Marijuana On The Course

Tough question, which makes for great discussion.

Several points from me:

I do not partake. That being said, I think it is as ridiculous as can be that alcohol and tobacco are legal, but marijuana is illegal. I am very much a libertarian and think all drugs should be legal. Yes, even the really hard stuff.

Secondly, I do not have kids, and take umbrage with people who think that everything should center around the church of the child. I was exposed to real life as a child, and children need to be exposed to real life, not sheltered from it. Sheltering children from the real world and real life leads to non functional adults, in my opinion.

So given my points of view, I am OK with people smoking the Mary Jane on the course, as long as it is not impacting others (being dangerous to others, etc.)

Last edited:
It truly does not make a difference to me. I have enough friends that smoke weed and I partake too sometimes, although never golfing. Golf is hard enough. Skiing yes, fishing yes, no golf and cornhole for that matter. But, around my kids, who are now 18+, never. I tried to keep my kids away from it as much as possible because as a single, working full-time dad I needed to keep these as clean as possible. I do however agree weed is no different than booze. If you smoke everyday or drink everyday it will impact you, no question.

Vaping seems to be a better way as it has no smell, regular weed is so stinky its amazing. nothing like the old days. Also if you can't handle it or or impacts others then please don't do it!

That's definitely a state law thing. That too would be a big no no here.

Interesting factoid if someone is unaware. Drinking age is set by the states but was hammered (no pun right?) into the states by the federal government as 21 because if a state didn't comply they'd lose federal road maintenance money. Mainly driven by the insurance lobbyists. Most probably know that but if you didn't, you learned sumpin today.

At my advanced age, I try to learn something new every day. I also try to teach something new every day. My day is now 50% over. :)
I just need to learn sumpin new now. I'll forget it by the morning, but I'll still try.

I played behind a group of guys last week, it was playing pretty slow so we caught up to them on every Par 3 tee box and they were filling a bowl and lighting up on every tee box. It was a 5:20 round so I was temped to ask for a hit myself!!! There weren't any kids around if there had been I would have probably said something about it.

I played behind a group of guys last week, it was playing pretty slow so we caught up to them on every Par 3 tee box and they were filling a bowl and lighting up on every tee box. It was a 5:20 round so I was temped to ask for a hit myself!!! There weren't any kids around if there had been I would have probably said something about it.

Would have been better if it had been a 4:20 round.

Would have been better if it had been a 4:20 round.

lol. I think I've stated it but if I haven't, I really don't have any issues with it.... I just wasn't prepared to have that conversation with my kids at that moment in time. Otherwise blaze away. It wasn't like we could see (in my OP) anyone doing it. Just smelled it. So it wasn't like they were smoking it right in my kids faces. If that was the case it would have went an entirely different route. I wouldn't/couldn't put up with that.... if my kids are with me. Otherwise I have zero issues with it. I'd just rather not be forced into a conversation I'm not prepared for. Worst thing ever? Not even close, but uncomfortable because the conversation was forced on me and I wasn't ready for it.

Secondly, I do not have kids, and take umbrage with people who think that everything should center around the church of the child. I was exposed to real life as a child, and children need to be exposed to real life, not sheltered from it. Sheltering children from the real world and real life leads to non functional adults, in my opinion.
Thats a pretty bold statement in the sense that it also can easily backfire. Firstly...(and not said in any disrespectful way) but not having kids makes it easier for you to make the statement because you can only view it from one way. Those who have kids of course at one time didnt and now do so they in thier life have viewd it from both sides.

As for your logic backfiring? I'll suggest just to be careful what you wish for.
To understand lets think examples of extremes and then apply it accordingly somewhere in between. One extreme being kids totally sheltered from everything and the other being unsheltered from everything. The completely sheltered child "may" lack some of the ability to productively function in society and career. But the completey unsheltered child can more easily end up on the wrong side of the fence where not only lacking productive social functionality but also lead a life down a bad road.

Just think for the moment a child who grows up in a world (perhaps the worser parts of a 3rd world country) or even a very bad environment in any country or place. But a place none the less where crime , and violence are a peak and a norm, and basic law and order lacks and chaos is more a norm. Imo the child can have too much knowldge about the ugly but is not yet smart enough to know what to make of nor what to do with that knowledge even in spite of of parental guidence. Not to mention the parent too may have come from the same mold which can make the childs understanding of it all even more problematic. Also imo becomes too hardened and numb to many things an average person would find disturbing. Acceptable social skills and functionality and prductivitiy can be severly damaged and so can the behaviour paterns and choices they make as they grow and may have a negative affect on society.

I used extreme examples of complete shelter and complete unsheltered and somewhere in the middle of the two is probably the happy medium that works best. However if given two choices of having children either reside a bit more towards one extreme side than the other, I would rather have children reside on the side that tips a bit more towards the sheltered side of that scale vs the unsheltered side. I beleive in the end that would produce the better, more producitve, more functional, and more respectful society than the other. Imo there is such a thing as too much knowledge for a child.

Tough question, which makes for great discussion.

Several points from me:

I do not partake. That being said, I think it is as ridiculous as can be that alcohol and tobacco are legal, but marijuana is illegal. I am very much a libertarian and think all drugs should be legal. Yes, even the really hard stuff.

So given my points of view, I am OK with people smoking the Mary Jane on the course, as long as it is not impacting others (being dangerous to others, etc.)

Ehhhh. So the way I read your response, you are ok with folks exposing kids to pot and/or other drugs? Freaking world can't revolve around freaking kids, right?

I certainly didn't feel that way before I had kids and I damn sure don't feel that way now.

I realize the world doesn't revolve around my kids, but MY world revolves around my kids.

It was one thing to smell it on the course. Not really a big deal but I posted it here to get others takes on the situation. I can tell you right now that if someone idiot fired up a bong, or shoots heroin, or breaks out a crack pipe in front of my kids, they'll have a huge problem.

So congrats on not having any furry rugrats you have to care about. I do and I'd have it no other way.

Mellow down easy ya'll...

This is me being mellow, lol.

I only get worked up every once in a great while now and when I do I self impose a 3 day thread posting penalty. It's the golf thing to do. And since I enjoy being here I don't want to jeopardize that.

I still think it was funny they stripped Greg Haugen of his boxing title in the late 80s or early 90s because he tested positive for pot after the fight. Just think how bad he would have beaten the guy up had he not smoked any pot before the fight.

Thread derail: The first Pazienza fight was epic.

Interesting factoid if someone is unaware. Drinking age is set by the states but was hammered (no pun right?) into the states by the federal government as 21 because if a state didn't comply they'd lose federal road maintenance money. Mainly driven by the insurance lobbyists. Most probably know that but if you didn't, you learned sumpin today.

At my advanced age, I try to learn something new every day. I also try to teach something new every day. My day is now 50% over. :)
I just need to learn sumpin new now. I'll forget it by the morning, but I'll still try.

Your thumb and pinky are the same length, usually.

and we are born with our eyes full size and stay the same through our lives. They dont grow larger.

Too bad many of them are bloodshot half the time...lol

I am a little confused though. How do they not fall out later in life then when your head gets bigger?

I'll chalk it up to a mystery of life.

how about 18 holes

Rain. Bleck. I'll still get up and do the stuff that I should do anyways but wouldn't do if I could golf.

Back