Marijuana On The Course

The improving their lie, don’t care. Enjoy the game how you want. I’ll do it to if conditions dictate it, but I won’t post a score where I don’t play by the ROG-at least to the best of my ability. Same with mulligans. It can be annoying if they take multiple a side, but if that’s how they enjoy the game I really don’t care. My first time playing with THP’ers I topped my tee ball on hole one. I reteed. In my defense I thought I’d have another hour to warm up and was told to get to the tee.

Took about 3 practice swings and topped one 75 yards in front of me into a lake. It was also a muddy quagmire so I played LCP the entire round. I didn’t post the score so it didn’t matter. We were out to have fun.

Look I certainly am not the no-fun police. I play golf to have fun. I’ll play outside of the rules at times, I just don’t post those rounds. This year it’s been the wettest year on record so far. I’ve only got about 8 rounds in to date due to this and coaching obligations, and I’ve only posted 4 scores.

I don’t look at someone that uses marijuana as less moral. But I’m fine if my 7,14, and 15 year old do at this point in their lives. While I personally don’t really care, hell.. I might even at times away from my kids if I didn’t have to worry about losing my job if I was pulled for a random test, but it shouldn’t be done where others kids have no choice but to know what’s going on. I don’t drink to excess around my kids, although there are times I’ll have a drink around them. One legal, the other not. I won’t set a bad example by being a drunken fool in front of them even if I’m home and it’s perfectly legal.

My views are just that. My views. And if it upsets me a little that someone would use marijuana in an immediate enough vicinity of them that they know what’s going on, I think I have the right to be a little upset by it. I’m not super upset, I reserve that for drunk fools that are playing 30 minutes a hole (lol-if you know what I’m talking about, it’s lol on that). I set a bad example for them that day. Someone else set a bad example for them in my OP. At the end of the day, both are what they are. Poor decisions.

A simple response to your children, without lying, would have been “That’s what a skunk smells like”. If they hadn’t seen smoke they would have never known unless you told them. Then when they were older they would have just thought your were naive like I thought my dad was. Problem solved

As far as smoking pot on the course, I’m with the majority of the posters. Do it if you want, but be respectful of others. My rule has always been. If you wouldn’t want your momma to see it, then neither should strangers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legal is legal. Not legal is not legal. Marijuana in Ohio (now somewhat legal, it’s changed since my OP) but smoking it is not legal regardless.

If someone smokes marijuana in Ohio, it is not legal even with the law allowing licensed docs to prescribe it and someone to get it at a licensed dispensary.

Even so I could really not care personally. I just thought it to be in poor taste to be smoking it when my kids could smell it. That had to put them within a certain distance of them. What that distance is, I don’t know nor do I particularly care. On course, off course, wherever. Was it something I’d rather not talk to them about on a golf course? Yes.

But I still don’t have to think it’s ok.

... Just curious but if you were on vacation in the many states where it is now legal either recreationally or medically would you feel differently?

Legal is legal. Not legal is not legal. Driving drunk, not legal. Marijuana in Ohio (now somewhat legal, it’s changed since my OP) but smoking it is not legal regardless. I don’t drive drunk, especially with my kids with me.

If someone smokes marijuana in Ohio, it is not legal even with the law allowing licensed docs to prescribe it and someone to get it at a licensed dispensary.

Even so I could really not care personally. I just thought it to be in poor taste to be smoking it when my kids could smell it. That had to put them within a certain distance of them. What that distance is, I don’t know nor do I particularly care. On course, off course, wherever. Was it the worst thing to ever happen to them, no. Was it something I’d rather not talk to them about on a golf course? Yes.

Do I view it as being different from someone shooting IV drugs in their presence? Sure. But I still don’t have to think it’s ok. I wouldn’t have cared nor even started this thread a long time ago if my kids weren’t with me. They were, it bothered me a little bit, so I started a thread about it. It would also bother me if I had them out as a 3 some and the course paired me with someone that got blackout drunk too. Would either thing bother me without them with me? No. I’d definitely leave the blackout drunk guy behind, but it would piss me off if he got that way when I had my kids with me.

