNDER 25 YEARS OF AGE SHOULD CONSUME THC. That's it. It is deleterious to the developing brain. End of subject.

For the smokers: Does it improve your game? Highly doubtful. Does it improve the experience? Unquestionably.
Why is it ok to indulge alcoholics or over-consumers of beer on the course? I know more "golfers" than I'd like to admit who enjoy the beers more than the golf. I've "played" with a lot of very famous ones.

There is such a heavy state of denial and deceit about this topic. Smoking while golfing on the course improves manners and greatly increases focus. The smoke is noxious, unless you use a vaporizer. NO PERSON UNDER 25 YEARS OF AGE SHOULD CONSUME THC. That's it. It is deleterious to the developing brain. End of subject.

For the smokers: Does it improve your game? Highly doubtful. Does it improve the experience? Unquestionably.
Why is it ok to indulge alcoholics or over-consumers of beer on the course? I know more "golfers" than I'd like to admit who enjoy the beers more than the golf. I've "played" with a lot of very famous ones.

You are correct about the consumption under 25, especially for males who's brains don't finish developing until that age. I could care less if people smoke it on the course, whether I'm sharing a cart with them or not. From my observation it doesn't help them score better but if being high makes them happy, so be it.

For any of you parents out there who might not think pot is more dangerous than alcohol for your kids. https://health.usnews.com/wellness/for-parents/articles/2018-01-24/3-things-i-wish-parents-and-teens-knew-about-pot

One legal, one not. If we're going to argue merits, there's always that... :)

What would I be more upset about, seeing my kids sneak a beer or catching them with a joint? The latter for sure due to the legalities. If both were illegal or if both were legal, that would change.

After being an emergency room physician, growing up with, marrying an alcoholic/prescription med abuser, I couldn't disagree with you more. Over-Consumption of alcohol/legal meds, and the myriad of associated accidents and problems it causes, is (to my knowledge) the Number One health and social problem in the world. Mild to moderate THC consumption actually improves focus, driving abilities, and lowers accident rates.
As is most everything in America, the lies and negative propaganda about marijuana, was promoted by a self interest group trying to create a financial monopoly, (the newspaper/print industry). They targeted minorities, and the hatred and insipid propaganda persists to this day. Read the Anslinger Report, from the 1920's.

Every pot smoker I've never seen on a golf course, as I've never seen one smoke openly in 55 years of playing, has gone into the woods to partake, to avoid the public humiliation or lawlessness.

My personal opinion is it shouldn't be use in public at all ( even if it is legal in some states). If you want to put it into your body do it in your own home and no where else.

Do you believe the same about alcohol? Genuinely curious.

After being an emergency room physician, growing up with, marrying an alcoholic/prescription med abuser, I couldn't disagree with you more. Over-Consumption of alcohol/legal meds, and the myriad of associated accidents and problems it causes, is (to my knowledge) the Number One health and social problem in the world. Mild to moderate THC consumption actually improves focus, driving abilities, and lowers accident rates.
As is most everything in America, the lies and negative propaganda about marijuana, was promoted by a self interest group trying to create a financial monopoly, (the newspaper/print industry). They targeted minorities, and the hatred and insipid propaganda persists to this day. Read the Anslinger Report, from the 1920's.

Every pot smoker I've never seen on a golf course, as I've never seen one smoke openly in 55 years of playing, has gone into the woods to partake, to avoid the public humiliation or lawlessness.

Could you lead me to a link about the bolded section please? Genuinely curious. I agree entirely its way better than alcohol. But increases driving ability and decreases accidents? Those are mighty controversial claims. Happy to learn if it’s true.

Could you lead me to a link about the bolded section please? Genuinely curious. I agree entirely its way better than alcohol. But increases driving ability and decreases accidents? Those are mighty controversial claims. Happy to learn if it’s true.
I think anyone who has ever smoked knows that's not true? Maybe a mild amount to a habitual smoker. But for someone who doesn't smoke alot it doesn't take much to retard reactions and motor skills.

