Marijuana On The Course

Smiter

Dunce Cap For A Bit
Reaction score
Handicap
The "smoking on the course" thread got me thinking.... Usually dangerous (me thinking) I know, but this is something somewhat similar.

Last summer I took my kids out golfing very frequently on Sunday evenings. The course we played most is widely regarded as the "party course" around here. It's not a nice course, but it is a golf course and it's inexpensive, which is important when you have to pay greens fees for 3 every time you play. I'd rather play 3 rounds with them on a lower end course than 1 round on a decent course, within reason. This course is golfable. There are a couple that aren't so that's where I draw the line. If it's playable and the price is right, we are there.

Ok so on week one (we'll call it) I smelled a familiar smell. It's been a long time since I've used the stuff but you don't forget the smell. My kids (then 12 and 14) asked me "dad, what is that smell?" I just told them, "someone's burning something". That ended it. Then we hit week 2. Same smell. "Dad, what is that smell, it's the same as last week?" At that point I decided to tell them what it was. They were incredulous. What?? Golfers do that kind of thing?? Maybe it's my fault for putting golfers on a pedestal of virtuous glory in their eyes, but in a sport where you are expected to be call penalties on yourself, it was something different to discuss with them. I certainly would have preferred to have that conversation with them somewhere else, but it was what it was.

A couple points. It's not legal in Ohio, at least for recreational use-and it's medicinal use isn't really established yet. I also have zero issues with someone using it in any way. I don't use it but I MIGHT on an occasional basis if I wasn't subjected to random drug tests with my job. I really have no issues with it, although I highly doubt I would use it on a golf course-well maybe scrambles, lol-when you're only hitting 52 shots in 6.5 hours you gotta pass the time somehow, hahaha!:) I also want to point out that if it helps someone medically that's suffering otherwise (cancer patient), it's stupid to not consider it as an option to ease suffering. So that's how I feel about it.

If I have a point, it's that I'd rather have had the conversation with my kids about what was going on outside of a golf course. I don't want my kids to think it's 100% ok. They're at the age where I was a wild child. I don't want them to think that golfers, whom I have put on a high moral pedestal-maybe erroneously-are using this illegal substance all the time.

We're all just people, golfers and non-golfers. I know this but I like to think that the average golfer is going to be a more solid and honest person than the average non-golfer. Maybe I'm wrong here but I've met way more nice folks golfing than I have, on average, in other walks of life. I'd rather my kids equate high moral standards to someone that doesn't use illegal substances, regardless of how silly the laws regarding it are (in some folks opinion).

So what are your views? Am I wrong here and should I change my views? I only want what's best for my kids and if my views here are outdated, here's your chance to straighten me out. I'm willing to listen to any arguments for or against. Thanks!

Yeah you are wrong but it is all good and I understand where you come from. Best bet is talk truthfully to them. While marijuana is safer then alcohol by far there are studies that show it is not safe on developing brains. Show them those studies and punt the issue till they are adults. I think the higher morals by not smoking argument is just stupid, just as stupid as prohibition was. Hopefully the world has figured that out 80 years from now.

Full disclosure I rarely smoke these days but used to tons. I am more then happy to buy it when I am visiting my mom in California where I can walk into a store and by it.

I'm with you for the most part. Right or wrong it's illegal in many places still. If you want to smoke it in your private home then cool. But using it in a public places, especially in states in which it is illegal, is still rude in my opinion.

I would tell the kids that smoking dope is the same as drinking alcohol, both are used to get high and escape.

I see lots of people smoking on the course, doesn’t bother me, but it would be a different story with my kid.

In a place where it’s not legal it’s hard to balance my personal opinions on pot vs the legal system. I fully believe it should be legal, but as long as it’s not, then I have to explain it to my kid if we come across it in public.

I’m pretty open with my kid about that kind of stuff and encourage her to make up her own mind on things, as well as follow the law.

So in public is a bit sketchy, and pretty uncool.

Just for the record I think smoking anything be it cigars or cigarettes in public is rude as well.

Disgusting habit and everyone around you shouldn’t have to smell it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah you are wrong but it is all good and I understand where you come from. Best bet is talk truthfully to them. While marijuana is safer then alcohol by far there are studies that show it is not safe on developing brains. Show them those studies and punt the issue till they are adults. I think the higher morals by not smoking argument is just stupid, just as stupid as prohibition was. Hopefully the world has figured that out 80 years from now.

Full disclosure I rarely smoke these days but used to tons. I am more then happy to buy it when I am visiting my mom in California where I can walk into a store and by it.

