Marijuana On The Course

I'm waiting for the courses to get their weed license, just like they have a liquor license. A few more bucks in the kitty

Still 20% discount on all items in the pro shop with a membership? :LOL:

I don't have any problems with smoking marijuana while playing golf, till he or she doesn't smoke near my children or don't make any problems to my family. I also liked to smoke a little bit of weed some time ago while I was playing golf, but I did it only in the smoking area, and only when I was very stressed and wanted to calm. Now I stopped smoking at all, and don't regret it. I think that guys from Online Dispensary Canada are sad that they have lost such a good client as me. I was buying stuff from them for about 10 years. If you will ever need good stuff for a very good price order from there.

Last edited:
It’s not legal in any form where I live and I’ve never encountered it on the course. I wouldn’t have a problem with it though. My only issue would be if I got paired up with a random and they were smoking in the cart with me. My work has random testing and zero tolerance, so I wouldn’t want to risk popping positive from the contact.

As somebody who has never used the stuff, everything I read about it seems to indicate that it would probably be a good thing for me were I allowed to use it. I’m wound way too tight, always anxious, and have a very hard time relaxing or slowing down. It would probably help my golf game, but I’m even more interested in what impact it would have just in general. Unfortunately Texas will probably be among the last states to legalize it, and even then I imagine my employer would prohibit it for employees.

I respect the heck out of people who abstain from any drugs, whether it be caffeine, alcohol, or MJ. I'm sure I could, but I don't want to. I don't judge them as a prude and I don't want them to judge me as a lush. Unless I'm you're playing partner where we've both put money on the line to be in a tournament, I don't want to hear your opinion as to what I should or shouldn't put in my body while I enjoy myself on a day away from work, ESPECIALLY when it doesn't harm you. I wonder how a playing partner would feel if I said "hey man, I'd really appreciate if you didn't drink any coffee before the round, I really don't want you to get the jitters and mess your game up. Even worse, you may get jittery and run me off the cart path into a tree while you're driving the cart."

Almost everything we put in our body plays some sort of role in our behavior. You eat a meal full of carbs you might feel a little tired right after. You eat a meal full of sodium and you may feel bloated. You rip a half a bowl and you may feel a little slower. You shotgun a beer, you may feel a little disoriented. You drink some coffee and you may feel the "caffeine crash" on hole 6.

Just let people enjoy golf, it doesn't matter if you smell a little bit as you drive by, it doesn't effect you. Just like you walk by the port-a-john and smell :poop:. Don't breathe in through your nose and keep on movin. Those who say they haven't encountered it probably have and never even noticed., it's everywhere. Someone may have had a vape pen, someone may have popped an edible, etc.

Where legal, do you see a difference between having a couple beers (or 12) and someone smoking? Drinking is more than acceptable on any course so why on earth would smoking be considered wrong?

I respect the heck out of people who abstain from any drugs, whether it be caffeine, alcohol, or MJ. I'm sure I could, but I don't want to. I don't judge them as a prude and I don't want them to judge me as a lush. Unless I'm you're playing partner where we've both put money on the line to be in a tournament, I don't want to hear your opinion as to what I should or shouldn't put in my body while I enjoy myself on a day away from work, ESPECIALLY when it doesn't harm you. I wonder how a playing partner would feel if I said "hey man, I'd really appreciate if you didn't drink any coffee before the round, I really don't want you to get the jitters and mess your game up. Even worse, you may get jittery and run me off the cart path into a tree while you're driving the cart."

Almost everything we put in our body plays some sort of role in our behavior. You eat a meal full of carbs you might feel a little tired right after. You eat a meal full of sodium and you may feel bloated. You rip a half a bowl and you may feel a little slower. You shotgun a beer, you may feel a little disoriented. You drink some coffee and you may feel the "caffeine crash" on hole 6.

Just let people enjoy golf, it doesn't matter if you smell a little bit as you drive by, it doesn't effect you. Just like you walk by the port-a-john and smell :poop:. Don't breathe in through your nose and keep on movin. Those who say they haven't encountered it probably have and never even noticed., it's everywhere. Someone may have had a vape pen, someone may have popped an edible, etc.

