sposey013168

Reaction score
Handicap
I tried searching and I am sure there is a thread on this, but I could not find anything. I want to get a mat a net for my backyard. I want something that is good and of course at a reasonable price. In the Net I am looking for something that is easy take down and set up (all manufactures say they are easy but thats not always the case) as for a mat I want one I can stand on while hitting, I am guessing 4 x 6? If any of you can steer me in the right direction I would be thankful.

Someone put up a youtube video of a guy who built his own net. It looks quite simple and works great.

I use the Callaway 8x8 net and while it's starting to fall apart after 2 years, it still works. My next one will be the one I build myself based on the video I mentioned above, which hopefully someone will hopefully provide the link to.

For a mat, I wholeheartedly recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Dura-Pro-PREMIUM-Commercial-Order-SHIPPING/dp/B002WP852G/ref=pd_sbs_sg_8

I've been using it, a lot, for well over a year and it's still in brand new condition.

I have a net coming in the next few weeks that might interest you, though I can't speak about quality and convenience until it's tested. It's supposed to be very easy to set up.

From what I've seen, unless you are willing to spend money on a mat (a lot of money), most are pretty bad. I have a cheap Acuity mat (12 x 24) that works fine for the price - 24.95. It get's tore up, but I figure it's cheap to replace and has lasted almost three months. Very hesitant to spend much more unless it's one of the highly regarded ones.

The Acuity net from Dicks is terrible. Maybe the single worst piece of golf equipment I've ever owned. It was next to impossible to set up, falls over all the time, the back drop has a hole in it, the back drop seperated from the net, the net has a hole in it, and the webbing that holds the rods is coming apart. Garbage.

Someone put up a youtube video of a guy who built his own net. It looks quite simple and works great.

I use the Callaway 8x8 net and while it's starting to fall apart after 2 years, it still works. My next one will be the one I build myself based on the video I mentioned above, which hopefully someone will hopefully provide the link to.

http://www.amazon.com/Dura-Pro-PREMIUM-Commercial-Order-SHIPPING/dp/B002WP852G/ref=pd_sbs_sg_8

I've been using it, a lot, for well over a year and it's still in brand new condition.

I will check that out

I have a net coming in the next few weeks that might interest you, though I can't speak about quality and convenience until it's tested. It's supposed to be very easy to set up.

From what I've seen, unless you are willing to spend money on a mat (a lot of money), most are pretty bad. I have a cheap Acuity mat (12 x 24) that works fine for the price - 24.95. It get's tore up, but I figure it's cheap to replace and has lasted almost three months. Very hesitant to spend much more unless it's one of the highly regarded ones.

The Acuity net from Dicks is terrible. Maybe the single worst piece of golf equipment I've ever owned. It was next to impossible to set up, falls over all the time, the back drop has a hole in it, the back drop seperated from the net, the net has a hole in it, and the webbing that holds the rods is coming apart. Garbage.

Thats what I was afraid of on mats, to get anything decent its an arm and a leg. It would just make practice easier if I could jump in the backyard, being a single dad that has his son full time, it is hard to get practice time in. But I am not complaining, he helps keep me young lol

I really need to find a good mat to hit off of in the back yard for my wedges.

I might try and contact one of the artificial grass companies here in Dallas to see if they would sell me a strip of their grass. It HAS to be better than those mats that are for sale in golf stores.

I will check that out

Yes, it's an expensive mat, but it's worth the price. I use it on a concrete slab and can hit all day without the wrists getting sore. Well, maybe not ALL day but you get the message. Thin crappy mats will kill your wrists and tear up.

For a good mat, I dont think that is really expensive. I am going to start shopping for one of those now. Thank you very much

BTW - I need to find that "Fufikura" shaft you are using in your sig. Sounds interesting. :D

I have been looking at the BirdieBalls mat. Its only $70 unless you want both sides but i think im content standing in the grass i just dont want to tear up the yard. There was a review thread awhile back but it focused mainly on the putting green. Maybe someone that has one will chime in.

***Hawk could you tell us which net you are getting in so we can look at it?***

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry man. I can't remember the name for the life of me and I don't have the product info with me at the moment. I'll take a look later on and try to find it.

Here's the video I was referring to earlier.

That thing looks great! This is what you are getting?! I might have to get this for my backyard now!

Yeah that looks pretty cool and with set up and tear down that easy, I could use it behind my apartment and then take it down and put it away

Yeah that looks pretty cool and with set up and tear down that easy, I could use it behind my apartment and then take it down and put it away
That is key! The set up and take down and how easy it is. Looked pretty easy from the videos.

That is key! The set up and take down and how easy it is. Looked pretty easy from the videos.

Exactly....I can't have one set up all the time, but I can set up something like that and hit balls for an hour or so and take it down

Just and FYI - Callaway claims that their 8x8 net is easy to take down. It may look easy to take down these nets that use the skinny tent poles but, it is most certainly not. Good luck.

I don't think you could hit a full shot short iron into that pro advanced net either. The top half is way too small.

As far as mats, I have a http://www.realfeelgolfmats.com/ and love it. It is alittle on the higher side but doesnt hurt the wrists and I have it on my pool deck. sits outside in the sun and rain and looks new. It will give on fat shots which really helps simulate turf when I cant get to the range.

Shane...don't make the mistake I did last year regarding nets. I got one similar to one mentioned above...looked like a 7x9 tent, fiberglass arch poles and all. I immediately had to go to the hardware store and purchase bigger stakes to keep it from running away from the force of a shot. It took forever to assemble so I decided I needed to leave it up permanently. It only took 2 weeks for SW MO spring wind to destroy it. Broke all the fiberglass rods, tore the rods out of the sleeves they slide into, etc...I also had to layer up ductape on the target for more strength because my first shot went right through it and through the back of the net. I now have a 20 dollar net I found at WalMart that has an inflatable frame. I have not used it yet so I can't comment on it but I assumed the inflatable set up would allow me to put it up and take it down quickly so the weather couldn't destroy it.

Shane...don't make the mistake I did last year regarding nets. I got one similar to one mentioned above...looked like a 7x9 tent, fiberglass arch poles and all. I immediately had to go to the hardware store and purchase bigger stakes to keep it from running away from the force of a shot. It took forever to assemble so I decided I needed to leave it up permanently. It only took 2 weeks for SW MO spring wind to destroy it. Broke all the fiberglass rods, tore the rods out of the sleeves they slide into, etc...I also had to layer up ductape on the target for more strength because my first shot went right through it and through the back of the net. I now have a 20 dollar net I found at WalMart that has an inflatable frame. I have not used it yet so I can't comment on it but I assumed the inflatable set up would allow me to put it up and take it down quickly so the weather couldn't destroy it.

I use bricks on each corner instead of stakes and reinforce the netting. I do, however, try not to hit 150mph driver shots into it. Usually I'll stick to hybrids and irons. For me, it's not a practice tool in as much as it's a muscle memory and tempo tool. Just keep the swing in the groove.

Back