Marijuana On The Course

A couple of my golf buddies do it. I've got a disc issue in my neck so sometimes I'll take an edible an hour before tee time. Feels GREAT! For those that golf with pain, you might want to consider experimenting with some of these edibles. I've got some gummies and espresso beans for different purposes. Gonna make a tincture here pretty soon with some 100 proof brandy.

Also, no smoke from me so it doesn't bother anyone else.
I never thought about the edible before the round. my sciatica was hurting again today and it really affected me. I have a dozen or so gummies. I’ll try one about 45 min before the next round.

Smoking or eating edibles have done nothing for me as far as reducing my back pain. They do improve my mental outlook however!

Smoking or eating edibles have done nothing for me as far as reducing my back pain. They do improve my mental outlook however!

I kind of concur. If my back hurts it still hurts. But the every nerve on fire type pain that I was experiencing was knocked down 95%.

That and my 7:00am sharp daily barfing session stopped. And my 8:00am.... Well you get the point.

Me neither. (The smoking that is.) I'm not thrilled with the med program here at all, but a medical product is much preferable to smoking black market whatever, for sure. Glad to have it available at least. They just need to not bankrupt people with these programs, and leave some choice in the matter as to how you and your doc want to proceed and types of meds available. Too expensive here. And I don't think it needs to be. Too much bureaucracy with patients in the middle. :((n)

Pro tip is to use Indica for golf. It relaxes your body. Sativa gets your mind cranking and can cause you to really overthink out there. In my experience too much thinking is not good for golfung LOL!

Pro tip is to use Indica for golf. It relaxes your body. Sativa gets your mind cranking and can cause you to really overthink out there. In my experience too much thinking is not good for golfung LOL!
I have read that African Zulu warriors used Sativa to just get amp'd, and the mico focus is insane. Not to mention a heady high can be relaxing too. Different strains in both camps.

Gotta be a hybrid indica for relaxation, and higher cbd for muscles/inflammatory reduction, and sativa mixed in for more focus. :p
They're mostly hybrids. (y)It's pretty much another form of produce. (y)

Sometimes it helps to focus on the two seconds in front of your nose. :cool:
Man would I love to play a round with Robert Garrigus and pick his brain.

I have read that African Zulu warriors used Sativa to just get amp'd, and the mico focus is insane. Not to mention a heady high can be relaxing too. Different strains in both camps.

Gotta be a hybrid indica for relaxation, and higher cbd for muscles/inflammatory reduction, and sativa mixed in for more focus. :p
They're mostly hybrids. (y)It's pretty much another form of produce. (y)

Sometimes it helps to focus on the two seconds in front of your nose. :cool:
Man would I love to play a round with Robert Garrigus and pick his brain.

Maybe someone should come up with a Golfer's Hybrid.

I’m searching for symptom relief. (Nausea and nerve pain mainly). I’ve personally found very little difference between Indica and Sativa.

I also don’t use it to get high, although that occasionally happens as I make my own tincture. The first test of that, who knows what’ll happen? There can be widely variable results even using the same raw product. It’ll decarb at different temps snd times based on moisture content, etc etc etc. so sometimes I get a 100% yield sometimes, not so much.

I’ve gotten better at judging though. I would say I get 90+% yield almost every time now.

Just like anything. The more you do it, the more you learn. I’m a scratch HC now, lol.

I hope I’m done with this soon though. It’s not my cup of tea, but it’s probably saved me from chewing a shotgun barrel. There were days prior that I was so miserable I couldn’t function.

My oncologist recommended it and sent me to a DR that specializes in medical MJ. It’s been beneficial but if you’d have told me when I started this article would I not only be using MJ, but doing it every day? I’d have called you nuts. But when you’re at a dark place you will try anything. It’s been a miracle for me.

It is indeed different when you use it frequently. I treat it as any other medicine and take it in certain amounts at certain times. I plan my driving portion of the day around it. But I used to get all kinds of messed up on it. Lose time, everything. Once you adjust (and use it as medicine versus getting high), it’s really pretty tame. It controls nerve pain and nausea probably 98% better than taking nothing and probably 50% better than any other RX I’ve taken.

I’m searching for symptom relief. (Nausea and nerve pain mainly). I’ve personally found very little difference between Indica and Sativa.

I also don’t use it to get high, although that occasionally happens as I make my own tincture. The first test of that, who knows what’ll happen? There can be widely variable results even using the same raw product. It’ll decarb at different temps snd times based on moisture content, etc etc etc. so sometimes I get a 100% yield sometimes, not so much.

I’ve gotten better at judging though. I would say I get 90+% yield almost every time now.

Just like anything. The more you do it, the more you learn. I’m a scratch HC now, lol.