That's ok. I want dissenting opinions and other views otherwise I'd have never posted this. I even admitted that if it was legal I might even occasionally do it. It's been close to 20 years since I have but back then I equated it to having fun. It never felt like it was something that would hook me or adversely affect my life. In my mind then (and now even) it's far different from addictive drugs such as heroin or meth. To me there's a huge difference.

My main issue with it was with others using it in public and forcing a conversation with my kids that I wasn't really prepared to have. On a golf course of all places, when I'm trying to hammer in the lesson that golfers are a cut above the normal person. And I'm not saying that I think someone isn't a perfectly good person if they Golf and use, I'm just saying the perception of a 12 and 14 year old is impacted by that.

Personally I don't care really either way. I think it's silly that if someone thats say dying of cancer and it's not an option to ease their suffering. I get a little fuzzy on recreational use, mainly because of the Driving a car aspect. There's zero chance I could have got from point A to point B back when I used it long ago. Throw in the aspect that someone that uses it is going to test positive for a long time thereafter, so you truly don't know their level of impairment. I don't like that aspect but if someone wants to use and isn't driving, be my guest.

I feel like the golf course is a great place to deal with these kinds of things. Golf is an incredible for teaching life lessons. Dealing with bad breaks, sticking with things, following the rules, and many other things can be found and taught on the course.

Eventually on the course they're going to see a frat boy 4some blitzed out of their minds. It's a good time to have a real talk about alcohol abuse, and following the law as kids. Same thing with mary j in this instance I think.

I would tell the kids that smoking dope is the same as drinking alcohol, both are used to get high and escape.

Common ground my friend. I knew we'd find it somewhere:)

I agree somewhat. In Ohio I'm much more ok with them seeing someone drinking a beer simply because it's legal. The end result is similar for sure dependent on the reasons, but with one being legal and the other illegal, I'd much rather them see something legal.

Maybe (probably, lol) we'll differ here but I don't see everyone that's having a beer or two trying to escape. It's an option for adults to responsibly use. It's an entire different story if they're having 26 every evening, but having one or a few every now and then I don't see an issue. As always, it's subject to differing opinions.

I see lots of people smoking on the course, doesn’t bother me, but it would be a different story with my kid.

In a place where it’s not legal it’s hard to balance my personal opinions on pot vs the legal system. I fully believe it should be legal, but as long as it’s not, then I have to explain it to my kid if we come across it in public.

I’m pretty open with my kid about that kind of stuff and encourage her to make up her own mind on things, as well as follow the law.

So in public is a bit sketchy, and pretty uncool.

Sums up my feelings almost exactly. I'm very open with my kids. That said at their age I'm not sure I want to have to explain the difference between marijuana and heroin. At 12 and 14 I want them to know that both are illegal and that they shouldn't use them. When they're closer to the magic 18, that's when I'd want to have the conversation that in my mind makes the distinction between the two.

I'm probably only kidding myself anyways, I guess I knew the difference back when I was their age so I'm not sure why I think they wouldn't. Still, even if they do, I want my stance to be a very firm "both are wrong for you now" with either.

Just for the record I think smoking anything be it cigars or cigarettes in public is rude as well.

Disgusting habit and everyone around you shouldn’t have to smell it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duly noted.

For purposes of this conversation I'd much rather my kids see and/or smell someone smoking a cigarette or a cigar.

I feel like the golf course is a great place to deal with these kinds of things. Golf is an incredible for teaching life lessons. Dealing with bad breaks, sticking with things, following the rules, and many other things can be found and taught on the course.

Eventually on the course they're going to see a frat boy 4some blitzed out of their minds. It's a good time to have a real talk about alcohol abuse, and following the law as kids. Same thing with mary j in this instance I think.

Good points. My only counters are we went there to golf and it's not the same as a drunk person/group in Ohio. It's not legal. Sure public intoxication isn't legal either but unless they're WAY overboard, we don't have to deal with them or even know about it.

My 3 kids were raised in California and sadly they knew what pot smelled like when they were in gradeschool. It was imposible to avoid the conversation. A couple little factoids: 70% of the marijuana consumed in the United States is by people with less than a high school education level. For those 70%, they spend an average of 27% of their disposible income on their THC habit.

My 3 kids were raised in California and sadly they knew what pot smelled like when they were in gradeschool. It was imposible to avoid the conversation. A couple little factoids: 70% of the marijuana consumed in the United States is by people with less than a high school education level. For those 70%, they spend an average of 27% of their disposible income on their THC habit.

1aaf973a95c02d492d1b5cd4e1abad50.gif

Nice Propaganda! Lol you seriously believe those numbers?

