Match Play - would you play separate or combined at the same time.??????

CorvetteGuy

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.6
I belong to several clubs as do several other friends I know out here in rainy Seattle. 2 of my Clubs are running a Singles Match Play tourney and I entered both. This week the draw happened at both clubs to set up the brackets. Club A sets me up with Phil so we agree to meet up this weekend to play our match. Club B did their brackets yesterday and to my surprise -- I drew the same guy - Phil. So, now in this month we have to play each other 2X. Phil is suggesting we just play a 2 for 1 - winner take all in one match, I have to give the guy 7 strokes. So my question to you smart guys - would you or would you not do both at the same time? He has only played about 9 times this year .. I play about 3-4 times a week. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

I belong to several clubs as do several other friends I know out here in rainy Seattle. 2 of my Clubs are running a Singles Match Play tourney and I entered both. This week the draw happened at both clubs to set up the brackets. Club A sets me up with Phil so we agree to meet up this weekend to play our match. Club B did their brackets yesterday and to my surprise -- I drew the same guy - Phil. So, now in this month we have to play each other 2X. Phil is suggesting we just play a 2 for 1 - winner take all in one match, I have to give the guy 7 strokes. So my question to you smart guys - would you or would you not do both at the same time? He has only played about 9 times this year .. I play about 3-4 times a week. :unsure::unsure::unsure:
Are your clubs clubs with courses? Two different courses? I would play them both. No reason to play less golf!

I'd play separately. If the unthinkable happens in the first match, you have a shot to get even. If you win the first, you get a chance at more tournament golf. Never a bad thing.

Are your clubs clubs with courses? Two different courses? I would play them both. No reason to play less golf!

My clubs are always with me - never would I leave them anywhere.

Play it as two separate matches. More golf is never a bad thing. Especially tournament golf

My clubs are always with me - never would I leave them anywhere.
No, I meant do you belong to golf clubs with real estate. Golf courses.

Play twice. Twice as nice.

Play it as two separate matches. More golf is never a bad thing. Especially tournament golf

I would agree but in this case I am leaning towards 1 match & both are done,. I am not lacking for tourney golf since I currently play in about 2 tourneys a week. and my weekends are filling up this month. My opponent is still working so he can only play on weekends. I am retired so can play any day and value my weekends for a few other things or other clubs men's club events. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

No, I meant do you belong to golf clubs with real estate. Golf courses.

Play twice. Twice as nice.

Yes 3 of my clubs to which I belong have golf courses and men's clubs and lots of events. 2 other clubs to which I belong are traveling golf tourney clubs. Equates to about 160 rounds a year -

I would suggest you play twice. The lower handicap golfer plays to their handicap more often. That would suggest that you are more likely to win one of 2.

I would suggest you play twice. The lower handicap golfer plays to their handicap more often. That would suggest that you are more likely to win one of 2.

good point and I have considered that as well - since I play so often my scores do not vary much - but looking at his scores he varies a lot probably due to very little play due to his work schedule and his handicap being about 12. so I could probably have 2 good games and he mostly likely would only have 1 good game out of 2. :unsure::unsure:

Yes 3 of my clubs to which I belong have golf courses and men's clubs and lots of events. 2 other clubs to which I belong are traveling golf tourney clubs. Equates to about 160 rounds a year -
Sounds like good enough reason to play both matches to me!🍻

It is unlikely I would want to do a one off on that. Unless the one you're playing this weekend sets up really well for you. I'm not a big fan of calling results without actually performing the actions anyway, and it sucks when someone just concedes, which is basically what the losing person would be doing for the next match. Aside from that, anything can happen with 7 pops. Pops don't care when and where you each play well and don't, and holes won can align in funny ways sometimes. As a control freak, I don't like things (next match) being decided out of my control. I'm a play it down, play it out kind of guy anyway, so unless I had a scheduling conflict that could really benefit, I'd go Ernie Banks on it. Let's play two!

I would also point out that playing twice is better- You can tell him that it would be in HIS best interest, not yours, based on hdcps. Since he is the higher, he is MORE likely to have a blowup round if only playing once. If that once is against you, he might be a bit chuffed. 2 goes would be more "Fair" for the both of you.

So very interesting topic. My league is a solo league tour-style flighted league that plays a different course each week ( option of 1 of 2 courses to play from each week ). Along with that is a 64 member match play tournament. We are encouraged to either play the stroke nad match play at the same time OR we can play outside the league for the match play. But it does become a different beast when you are playing both stroke and match play in the same round.

If you have your A game right now play both...if not one at a time.

I'd play separately. If the unthinkable happens in the first match, you have a shot to get even. If you win the first, you get a chance at more tournament golf. Never a bad thing.
Exactly this. No way I only play one match and take the chance of getting sandbagged.

I would play twice.

I would always play both ties, it guarantees more golf and with shots you are giving him I would say he won't have 2 good days and beat you twice so you are most likely through in one bracket.

Definitely twice, no reason not to in my mind. Double the golf, double the fun!

I would say play twice - mainly because it sounds like the tournaments are based at different courses?
Therefore I would want to play each match at the course where the draw was made

Tell him you will decide after the match.

In your situation, I'd play one weekend match!

I would play twice, especially giving up 7 strokes. With his limited play this year, this puts you in a favorable position. If your swing is off, or he catches fire, playing the double could be trouble.

Back