I could give a rip about who puts what in their body. I’m very much on the side of decriminalization of most recreational drugs. However, for someone to suggest that I modify my behavior (don’t breathe through my nose) is just wrong. The smell of weed doesn’t “effect” me per se, nor does the smell of poop from a port a potti- but pooping isn’t a choice. If my playing partner wants to light up, fine. Just don’t do it while sitting next to me in a cart or standing near to me on the putting green. I smoke cigarettes when golfing, but only by myself or at a distance from others, out of RESPECT for what another person may or may not care for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could give a rip about who puts what in their body. I’m very much on the side of decriminalization of most recreational drugs. However, for someone to suggest that I modify my behavior (don’t breathe through my nose) is just wrong. The smell of weed doesn’t “effect” me per se, nor does the smell of poop from a port a potti- but pooping isn’t a choice. If my playing partner wants to light up, fine. Just don’t do it while sitting next to me in a cart or standing near to me on the putting green. I smoke cigarettes when golfing, but only by myself or at a distance from others, out of RESPECT for what another person may or may not care for.

So should work both ways right? My gist was "ignore it and keep moving". I was specifically referring to people who b*tch about "catching a whiff" as they drive by.

I used to play with a guy who would head into the bushes about the 10th hole and then his game would fall apart and he'd get upset...LOL
He had a Medical MJ card for his bipolar issues :eek:k:, which I thought was odd in itself.
I used to indulge in my much younger days, but quickly discovered it was bad for my game, same as alcohol.

So should work both ways right? My gist was "ignore it and keep moving". I was specifically referring to people who b*tch about "catching a whiff" as they drive by.

Not sure what you mean by working both ways, but I do acknowledge that the smell of marijuana is very “lingering” you might say, compared to a cigarette for sure. I live in Oregon where it’s legal, and I will occasionally smell weed from inside my own vehicle with the windows rolled up. In areas where it’s not legal (not saying it is where you are) there’s a justifiable stigma attached to the smell of weed, and I don’t have a problem with someone bitching about it. Even here, you’re not supposed to consume in public but it’s looked at differently due to the laws. Whether you agree it’s right or wrong, it’s not unreasonable to expect people to have a problem with it, and that’s their right. Main point was that to say that people who don’t like it should just not breath normally seems pretty inconsiderate.

I don't have an issue with marijuana usage where it is legal. I don't smoke anything and do not enjoy being around others smoking, with the exception of the occasional celebration/victory cigar. There look to be a lot of nice modest dose thc/cbd consumables, and if I were to imbibe, that would be my preferred method.

Welcome to THP Stoney Mahoney. :ROFLMAO:
Well, that's one way to make an entrance eh?! Welcome to THP @JoanJhoness!

Where legal, do you see a difference between having a couple beers (or 12) and someone smoking? Drinking is more than acceptable on any course so why on earth would smoking be considered wrong?
There's one guy who sometimes comes out with us and he uses. He's good about it though and knows we don't all want to inhale his second-hand smoke so is quite conscientious. I think the difference between drinking and smoking is that when you swallow a mouthful of beverage, I'm not also tasting it whereas if someone lights up, they can't completely control where that smoke is going. It's all legal up here though, so as long as the course is okay with smoking on grounds and the person is being respectful I've got no issues.

With many states allowing recreational use of the stuff, I am not surprised more and more people are using them on the course.
Having said that, I don't care for them. I prefer not to be expose to them in general.

