Mass Dq on Outlaw Tour

Steve2100

Manifesting
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
real 18 hc
To be honest I didnt even know there was any Tour going on now but thanks to Monday Q (great twitter follow btw) he wrote about the 1st Round of the Verrado Founders Championship where 14 players were DQ'd for playing from the wrong tees. They actually played from farther back tees so they werent trying for an unfair advantage they just followed the groups in front of them. Do you think that was the right call? Or do you think it also falls somewhere on tourney officials who I would think would have people on each hole making sure things run smoothly?

Yep, great follow for sure!

I saw his tweet about this too and was amazed that it could happen. I’m torn here though. Part of me says the players need to be aware, but so do the tournament officials. And the other point that I liked - why were there multiple tee boxes set up during a tournament? Were there multiple events going on at the same time?

To be honest I didnt even know there was any Tour going on now but thanks to Monday Q (great twitter follow btw) he wrote about the 1st Round of the Verrado Founders Championship where 14 players were DQ'd for playing from the wrong tees. They actually played from farther back tees so they werent trying for an unfair advantage they just followed the groups in front of them. Do you think that was the right call? Or do you think it also falls somewhere on tourney officials who I would think would have people on each hole making sure things run smoothly?
It falls on the tournament set up committee. They should have 1 set of tees on the course, not multiple. The players should be informed enough to read the rules. Kind of like DJ.

Seems like both parties are at fault but I put most of it on the tour for poor setup. Players get in such a zone playing at that level that thinking about which tee to play from isn’t top of mind

I just read that article, remember seeing a similar one a few months ago from, I think, a high school tournament somewhere. Sounds to me like the failure falls squarely upon the tournament organizers. It should be perfectly clear which tees they should be playing from. And since it was their screwup and the players didn't gain any competitive advantage from playing from longer tees, they should have let it go without DQ'ing them - or come up with some kind of equitable remedy.

Kinda falls on both, but is still the players responsibility to know the tees they are playing. Personally I would have given them a pass as they made the hole longer for themselves. But ignorance to the rule is no excuse.

I think I read something similar happened in a HS tournament last year. Poor tournament management

14? Sorry but that is not the players fault. They have another issue.

I believe there was even a backup at that hole so foursomes just followed the ones in front of them that they saw hit from those tees. I know it’s a small tour but someone should have caught that!

What! A golf tournament is going on and there’s no footage! I’m outraged! And the golf channel is giving us junk! Junk!

14 dq’s Isn’t a player issue. That lies on the tournament. (There’s an echo in here):ROFLMAO:

Never even heard of this tour. Seems like there is joint responsibility between tournament committee and players. For a tournament like this, there should only be one set of tees to alleviate any confusion. If it was spelled out in the rules which tees are to be played, then that part is on the players for not paying attention to the rules.

What! A golf tournament is going on and there’s no footage! I’m outraged! And the golf channel is giving us junk! Junk!

14 dq’s Isn’t a player issue. That lies on the tournament. (There’s an echo in here):ROFLMAO:
Don’t you call Big Break junk! Ever! Haha I loved that show back in the day πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

What? No link?

Without reading the story, it's difficult to pass judgment. Was this an issue on only one hole? As a player, I'd be making damn sure I was playing from the correct tee and not just following others. Of course, I'm not too worried about standing out and challenging the status quo as most of us here know.

true, fault of both, but players should know what tees they are playing, but there should also only be one set of Markers. Unless its a so small tour that they are playing and fee players are playing right in behind them

Last edited:

I don't see it in that article. Were there multiple teeing areas identified? Were the tees that they played from (at 222, I think) a different color/design than the ones they played at hole 1 and 2? I'm leaning toward it being players' faults.

I don't even understand how this is a thing.
Are there multiple sets of tees on the course when PGA players are playing?
I get it is a lesser tour, but why wouldn't they just pull markers on the tee boxes that aren't supposed to be used.

I think it falls on both, but the majority on the committee for not double checking.

Don't you think there should have been a marshal around to set them straight? Don't they put sponsor signs at the correct tee position?

Oh man. Players need to know, but this sounds like a massive failure by the tournament staff. Funny enough something similar happened in a cross country race I ran back in high school. A bunch of runners took a wrong turn and get a few extra paces in.

I fail to see how this is anyone's fault other than these players'. If the markers were out, they know to play from them.

It's called the Outlaw tour? Is that why they're still playing golf? Becasuse they're "outlaws"?:ROFLMAO:

Don’t you call Big Break junk! Ever! Haha I loved that show back in the day πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
@MattyD-MPLS I'll not dis Big Break. That's where Blair O'Neal got her start from right? She's on the golf channels school of golf

My boy raises a good question. When the tournament committee sets up a course for a tournament, they create a scorecard for the tournament, right? If this is correct, are the yardages on the scorecard to the middle of the green or to the flag? If they're to the flag, then that could be a reason why the tees were at the closer yardage if the pin was in the back.

Either way, he agrees with me that this is nearly all on the players. Is it shytte of the committee to not have it setup to match the card? Yes, but the player is responsible for getting clarification if he needs it.

My boy raises a good question. When the tournament committee sets up a course for a tournament, they create a scorecard for the tournament, right? If this is correct, are the yardages on the scorecard to the middle of the green or to the flag? If they're to the flag, then that could be a reason why the tees were at the closer yardage if the pin was in the back.

Either way, he agrees with me that this is nearly all on the players. Is it shytte of the committee to not have it setup to match the card? Yes, but the player is responsible for getting clarification if he needs it.
I just figure if 14 of them did it and nobody caught it, it's hard to put it all on the players.

That's a good point and I agree... 14 golfers DQ'ed isn't a golfer issue... it's a tournament thing.

Back