Someone drinking a few beers and not acting inappropriately, that wouldn’t bother me even with my kids with me. Someone being drunk and stupid would. We would leave that situation PDQ.

The improving their lie, don’t care. Enjoy the game how you want. I’ll do it to if conditions dictate it, but I won’t post a score where I don’t play by the ROG-at least to the best of my ability. Same with mulligans. It can be annoying if they take multiple a side, but if that’s how they enjoy the game I really don’t care. My first time playing with THP’ers I topped my tee ball on hole one. I reteed. In my defense I thought I’d have another hour to warm up and was told to get to the tee.

Took about 3 practice swings and topped one 75 yards in front of me into a lake. It was also a muddy quagmire so I played LCP the entire round. I didn’t post the score so it didn’t matter. We were out to have fun.

Look I certainly am not the no-fun police. I play golf to have fun. I’ll play outside of the rules at times, I just don’t post those rounds. This year it’s been the wettest year on record so far. I’ve only got about 8 rounds in to date due to this and coaching obligations, and I’ve only posted 4 scores.

I don’t look at someone that uses marijuana as less moral. But I’m fine if my 7,14, and 15 year old do at this point in their lives. While I personally don’t really care, hell.. I might even at times away from my kids if I didn’t have to worry about losing my job if I was pulled for a random test, but it shouldn’t be done where others kids have no choice but to know what’s going on. I don’t drink to excess around my kids, although there are times I’ll have a drink around them. One legal, the other not. I won’t set a bad example by being a drunken fool in front of them even if I’m home and it’s perfectly legal.

My views are just that. My views. And if it upsets me a little that someone would use marijuana in an immediate enough vicinity of them that they know what’s going on, I think I have the right to be a little upset by it. I’m not super upset, I reserve that for drunk fools that are playing 30 minutes a hole (lol-if you know what I’m talking about, it’s lol on that). I set a bad example for them that day. Someone else set a bad example for them in my OP. At the end of the day, both are what they are. Poor decisions.

Fair enough. I was trying to sort out whether you take issue with the general idea of any/all illegal or immoral behavior in front of your kids, or whether you take issue specifically with marijuana use.

PDQ.

I'm confused how a doctor can prescribe it and you have medical dispensaries but it's illegal? That makes no sense.

In Massachusetts it's illegal to smoke in public. Is that what you mean?

Its not very often I smell it on the course and I can smell it a mile away.

A few of my playing partners smoke but it's always Discrete and we're not 18 trying to imitate Cheech and Chong.

I'll take stoners over drunks every time Atleast the stoners won't want to fight you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm confused how a doctor can prescribe it and you have medical dispensaries but it's illegal? That makes no sense.

A few of my playing partners smoke but it's always Discrete and we're not 18 trying to imitate Cheech and Chong.

I'll take stoners over drunks every time Atleast the stoners won't want to fight you.

The law in Ohio states that marijuana cannot be smoked. It has to be edibles, patches, oils etc

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I smoke weed but I do not on the golf course generally. If I were to do it, I'd use a vaporizer so other people can't smell it. I hated the smell too before I started using it. It's not a big deal to me not to get stoned and golf. I love golf for what it is. I might have a beer, I might not. It defiantly doesn't bother me if someone else is smoking on the course but I get why it would for others.

I have a couple of buddies that smoke when we play and it doesn't bother me. It's legal in Canada now so we smell it pretty much everywhere.

I'm 66. At one time I was a heavy user and drinker. I decided to stop both. I love the idea of getting high. I just don't like the idea of drunk/high driving. One thing about weed, you don't just have one.

It’s not legal to smoke it even with an RX now. It can be vaped, eaten, or any other way. But you can’t burn it. Hey, I know it doesn’t make sense, but I wasn’t the one that wrote the law:)

... Just curious but if you were on vacation in the many states where it is now legal either recreationally or medically would you feel differently?

Well..... probably. It’s now legal medically since I started this thread long ago, and as I have explained even so, it’s still illegal to smoke it. Even with an RX and obtained legally through a licensed dispensary. It can be vaped, etc. Just not smoked.