I don't have a problem with it.. People can do what they want to do, as long as it's within reason and they aren't exposing kids to it visually.

I think anyone who has ever smoked knows that's not true? Maybe a mild amount to a habitual smoker. But for someone who doesn't smoke alot it doesn't take much to retard reactions and motor skills.
ee3d476575de06e459f32043c96bb37a.gif

Well it is going to be allowed on all courses in my area now that it's legal today here. Hopefully we can make an ungodly amount of money.
81bab48ee03ac7bc90d42414591095ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately the game is evolving like it’s players in a lot of instances, I’ve gotten paired up with some dope smokers on two separate occasions this year and I just kindly excuse myself from the group and play by myself.

I don’t care if I’m seen as the stuffy old prick, I just don’t hang with people that smoke dope, not my thing

Reactions: Ooo
Doesn't bother me as long as it's not in my general vicinity. I don't know how much I'd need to inhale for it to pop on a random drug screen here at work, but I know I'm not going to try to find out. (side note I don't care either, not taking a chance)

As for the kids piece, at the age the OP's kids are, it surprises me mightily that they haven't already been exposed to it on some level.

Do you believe the same about alcohol? Genuinely curious.

Slippery slope. 2 different substances, one legal one illegal (in most places) I guess I have to explain,
1. Alcohol does not effect you if I am drinking in a bar. Unless a person is stupid enough to get behind the wheel and drive.
2. Pot/weed whatever you care to call it will effect you/me if we are in a bar and you are smoking it and I am just sitting with my drink.

As someone who was once a drunk and doesn't drink anymore, I will never say to someone don't have the drink, or don't smoke what ever. You are an adult make your own decision, because no one is responsible for you but you.

I knew I should not have ventured into this thread.

Slippery slope. 2 different substances, one legal one illegal (in most places) I guess I have to explain,
1. Alcohol does not effect you if I am drinking in a bar. Unless a person is stupid enough to get behind the wheel and drive.
2. Pot/weed whatever you care to call it will effect you/me if we are in a bar and you are smoking it and I am just sitting with my drink.

As someone who was once a drunk and doesn't drink anymore, I will never say to someone don't have the drink, or don't smoke what ever. You are an adult make your own decision, because no one is responsible for you but you.

I knew I should not have ventured into this thread.

The effects to those in the vicinity are from the smoke, so what about something like edibles?

Assuming both are legal, and those partaking are responsible, not driving, using a limited amount, etc..

You are correct about the consumption under 25, especially for males who's brains don't finish developing until that age. I could care less if people smoke it on the course, whether I'm sharing a cart with them or not. From my observation it doesn't help them score better but if being high makes them happy, so be it.

For any of you parents out there who might not think pot is more dangerous than alcohol for your kids. https://health.usnews.com/wellness/for-parents/articles/2018-01-24/3-things-i-wish-parents-and-teens-knew-about-pot

Personally id rather see kids (16+) drinking than using pot. It can have very bad effects on devolving brains. Whereas learning to enjoy alcohol in responsible quantities is a skill many people could stand to learn

It would be hard to imagine someone smoking weed being dangerous on a golf course. The biggest problem would be them losing track of time and slowing up play, especially someone who hasn't used it much. Motor function decreases much less on marijuana than alcohol.

I disagree on the motor function. I don't drive drunk but I'd stand a pretty good chance of getting from point A to point B drunk. Granted it's been over 15 years time since I've used MJ (last time was before I had kids) but there was almost no chance I'd have made it anywhere while under the influence of that. I'd space out, zone out, forget I was driving etc.

The effects to those in the vicinity are from the smoke, so what about something like edibles?

Assuming both are legal, and those partaking are responsible, not driving, using a limited amount, etc..

If it is not effecting me then do your thing. And you did say the key word: RESPONSIBLE

Back