Match up ones gap wedge to the irons or the wedges?

I use my gap wedge exclusively for full shots making my 921 Tour set wedge the logical choice. It provides a consistent look/feel with the rest of my iron set and a little bit of help when I need it.

However, if I played fast face irons I would carry the set gap wedge AND a specialty gap wedge in order to hit all required distances. I had this setup with my Apex 19's where I carried both the set GW and a 52 RTX-4 gap wedge.

47* AW from my iron set and a 50* Jaws MD5. They overlap but I have specialty shots they each excel at, so I use both regularly. They have different shafts and grinds which makes me more versatile from 110 in. :sneaky:

Others have said it, but whatever works best for you - there's no one "right" answer. My PW and AW are from the set, then my SW and LW are different. I do have a gap between my AW and SW (47° to 54°), but it works for me. The AW is good for about 115 yds on a full swing, the SW is about 100, but I'm very comfortable with taking a little off the AW to cover an in-between distance if I need to. The set AW also has less bounce than the specialty wedges, so I use it for hardpack lies because it will dig a little better when I need that.

So I have a 50 degree gap wedge that is part of my Epon iron set. I carry 54 and 58 degree Cleveland RX4 wedges a well. I also have a 50 degree RX4. I keep on going back and forth of which gap wedge to put in the bag. Match up the irons or match up the wedges? First world problems.

Play rounds of golf with both the set wedge and the Cleveland 50*. The answer will come to you.

Back