So if I was at a place where it was legal 100% to smoke, I would feel different about it, at least some. Look, I’m not even against it and this thread has kind of taken a life of its own. The only thing I really had any issue at all with was others doing it in an area that contained my kids. Otherwise blaze away if that’s your thing. I would even entertain doing it occasionally (and obviously not in the presence of my kids) if it was legal and my job wouldn’t be on the line with it. I’m not sure about that, but in the right setting I would at least consider it if it was being passed around.

I'm 66. At one time I was a heavy user and drinker. I decided to stop both. I love the idea of getting high. I just don't like the idea of drunk/high driving. One thing about weed, you don't just have one.
That makes no sense. Sure you can have just one. Maybe your thinking of alcohol and alcoholics.

I know plenty of people who take 1 and stop.

Last edited:

Actually... MJ can be legal and illegal at the same time. While many states have made it legal for medical and/or recreation... it is still against Federal law, and feds can arrest you for possession.

If I took more than one I would be on the ground and useless LOL. One is perfect for me, ok maybe two

I do get what you are saying, I have a couple of friends that smoke weed when we play golf and I don't really have a problem with this as they say smoking helps them be more relaxed and have more fun when we play. I'm not bothered by people doing this as a form of self-enjoyment as long as they keep being mindful of who is around them, for example, a family with kids. More than that one of them bought last year on black friday led grow lights from a site he found started his own personal farm in the basement. I am not particularly into this stuff, but I don't judge my friends and other people who smoke once in a while.

Last edited:
Ahhhh I’ve always wondered when this thread would pop up. I’m a recreational user of the stuff. I have a kid so obviously I don’t really do it much at all anymore. However, I do have a stash for weekends alone and I have my vaporizer. The vaporizer is what gets about 90% of the action nowadays. It’s discreet, rarely smells, and can carry it anywhere. Ironically the golf course is only time I really get to smoke.

I generally only use my vaporizer as I can easily control how much of a buzz I’m getting. And I don’t feel bad about doing it at the course. I have friends that do it much more than I do. Sometimes I feel uncomfortable with how much they do it.

I see both sides of the fence. If you are discreet and can finish a joint in a half of a hole. And only burn a couple that’s ideal. I just don’t like it if the course is packed, especially with families, if they are smoking THE ENTIRE time, or are going incredibly slow because of it.

However all in all, we are outside an no harm is really being done. It’s only going to be more lax rules on it in the future. We might as well be ready to explain to our kids about the facts of the drug at any time. Tik tok has already destroyed the innocence of children anyway.

A couple of my golf buddies do it. I've got a disc issue in my neck so sometimes I'll take an edible an hour before tee time. Feels GREAT! For those that golf with pain, you might want to consider experimenting with some of these edibles. I've got some gummies and espresso beans for different purposes. Gonna make a tincture here pretty soon with some 100 proof brandy.

Also, no smoke from me so it doesn't bother anyone else.

I think the fact that you are asking the question of "did I make a good parenting decision" says a lot about what type of parent you are, @Smiter . From day one of being a parent, I knew that everything we say or do has an influence. As far as bringing it up to the kids, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. We can only put some thought into whatever decision we make, try to remember how we were when we were kids, and hope for the best.

When my kids were the age or yours, pot was illegal and that made it much easier as a parent. When they asked if it was harmful, I told them while it may or may not be less harmful than tobacco or alcohol, it's never made anyone smarter or healthier. I shared my opinion of how it compares to drugs like coke, heroin and meth and as was always the case when we discussed issues, that was only my opinion. I didn't share my past with them until they were much older and at that time let them know how stupid some of my decisions were.

Now that the drug is legal in Michigan and my children are adults , that changes a lot. We talk pretty openly about this. Both are working professionals and make what I believe are good decisions. While I choose not to use it for the same reasons as the OP, I'm ok with it being legal - as long as people don't put others in danger. Which brings me back to the topic of marijuana on the golf course.

