Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
Man, there is nothing more fun in golf that playing a well contested match play round. There is a so much more mental and physical ebb and flow compared to stroke play. I played a match today against Shrek. We have similar 'caps, with me getting one stroke. Last year I ran off three birdies in a row to beat him. Today we both played great. I had him down three after 14 holes. We shotgun started in our men's club on the 15th, and after the front nine (14 holes) I had what I thought was a comfortable lead. I shot a 2 under 33 on the front, he shot a one over 36. I lost the 10th with a bogey, then he ran off four straight birdies to beat me 1 up. We traded body blows all day. At the end we had 12 birdies between us. I had 5. He had 7. I shot 71, he shot 70. And there were no conceded putts as we were simultaneously playing in our men's club event which requires putting out.

Anyway, how often do you play true match play? It is so exciting to set up to a shot either knowing what kind of shot you need to hit to match your opponent, or to try and hit a shot that will put him/her/it on the spot to answer one of yours.

We had such a blast. When we got in, everyone was talking about the match and congratulating us. It's the heart of match play season at our club, with singles, partners, and couples matches all going on throughout the membership. Lots of how did you do, or who are you playing today comments going on.

If you don't do it often, or never have, the next time you're out playing with a buddy or buddyette, compare your 'caps, see who gets what shots where, and play some match play. Follow the rules of honor, make sure the person away hits first, etc., and you'll see the different mind set it requires from stroke play.

Match play. You won't regret it.

Kevin

i love match play. every round i play regardless of if its with my brother(who i love playing a match with) or my buddies, we always have some sort of match. its usually for drinks or who pays for nachos or a tag on the bag thats a little inappropriate but shameful haha. its so much fun and i usually play my best in matches because ei want to beat them and it brings out my competitive side

I recently joined a 9 hole match play league here. 8 weeks in, I am 4-4. Agreed, match play is so much fun to play, pressure wise and shotmaking wise...

Thats some great playing there Esox, win or lose!

Thats some great playing there Esox, win or lose!

It was so much fun after several rounds of really struggling. My lowest round in four years at even par. In match play you can just feed off each other. I watched it last week in my daughter's matches. The girls just played above their heads because of the format. The more you play match play, the more I think you learn to execute under pressure. It's great for building mental toughness.

Kevin

I really want to find an affordable league around me that plays this format. Nice playing cheesefart!

Outstanding playing Kevin! Sounds like you almost had him down and out but he made a hell of a comeback.

I have 2 9 hole match play matches tomorrow as part of our Ryder Cup MGA event. I am a 10 playing a 4 and a 7 so will get a few strokes each side. Looking forward to it - man to man battle, I love it!

I really want to find an affordable league around me that plays this format. Nice playing cheesefart!

You don't need a league. Just do it with your playing partner. Just do it. Chicken wing the crap out of someone.

Kevin

Great round esox. From your writing it sounded like a true boxing match with two winners.

Match play is one of my favorite formats. I seem to do really well in it as I tend to have a couple big blow up holes in a round that hurt me badly in stroke play, but only cost me a couple of holes. I then can really do well on a lot of other holes.

Match play is one of my favorite formats. I seem to do really well in it as I tend to have a couple big blow up holes in a round that hurt me badly in stroke play, but only cost me a couple of holes. I then can really do well on a lot of other holes.

And that's a mental benefit of match play. It makes it much easier to put a bad swing or bad hole behind you.

Kevin

Most times when Dean and I play we do some sort of match play. Last night was the best I had ever done against him. I lost 1 down. We only played 9 and we went into the last hole A/S. So close!!! Damn 3 putt on the last hole.

Most times when Dean and I play we do some sort of match play. Last night was the best I had ever done against him. I lost 1 down. We only played 9 and we went into the last hole A/S. So close!!! Damn 3 putt on the last hole.

I suppose he doesn't give you strokes.

Kevin

Kevin

Never. So that made all the more better!! So close. He's in trouble when I start taking lessons after the Morgan Cup!

I just played my first match play round last week it was so much fun. Feels like a totally different game than stroke play.

Man, you and Shrek go at it. But in a good way. Good shootin' old man! As you know, my brother and I play match play every time we tee it up. It is fun. Congrats on the good ball striking day!

I personally love match play, it brings out the precision, clutchness, and the occasional ruthlessness that is required in me. I love it so much that even though I used to play stroke play matches for my old high school team, I thought of it as match play because it made me play that much better. (Example of how I think during a stroke play match: he gets a 6, I get a 5, I'm one up through one.)

Esox I love match play. I think it's much more fun and interesting than stroke play. Anything can really happen and you can see some real wild swings.

Kevin

Why would I? Hehe

I play in a match play league, and it is a LOT of FUN! It really gets the competitive juices flowing. I played in a hardball baseball league for 20 years, and when I stopped playing I did not have an outlet for my competitive side. But I got in to this league a couple of years ago and it is awesome.

I think mid to high handicappers should engage in match play almost exclusively. It is how the Scottish originally played. It takes a lot of pressure off of your disaster holes, since you only lose the one hole even if you never get the ball in the cup.

I rarely play a straight up match against my golfing buddies, though. We are always playing some type of skins game or pseudo-match format where we switch partners around...anything to keep it interesting and let the higher handicappers have a chance to win big. I love just going head-to-head with one opponent in match play, though.

I don't know how most match play points work, but our league is 2 pts. a hole, if you tie its 1 pt. each. 4 pts. for lowest score with handicap. And you get an extra point if you shoot par or better with your handicap. 23 possible points. I am currently in second place out of 16

Last edited:
I effing love match play. My favorite golfing buddy is pretty much evenly matched with me. He is a better ball striker and can outdrive me by like 50 yards, but my short game is superior. We've played a 9 hole matchplay twice in the past week or so, and we've gone to the 9th hole both times. He beat me 1 up the first time and I won 2 up today. I love playing with him.

Yesterday a friend and I played a version of match play where every stroke you lose by on a hole the winner of the hole can take a club from your bag or take one of theirs back. We did this for only four holes. He beat me claiming my 7-iron at the end because of a bladed shot out of a bunker by me. He knocked his approach to 3 feet on the 2nd to last hole and missed the EASY birdie putt. I couldn't deliver on the very tough 9th hole. Note: The putter was exempt from being stolen. Yes, i got my 7-iron back after the round.

We plan to play this for a full round in the near future. I also want to play sometime where we play until someone has only their putter left regardless of how many holes it takes.

That's called battle golf Jack. At least that's what I've always called it. That's a ton of fun.

Back