Marijuana On The Course

I enjoy golf, but I agree holding the average golfer up as an example of the moral fiber of the world is a bit much LOL! Also acting like folks who use marijuana are immoral is a bit tired in this day and age. I have heard a lot of things come out of fellow golfers mouths that I don't think are very moral at all, from objectifying women, racism, and hearing GDit and JFC (I'm a fairly liberal part time pastor who doesn't mind cussing, drinking, or smoking, but I don't want to hear these 2 phrases) over and over. That's not to mention folks being well into their 2nd 6 pack and driving home after the round. As for marijuana on the course, if you enjoy it have at it, just manage your buzz for the drive home. Best bet is to get some edibles or a vape pen so no one even knows what your up to IMO. That way the crustier folks won't say anything.

I enjoy golf, but I agree holding the average golfer up as an example of the moral fiber of the world is a bit much LOL! Also acting like folks who use marijuana are immoral is a bit tired in this day and age. I have heard a lot of things come out of fellow golfers mouths that I don't think are very moral at all, from objectifying women, racism, and hearing GDit and JFC (I'm a fairly liberal part time pastor who doesn't mind cussing, drinking, or smoking, but I don't want to hear these 2 phrases) over and over. That's not to mention folks being well into their 2nd 6 pack and driving home after the round. As for marijuana on the course, if you enjoy it have at it, just manage your buzz for the drive home. Best bet is to get some edibles or a vape pen so no one even knows what your up to IMO. That way the crustier folks won't say anything.

So I am not a pastor, but everything else in this is pretty much spot on. Do as you please as long as you aren't affecting others, I don't care.

I've never used while golfing, but I'm curious to see the effects of it. I honestly think it would be a net benefit for my game if used correctly. Unfortunately Ohio is a little behind the times, but I think we'll see full legalization in the next few years. That will certainly make it easier to procure, though it's not hard to get now. As far as blazing up on the course, the smell wouldn't bother me but I can see it being annoying for others and would never consume it in that manner. Edibles or a vape would be the considerate way to enjoy without putting a damper on someone else's round.

Yeah, that's kinda where I was going with my questions in my last post... I think there are cultural factors at play re: the history of marijuana as an illegal substance that tend to cause different reactions and objections than we see related to, say, alcohol abuse, or speeding, or jaywalking, or whatever.

It's human nature for us all to point at what we perceive as moral failings related to activities that we don't personally take part in, and correspondingly, to minimize the ones that we DO.

I'm in Mass where it is legal. I smoke on the course, when I am off in the distance or away from others. When I see the Jr golfers it goes away. I wont smoke around the clubhouse and wont hang in the lot and smoke like others do. My suggestion is a vape pen.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's kinda where I was going with my questions in my last post... I think there are cultural factors at play re: the history of marijuana as an illegal substance that tend to cause different reactions and objections than we see related to, say, alcohol abuse, or speeding, or jaywalking, or whatever.

It's human nature for us all to point at what we perceive as moral failings related to activities that we don't personally take part in, and correspondingly, to minimize the ones that we DO.

The bold is the reason for "Judge not lest you be judged" I believe LOL! I think live and let live unless it is hurting someone else is kind of my way to go.

I am in MA too, and while I have a vape pen and edibles I don't partake a whole lot. Maybe once a week or so, sitting by the pool etc. As AcushnetGolf states a Vape pen is the best as it is odorless. Not sure how I would far on the course with it, it could get real ugly real fast but would be damn funny. Or I could shoot great.

It gets me in a great rhythm skiing though, can hit moguls like a champ!

Personally, not a big fan of it. I hate the smell of pot. Have never tried it and don't ever care to.

I'm in Mass where it is legal. I smoke on the course, when I am off in the distance or away from others. When I see the Jr golfers it goes away. I wont smoke around the clubhouse and wont hang in the lot and smoke like others do. My suggestion is a vape pen.

But unless Im mistaken its not legal to use in public nor public places. So as is the case in many the states its only legal in your own home.

But many people live in condos , apartments, and even townhomes where often the smell (like other odors such as cooking and cigs) will creep into neighboring dwellings and hence becomes an issue.

Idont have much issue with pot though since my teen years its not my thing. But I do have issue with the odor. And that just seems so much more potent nowadays than I can ever recall. It simply stinks terribly. Imo no reason anyone has to smell and breathe because someone else decides to smoke it. Especially why do kids have to walk through the smoke and smell as well? That's my only issue with it. I personally think alcohol (which has ruined so many countless amounts of families and lives) is much worse for that reason alone. But no one else has to smell it or drink it if they don't want to. Of course we all have to put up with the behavior fails of alcohol which even on the golf course can be terrible at times anyway.