I smoked some crazy strong pot a few years ago for the first time since I was a teenager at the course. I have never been that confused and my golf swing no longer existed. It was funny but an absolute nightmare when I would top the ball over and over trying to get to the green

I smoked some crazy strong pot a few years ago for the first time since I was a teenager at the course. I have never been that confused and my golf swing no longer existed. It was funny but an absolute nightmare when I would top the ball over and over trying to get to the green

My buddies and I had a rule, no smoking until at least the 15th hole. If you’re not a regular smoker at least the whole round wasn’t a wreck. Anymore we are getting up there in the years, most of us pass and don’t really miss it. Enjoy it while you’re young.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by working both ways, but I do acknowledge that the smell of marijuana is very “lingering” you might say, compared to a cigarette for sure. I live in Oregon where it’s legal, and I will occasionally smell weed from inside my own vehicle with the windows rolled up. In areas where it’s not legal (not saying it is where you are) there’s a justifiable stigma attached to the smell of weed, and I don’t have a problem with someone bitching about it. Even here, you’re not supposed to consume in public but it’s looked at differently due to the laws. Whether you agree it’s right or wrong, it’s not unreasonable to expect people to have a problem with it, and that’s their right. Main point was that to say that people who don’t like it should just not breath normally seems pretty inconsiderate.

Ok, we'll just agree to disagree, because now you're just nitpicking semantics and throwing out baseless accusations of "justifiable stigma".

Well, that's one way to make an entrance eh?! Welcome to THP @JoanJhoness!

There's one guy who sometimes comes out with us and he uses. He's good about it though and knows we don't all want to inhale his second-hand smoke so is quite conscientious. I think the difference between drinking and smoking is that when you swallow a mouthful of beverage, I'm not also tasting it whereas if someone lights up, they can't completely control where that smoke is going. It's all legal up here though, so as long as the course is okay with smoking on grounds and the person is being respectful I've got no issues.
Glad your buddy is respectful and I wish more people were like him. Another analogy would be cigarette or cigar smoke on the course, if smell is the only concern. Ideally everyone would be similar to your friend however there are a ton of a**holes out there that ruin it for everyone.

My buddies and had a rule, no smoking until at least the 15th hole. If you’re not a regular smoker at least the whole round wasn’t a wreck. Anymore we are getting up there in the years, most of us pass and don’t really miss it. Enjoy while you’re young.
That day, even if I would have waited until 15, it would have increased my score by at least a factor of 2 overall!

Glad your buddy is respectful and I wish more people were like him. Another analogy would be cigarette or cigar smoke on the course, if smell is the only concern. Ideally everyone would be similar to your friend however there are a ton of a**holes out there that ruin it for everyone.
I agree. Any smokable is in the same boat. Just be respectful and most guys are pretty tolerant, in my experience anyway.
But you’re right. Unfortunately there are some people who are only out for themselves - regardless of circumstance.

Since it became legal here in Washington state, more and more people are smoking on the course. My job prevents me from smoking and quite frankly I doubt I could even hit the ball if I did.

Having that discussion with kids is tough because the message we send in society is that alcohol is a-ok but MJ is evil even though alcohol is addictive and incredibly destructive while MJ is relatively harmless. Heck, you turn on daytime TV and you'll invariably see a bunch of yentas throwing out bad opinions while drinking wine at 10:00 in the morning and we think it's charming, however every time I see that I think to myself "would it be charming if they were on TV doing bong rips during their talk show"? Of course the answer is no but that's the rub. If you try to explain the truth to kids you run the risk of them thinking we lied to them about all drugs so heroin and meth must be pretty ok too, and then you have to reconcile why the bad one is legal and accepted when the not-really-bad one isn't. None of it makes logical sense so you can't expect kids to comprehend it, but you have to have that talk and a golf course isn't the place for it. To your point, I'd explain it like I explain most things - golfers or teachers or cops or whoever are just normal folks like everybody else and some will make good choices while others won't, and you should never assume someone is moral, ethical or right just because of their title, their hobby or their job.

Do you know why some people buy weed? Damn, they mix it up with **** like cocaine. This happens when they don't feel high from pure substance. Marijuana. This drug increases the cardiotoxicity of cocaine, the feeling of euphoria caused by it, reduces dysphoric symptoms. As a result of clinical studies, it was found that when marijuana is mixed with cocaine, the concentration of the latter in the blood increases. It is assumed that marijuana dilates blood vessels, increasing the bioavailability of the main drug. If you are a hostage of a drug, contact fherehab.com.

Last edited:
Back