Matched set? Do you trust the launch monitor?

wadesworld

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
When you're buying new clubs, do you like to buy the matched set? Or are you willing to sub in any woods that perform better? What's better? 5 yards? 10 yards?

Additionally, how much confidence do you have leaving the store? Yeah, the TM driver you hit for 10 swings showed the best numbers, but does that mean the Ping driver was really wrong for you? If you gave it more time or a small adjustment, might you end up preferring the Ping to the TM?

Just curious as to how others make these decisions if you're not buying custom clubs made by a club fitter.

Personally, I'm more a matched set guy. Perhaps I'm OCD.

When you're buying new clubs, do you like to buy the matched set? Or are you willing to sub in any woods that perform better? What's better? 5 yards? 10 yards?

Additionally, how much confidence do you have leaving the store? Yeah, the TM driver you hit for 10 swings showed the best numbers, but does that mean the Ping driver was really wrong for you? If you gave it more time or a small adjustment, might you end up preferring the Ping to the TM?

Just curious as to how others make these decisions if you're not buying custom clubs made by a club fitter.

I generally like to match my clubs. I played a 3w, 5w, 4hy from the same series and shaft for a long time. Right now my driver, and 4 wood play very similar. My hybrid I won from THP. My irons and wedges feel very similar, but I'd love to try some forged mizuno blades and see how much closer it could be.

Each category for me is matched on best consistent performance. So my driver is brand X. Hybrids from brand y match Orion's are the same and wedges from brand z match.

I'm not particular on matching, I want what I hit the best and fills the gaps the best.

I play two different wedges a sm6 and a Hopkins currently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play what works best for me in each slot, so typically not ever a matched set, though, it has happened.

As for the monitor, I take a comparison club with me when I go to shop to be on a monitor, that way, it all balances out by having a reference point and not just a nuked monitor setting.

I think it would take some real spectacular R and D for all the clubs in a matched set to perform best for me. And since I don't have any brand loyalties, I find it a lot more fun poking around the various brands. They have to pass only one criterion: Be better than the club presently in my bag, and that ain't easy.

I've never matched and normally have at least 5 or 6 manufactures represented in my bag. I've also never been through a fitting at a store that I've trusted. I have to hit balls outside to really see what's going on before I trust the launch monitors.

I've never matched and normally have at least 5 or 6 manufactures represented in my bag. I've also never been through a fitting at a store that I've trusted. I have to hit balls outside to really see what's going on before I trust the launch monitors.

DITTO. Hitting a ball into a net and seeing a screen just doesn't translate to my senses.

DITTO. Hitting a ball into a net and seeing a screen just doesn't translate to my senses.

Same here. I only trust numbers gathered at outside tests versus known control clubs. I have to see the whole ball flight to really know. Mixed sets are fine.

Last edited:

I don't have any issues mix up clubs. It's what I like and what works for me. Better isn't always more distance for me. If I hit a club 10yds further but my dispersion is worse I probably am going to pass. IMO better is a personal decision

Back