In either case its not so much the substance as it is the people doing it which can be the problem.

never tried it and i hate the smell. but the few times that i did smell it on the course it didnt bother me. now if somebody in my group was lighting up and i had to smell it the entire round, that might be a diff story.

But unless Im mistaken its not legal to use in public nor public places. So as is the case in many the states its only legal in your own home.

But many people live in condos , apartments, and even townhomes where often the smell (like other odors such as cooking and cigs) will creep into neighboring dwellings and hence becomes an issue.

Idont have much issue with pot though since my teen years its not my thing. But I do have issue with the odor. And that just seems so much more potent nowadays than I can ever recall. It simply stinks terribly. Imo no reason anyone has to smell and breathe because someone else decides to smoke it. Especially why do kids have to walk through the smoke and smell as well? That's my only issue with it. I personally think alcohol (which has ruined so many countless amounts of families and lives) is much worse for that reason alone. But no one else has to smell it or drink it if they don't want to. Of course we all have to put up with the behavior fails of alcohol which even on the golf course can be terrible at times anyway.

In either case its not so much the substance as it is the people doing it which can be the problem.
It def does smell more these days. Mass is very relaxed on the laws, even though much hasn't changed. I was on the course a few weeks back and cops were smoking. I was on the course 2 years ago and cops were smoking. I look at it like this, I could go to the VA and get pills I could fight with for the rest of my life or have my Dr write me a script for mary.....I chose mary

It def does smell more these days. Mass is very relaxed on the laws, even though much hasn't changed. I was on the course a few weeks back and cops were smoking. I was on the course 2 years ago and cops were smoking. I look at it like this, I could go to the VA and get pills I could fight with for the rest of my life or have my Dr write me a script for mary.....I chose mary

The VA will fill you to the hilt with opioids and it’s ok, but can’t fill medical marijuana. It is an odd thing. I know they are a federal outfit, but the scourge of opioids which leads to heroin is exponentially more expensive to our country than marijuana. Strange times indeed...

I'll stick to Bourbon, but to each there own I guess!

How do you know you're not a fan if you've never tried it?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
This made me laugh more than it should have.

How do you know your not a fan if you've never tried it?

While I won't go into my thoughts on the title subject, I am pretty sure that is not a hard and fast rule. Im pretty sure there are things in this world, drugs or otherwise, you just know are not for you...

wow. 12 pages in a matter of days. Nice convo here and I'm glad to see it remain calm LOL.

My views on it aren't exactly strong. I'd never tell anyone they can't do something that's not harming me but I wouldn't want to be forced into a convo with my kids I wasn't ready to have. I've used, do use and keep it quiet. I'm not all out in the open about it because of views by various folks, relatives, friends, etc that would be totally against it due to its history of being illegal, etc. The way the laws are going is it'll probably be legal everywhere before its too long. Hard to believe already in the USA we can travel to 1 state and do something but then get arrested in another - what's united about that?

I have a young daughter and I'll be honest when she's old enough. I wouldn't care if she smoked but yes I would really want/push/make them wait until around 25 years old. I think that should be the smoking age but that's just me. I didn't wait that long but wish I did. Most people would look at golfers - wearing nice shorts/slacks/khakis that fit and don't droop around our waists, shirts tucked in, nicely pressed, looking ready for the course - as someone who'd follow every rule, law to the absolute letter but we all have our vices. Some are terrible and ruin lives - alcohol does that way more than other legal stuff. Cigarettes are the only product I can think of if used as directed will absolutely kill you in the end. They're finding cannabis can counter act cancer and various issues with drinking too much, etc. So I think as we grow, science studies, we'll probably find out its some miracle cure for many ailments.....or at least that's a hope of mine.

Great topic Smiter :)

I'll stick to Bourbon, but to each there own I guess!

I love my Bourbon as well. I have not been able to partake in what I enjoy more the bourbon for the last 21 years. My employer has a strict policy on that. I have some great memories of smoking on the course in my younger years. Being by myself 1 hour before dark playing a well manicured course as the sun was setting was pure heaven. It's the 1st thing I'm going to do again when I retire and I can't wait.

