Mark Newel - President USGA

T2GRN18

Reaction score
Handicap
Newly elected to lead the USGA. What would you charge him to fix, change or implement with our game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The ball. With Mike Davis now completely on board that increased distance is not good for the game. Newel should push the issue with all stake holders.

Create more youth programs and build on some 6-12-18 programs to encourage more variations in play opportunities for all golfers.

Oh, and leave the ball alone.

Shot clock, 2019 rules ASAP, allow the use of distance devices during PGA events.

Shot clock and enforce pace rules.

Slow play!!!

Bifurcated rules and pace of play. Leave the ball alone for us regular hacks.

Shot clock, 2019 rules ASAP, allow the use of distance devices during PGA events.

I think the use of distance devices just seems like a no brainer, fixes the pace of play issue. They are getting the same number anyway, I dont see the harm to the integrity for this one.

Ban this lady from all major tournament grounds

Diana+Murphy+zuv9AEKUO_mm.jpg

Recognize that golf played day-to-day by your typical amateur and that played at the highest levels of the game including professional are two different animals. Be willing to bifurcate the Rules where it makes sense (e.g. stroke and distance).

Pace of play on tour. Don’t touch the ball.

1. leave the ball alone
2. create more junior/youth opportunities
3. find a way to encourage 6, 9, 12, or 18 hole rounds
4. Enforce pace of play on tour
5. dont set up the US Open like Mike Davis did.

What others said.

Slow play and Bifurcation.

If the USGA instituded pace of play requirements, does the PGA Tour have to apply them?

Trust me, I'm 100% for improving pace of play.

But.

Isn't pace of play on tour more up to the PGA Tour? They have the rule in place, but don't enforce it, isn't it kind of their bad? I understand if the USGA implemented shot timing into their rules that it would apply to the Tour, but what we see on TV is a result of the PGA Tour not enforcing their pace of play rules, no?

As far as this new guy, just do everything you can to stay OUT of the spotlight and headlines. The talk of US Open week shouldn't be centered around you or your decisions on course setup.

Back