The only issue I have is the firm belief that one should not operate a motor vehicle while under the influence (talking about the drive home, not the golf cart). I hate the hypocrisy of those who criticize pot and cigarettes while being ok with "having a few" and then getting behind the wheel on a regular basis. I suppose moderation is key. The smell of pot burning probably isn't going to hurt anyone as long as they aren't in the same group. Whatever the law states as far as where and when is probably what I'd go with.

I've seen you on the course Cheech, hope you are doing well!

I've seen you on the course Cheech, hope you are doing well!
@rlefig True true but would much prefer potheads to drunks on the course.

Most of the altercations I have seen involved Alcohol in some way or shape.

@rlefig I am well hope you are also my friend.

@rlefig True true but would much prefer potheads to drunks on the course.

Most of the altercations I have seen involved Alcohol in some way or shape.

@rlefig I am well hope you are also my friend.

I agree and doing well too bad did not get out and golf this year. Maybe there is still a chance

I think the fact that you are asking the question of "did I make a good parenting decision" says a lot about what type of parent you are, @Smiter . From day one of being a parent, I knew that everything we say or do has an influence. As far as bringing it up to the kids, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. We can only put some thought into whatever decision we make, try to remember how we were when we were kids, and hope for the best.

When my kids were the age or yours, pot was illegal and that made it much easier as a parent. When they asked if it was harmful, I told them while it may or may not be less harmful than tobacco or alcohol, it's never made anyone smarter or healthier. I shared my opinion of how it compares to drugs like coke, heroin and meth and as was always the case when we discussed issues, that was only my opinion. I didn't share my past with them until they were much older and at that time let them know how stupid some of my decisions were.

Now that the drug is legal in Michigan and my children are adults , that changes a lot. We talk pretty openly about this. Both are working professionals and make what I believe are good decisions. While I choose not to use it for the same reasons as the OP, I'm ok with it being legal - as long as people don't put others in danger. Which brings me back to the topic of marijuana on the golf course.

The only issue I have is the firm belief that one should not operate a motor vehicle while under the influence (talking about the drive home, not the golf cart). I hate the hypocrisy of those who criticize pot and cigarettes while being ok with "having a few" and then getting behind the wheel on a regular basis. I suppose moderation is key. The smell of pot burning probably isn't going to hurt anyone as long as they aren't in the same group. Whatever the law states as far as where and when is probably what I'd go with.

So fast forward a couple years.... I have a medical condition that has me taking a pill form of chemo. I spent many weeks so sick I could barely make it through the day and the nerve pain I was in was unbearable at times.

My doctor tried damn near every medicine known to man and none of it really helped. He then referred me on to a medical MJ doctor.

To say the results have been amazing for me would be to understate it. I was able to almost immediately stop taking all other medications to control side effects.

I don’t smoke it, that’s still illegal in Ohio. I use a tincture. The first couple times I did it I did get pretty high, but it had been 18-20 years since I had used it. Once accustomed to it, you can control precisely the dosage you’re getting. I also plan my dosage schedule around my driving day. I don’t use it to get high I use it because it helps tremendously when nothing else would. No one even knows I’m using it unless I tell them.

My kids no longer live FT with me as I also got divorced this year. I did tell my 2 oldest boys that I was a medical MJ user. But they’ve seen the misery I’ve been in, I’m down about 50 pounds since April. They have no issues with it, and I try to use it responsibly. I.E. not using it within a certain time of driving, not getting messed up on it, etc. in short I treat it like a medicine. Which it is to me. Once it’s no longer needed I will stop using it. Which is hopefully 10 weeks and 1 day from now.

So I guess my view on this now is????

I see the other side to it, and I have no issues with someone using it, I think I even stated that way back when this thread first started. But I’d still prefer they be a little more subtle about using an illegal drug (I don’t think we had medical then?) in what is a still illegal fashion. Especially since my kids were around. I don’t even let them see me use my tincture.

I’m very pro medicinal now, neutral on recreational. Maybe a little better than nuetral as I guess I would vote to fully legalize it in the hope that it would help some people that wouldn’t otherwise use it. It was a rough life for a good long while before I found that. I did want to lose some weight this year though so......

Back