I hope I’m done with this soon though. It’s not my cup of tea, but it’s probably saved me from chewing a shotgun barrel. There were days prior that I was so miserable I couldn’t function.

My oncologist recommended it and sent me to a DR that specializes in medical MJ. It’s been beneficial but if you’d have told me when I started this article would I not only be using MJ, but doing it every day? I’d have called you nuts. But when you’re at a dark place you will try anything. It’s been a miracle for me.

It is indeed different when you use it frequently. I treat it as any other medicine and take it in certain amounts at certain times. I plan my driving portion of the day around it. But I used to get all kinds of messed up on it. Lose time, everything. Once you adjust (and use it as medicine versus getting high), it’s really pretty tame. It controls nerve pain and nausea probably 98% better than taking nothing and probably 50% better than any other RX I’ve taken.
I am sorry you are struggling so much. I am glad marijuana is helping you cope. It has been a wonder for me and being anxious during this pandemic while trying to balance keeping the family safe, not being able to be as close to mom and dad as we had been in the past due to their risk, trying to manage our church and have it open safely, taking on direct reports at work one of whom is going through the immigration process (a nightmare of bureaucracy), among other stressors. I have been super thankful all year though that we had our health. I can't imagine having that thrown in on top of all those things. Every evening after work when I go pick my son up from basketball just ahving a bit to chill out for the evening at home has been great.

I live in MA and have grown my 12 plant garden each of the past two years that it's been allowed. I see absolutely NO moral angle here at all and this repeating theme in here about legality strikes me as odd. The list of things that have been illegal in the past include many things that we wouldn't bat an eye at now. If I'm not taking anything from anyone, hurting anyone or placing anyone else at risk, WTH does legality, independently, have to do with moral choice? Were these guys being immoral?

1607426283449.jpeg

That said, I don't toke on the course. Not that anyone should care. I just hit the ball sideways if I do so it's been many years since I've even tried. I enjoy playing golf well so I enjoy my sobriety on the course. It's simply not a moral issue.

It's legal here in IL and there are a few buddies of mine who habitually partake on the course.

I love the stuff... too much... so I don't =)

I'm not an addict, and I have no problem with anyone who partakes - I'm just a guy who gets paid to be somewhat OCD, and marijuana turns my OCD completely off, haha. I'd be super relaxed all the time but get fired =)

Once I retire I'll probably take it every day.

We have legal "pot stores" out here. Anyone of legal age can walk into the store and purchase the stuff. I believe it's a "cash only" transaction.

It is still illegal to smoke the purchase any where but inside your own residence. It's still illegal to be under it's influence out in public, even after smoking in your residence.

A lot smokers stretch that law to include their back yards. Our course has quite a few of "those" back yards. It's a common smell on our course.

I've seen golfers smoke their stuff while playing. That in itself doesn't bother me. What might bother me is the mental shape a user might be in while driving away from the course. It's no different than an alcohol related DUI in my book. Law enforcement treats it the same way.

If I am out on the course with one of my Grandkids, and someone lights up, I will kindly excuse ourselves from that group.

As for telling youngsters about it, we've always went with the "honesty is the best policy" scenario with our Daughters, on everything they asked about. They have done the same with our Grandchildren.

Strong eyeroll to that analogy above. Honestly I don't care whether people smoke or not - but I really dislike the smell of any kind of smoke on the course. I'm there trying to be outside, I'd rather not have the assault on my senses.

I know a couple guys I play with that went up for a member/guest tournament in Oregon. They went to one of the shops and the guy asked them what they were going to be doing. They told him they were going to be golfing and just wanted something mellow. He got something and said this is what you want. So maybe they already have something like that.

They have! It's called a hybrid strain.
MMJ Has come a long way people it's not the same swag you were smoking 10+ years ago. You can choose your effect to some extent. Whether it be pain relief or stress or sleep but you won't get the same strain for each.

Maybe if people thought of it like they do wine or liquor with all the Boutique brands that offer better quality and much more choice.

Jmho

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We have legal "pot stores" out here. Anyone of legal age can walk into the store and purchase the stuff. I believe it's a "cash only" transaction.

It is still illegal to smoke the purchase any where but inside your own residence. It's still illegal to be under it's influence out in public, even after smoking in your residence.

A lot smokers stretch that law to include their back yards. Our course has quite a few of "those" back yards. It's a common smell on our course.

I've seen golfers smoke their stuff while playing. That in itself doesn't bother me. What might bother me is the mental shape a user might be in while driving away from the course. It's no different than an alcohol related DUI in my book. Law enforcement treats it the same way.

If I am out on the course with one of my Grandkids, and someone lights up, I will kindly excuse ourselves from that group.

As for telling youngsters about it, we've always went with the "honesty is the best policy" scenario with our Daughters, on everything they asked about. They have done the same with our Grandchildren.