I love my Bourbon as well. I have not been able to partake in what I enjoy more the bourbon for the last 21 years. My employer has a strict policy on that. I have some great memories of smoking on the course in my younger years. Being by myself 1 hour before dark playing a well manicured course as the sun was setting was pure heaven. It's the 1st thing I'm going to do again when I retire and I can't wait.

LOL!!! Just not my thing.

I have not been able to partake in what I enjoy more the bourbon for the last 21 years. My employer has a strict policy on that. I have some great memories of smoking on the course in my younger years. Being by myself 1 hour before dark playing a well manicured course as the sun was setting was pure heaven. It's the 1st thing I'm going to do again when I retire and I can't wait.

... As a hippie from the late 60's I would MUCH rather my kids smoke some MJ or eat edibles than have them drinking alcohol or smoke a cigar or cigarette. Personally I just cant get high and play golf effectively, wish I could.

I've always had an open and honest relationship with my kids. They knew about subjects like sex or drugs from the first times they asked about them. That might not be others' cup of tea, and that's fine. We all raise our kids in our way. I've always looked at it this way. It's rarely the kid that was raised around guns and how to safely be around them that accidentally shoots his best friend. It's almost always the kid that doesn't have a clue and found something cool to play with.

I've been fortunate, in that regard, that I've never had to have a conversation with my kids that I "wasn't ready for". If they were ready for it, I was ready for it. It's lead to a relationship with my kids that been honest and open...both ways. My kids never felt that there was something that they couldn't come to me and my wife about, as a result. To me, that has always been the ultimate goal. Some might argue that I should have "sheltered" my children from things they weren't "ready" to learn. I couldn't possibly disagree more. But, different strokes for different folks.

My children have been shocked about very little in the world. When my kids asked me, I was very candid with them about drugs, my past use, the problems that it caused at times, and the fun that I had. I was honest about the fact that I was no longer a regular user but I didn't turn my nose up at the idea of partaking every once in a while (re: marijuana). One of my daughters asked me one time what would I do if I found drugs or alcohol in their room, backpack, etc. I told them we would probably have a long talk about the wheres, whys, etc. However, if I ever found them with cigarettes, I would cut their f***ing fingers off.

First, the disclaimers:

1) I don't personally partake... not because I don't like it, but because I REALLY like it. At this point in my life my career is based in large part on my moderate OCD, and when I'm high, it shuts off my OCD like a light. Totally gone. It's absolutely a relief and I love how it feels but I'd get fired real quick without the OCD.

2) I'll steer clear of the "legalize it" debate here; there's plenty of opinions on that and I don't have anything constructive to add to the discussion.

Can we expand a bit on the section I highlighted above?

Is it your position that the golfer who smokes a joint on the course is a less honest/moral person than the one who doesn't?

What about the golfer how has 6 beers and 3 Fireball shots, then drives home?

Or the golfer who drove 70mph in a 55 zone on the way to the course?

Or the one who takes a mulligan or improves their lie?

I'm interested in understanding whether your position is tied to morality in general, or just to weed, or...?

Thanks!

Legal is legal. Not legal is not legal. Driving drunk, not legal. Marijuana in Ohio (now somewhat legal, it’s changed since my OP) but smoking it is not legal regardless. I don’t drive drunk, especially with my kids with me.

If someone smokes marijuana in Ohio, it is not legal even with the law allowing licensed docs to prescribe it and someone to get it at a licensed dispensary.

Even so I could really not care personally. I just thought it to be in poor taste to be smoking it when my kids could smell it. That had to put them within a certain distance of them. What that distance is, I don’t know nor do I particularly care. On course, off course, wherever. Was it the worst thing to ever happen to them, no. Was it something I’d rather not talk to them about on a golf course? Yes.

Do I view it as being different from someone shooting IV drugs in their presence? Sure. But I still don’t have to think it’s ok. I wouldn’t have cared nor even started this thread a long time ago if my kids weren’t with me. They were, it bothered me a little bit, so I started a thread about it. It would also bother me if I had them out as a 3 some and the course paired me with someone that got blackout drunk too. Would either thing bother me without them with me? No. I’d definitely leave the blackout drunk guy behind, but it would piss me off if he got that way when I had my kids with me.

Someone drinking a few beers and not acting inappropriately, that wouldn’t bother me even with my kids with me. Someone being drunk and stupid would. We would leave that situation PDQ.

How do you know your not a fan if you've never tried it?

I have no interest in finding out. I'm happy with my life as it is. I don't need anything to relax me, mellow me out or take the edge off. I don't drink either. To each his own.

Back