Let's compare crime stats vs alcohol. Which is a far more damaging Drug than marijuana.

The biggest contributiors to the cause against legalization are the alcohol and drug companies who have alot to lose

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Been around a bunch of it on course to be honest, and while it doesn't bother me. I can definitely see where discussing it with children would not be fun in the situation. Right, wrong or otherwise I can't imagine it's going to get any better at this point though.

Becomes completely legal here in Canada Thursday I believe. I’ve never been one to smoke myself (waste of money as it doesn’t affect me lol...no seriously, I’ve had many guys try to get me stoned, including my dealer lacrosse coaches once). I believe shouldn’t smoke in your group without permission, just like regular tobacco. Otherwise, I don’t care what people do. All the science shows it’s way less dangerous than alcohol and nobody seriously thinks prohibition of alcohol is a good idea, especially on the course. Saying that, I have 2 issues: 1) people still seem to think driving high is less dangerous than drunk; it’s not. 2) for the love of Joe Pesci don’t smoke bad pot. If it smells like a skunk, you should be banned from the course.

edit to the OP about kids: I don’t think it’s any worse than alcohol so don’t think it’s a much different conversation.

So 70% of the marijuana consumed in the US spends an average of 27% of its disposable income on itself?

That must be stopped. Otherwise that will compound so that by 2078, 86% of marijuana will be worth more than the top 1% of High Schools. That's 23.6% worse than projected and all our faces will have to go to jail.

Bummer.

Nice Propaganda! Lol you seriously believe those numbers?

Let's compare crime stats vs alcohol. Which is a far more damaging Drug than marijuana.

The biggest contributiors to the cause against legalization are the alcohol and drug companies who have alot to lose

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

I was wrong, I should have said 5/6ths or 83% of marijuana use is by those without a college degree. BTW, I have a few buddies that smoke pot at least a few days a week and one of them is a neurologist. But the idea that college grads being pot smokers as the norm, is false. It's not my statistic, but that of a Stanford professor:

The author in question is Keith Humphreys, a professor of psychiatry and Mental Health Policy Director at Stanford University. In a recent Washington Post piece entitled "The Stereotype of the College-Educated Pot Smoker Is Wrong," he notes that data from the federal government's National Survey on Drug Use and Health shows "'college grads account for only about one-in-six days of use,' the common measurement for national marijuana use.""]But pot use is also being assaulted on the intellectual front, with one of the most recent arguments against it coming from a Stanford professor who says the idea of the weed-smoking college grad is in large part a myth.

The author in question is Keith Humphreys, a professor of psychiatry and Mental Health Policy Director at Stanford University. In a recent Washington Post piece entitled "The Stereotype of the College-Educated Pot Smoker Is Wrong," he notes that data from the federal government's National Survey on Drug Use and Health shows "'college grads account for only about one-in-six days of use,' the common measurement for national marijuana use."[/URL]

A much more common pot smoker is my brother who never attended or graduated from college, despite having amazing physical gifts and multiple track and football scholarship offers from schools such as Ohio State, until he was busted at age 18 for selling drugs.

Last edited:
I would personally not go out on the course with a group who was smoking pot, and I would 100% keep my kids (my own children and my students) as far away from those who are smoking on the course as possible.

If they're respecting the course and everyone else on it (behavior, pace, not leaving trash, etc) it really doesn't bother me. I'm not going to call them in unless there is a line that is crossed somewhere.

So....that particular statistic is not real relevant to anything in this conversation, also, it was in an article on the economics of selling marijuana.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-pot-smoker-is-wrong/?utm_term=.a77b8daead7d

And here’s a nifty little article that says the exact opposite

https://www.dailywire.com/news/8242/study-how-many-americans-are-smoking-pot-number-pardes-seleh

I spent a lot of time researching marijuana usage and risk. I recommend anyone curious about it do their own research. The anti-pot mentality is shifting, with good reason. The original legislation against it pretty blatantly ignored all kinds of scientific evidence.

I really don't care if someone wants to toke up as long as they pay attention to who is around and are respectful if asked to take it elsewhere.

To the OP - I don't believe you are wrong at all.

I'm with you for the most part. Right or wrong it's illegal in many places still. If you want to smoke it in your private home then cool. But using it in a public places, especially in states in which it is illegal, is still rude in my opinion.

It's illegal in all 50 states. Shouldn't be, but it is.

It's illegal in all 50 states. Shouldn't be, but it is.
I know what you are getting at, but since the FBI and DEA aren't typically in the business of doing buy and busts or jumpouts, it is essentially legal in a number of states.

Back