The cash only thing is in response to Federal prohibition laws. Credit cards transfer monies across State lines and that violates Federal law....or so I've been told.

Strong eyeroll to that analogy above. Honestly I don't care whether people smoke or not - but I really dislike the smell of any kind of smoke on the course. I'm there trying to be outside, I'd rather not have the assault on my senses.

Interesting....and I'm not arguing with you but a brief whiff of weed smoke is an assault on your senses? Seems a bit overboard.

MMJ Has come a long way people it's not the same swag you were smoking 10+ years ago. You can choose your effect to some extent. Whether it be pain relief or stress or sleep but you won't get the same strain for each.

Maybe if people thought of it like they do wine or liquor with all the Boutique brands that offer better quality and much more choice.

Jmho

We had the first dispensary in the State open a couple of years ago. The line each day stretched for blocks. It lead to a lot of jokes about the stoners but then the owner made a pretty solid counterpoint in an article in the paper. Suppose that there was one store in the State that sold cigarettes. How long would the line be? Suppose that was wine and liquor, how long would the line be? How about coffee? There's lots of different poisons out there.

We now have several in the area and none of them have those big lines anymore. What's funny is that I haven't stepped into one of them. Remember my gardens I mentioned? What I don't get is why everyone doesn't grow where it's legal. Even if they don't puff. Have you ever grown $3000.00 worth of tomatoes?! It's a lot of fun to grow.

I live in MA and have grown my 12 plant garden each of the past two years that it's been allowed. I see absolutely NO moral angle here at all and this repeating theme in here about legality strikes me as odd. The list of things that have been illegal in the past include many things that we wouldn't bat an eye at now. If I'm not taking anything from anyone, hurting anyone or placing anyone else at risk, WTH does legality, independently, have to do with moral choice? Were these guys being immoral?

View attachment 8978532

That said, I don't toke on the course. Not that anyone should care. I just hit the ball sideways if I do so it's been many years since I've even tried. I enjoy playing golf well so I enjoy my sobriety on the course. It's simply not a moral issue.

I find this post odd based on your replies in the Music on the course thread.

Jmho

Actual it had been almost 40 years but I’m fully aware of difference in potency.

I did my first grow of 12 plants this year. Those plants ended up yielding almost a pound of buds. Almost all has been given away and I understand from those who know that it turned out very well... good genetics I would guess because I felt like I did everything wrong while learning. I believe it is a sativa strain but I’m not sure. I’m already pretty hyper and this strain does nothing to counteract that. Feels like it gives me more energy.

To the point of the thread, I haven’t smoked any on the course yet, but would have to know that no one else would be close by out of respect for those who would object.

Last edited:
This is my take. I don't mine someone using something that doesn't impact the air I'm breathing. I think if anyone is using anything, marijuana or alcohol that causes them to reach a level of impairment that limits their ability to respect the course and others then we have a problem. Outside of that, do you.

I find this post odd based on your replies in the Music on the course thread.

Why? I could tolerate 30 seconds of music no problem. If a player just needed to hear the opening riff of Sweet Home Alabama and then turned it off for the rest of the round, I'd be just fine with that.

Similarly, if I was riding with someone and bombing joints all round long, I can see why that would bother someone. One whiff of it from a distance outdoors? Can't see how that would ruin anyone's good time.

Why? I could tolerate 30 seconds of music no problem. If a player just needed to hear the opening riff of Sweet Home Alabama and then turned it off for the rest of the round, I'd be just fine with that.

Similarly, if I was riding with someone and bombing joints all round long, I can see why that would bother someone. One whiff of it from a distance outdoors? Can't see how that would ruin anyone's good time.

This is my take. I don't mine someone using something that doesn't impact the air I'm breathing. I think if anyone is using anything, marijuana or alcohol that causes them to reach a level of impairment that limits their ability to respect the course and others then we have a problem. Outside of that, do you.

I don’t like to smoke anything anyways, although I do have a vape pen for a quick pick up that I use a time or two a day. But I primarily make a tincture so I can pretty precisely control dosage and no one that I don’t want to know even knows that I’m using it.

The vape pen leaves almost no odor.

The vape pen leaves almost no odor.

I seem to be in the minority, but I’m going to have to disagree there. MJ vapes are the Sex Panther of the marijuana world. The scent stings the nostrils. I’d much rather be around an MJ smoker than vaper.

Neither bother me though. You do you. On or off the course. Just keep it discrete, respectful, and don’t over indulge on course.

Agree. As a further point, societally we expect tabaco smokers to keep their 2nd hand smoke away from others. I don't think its too much to ask the same thing of people who smoke pot.

Edit: basically I'm saying I don't really care what other people do if it doesn't impact me.

Back