Matte Golf Balls?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you use a matte finish golf ball? What brand and what are your thoughts?

I've tried several, trying to find something I can see better. Ends up I can see white as good as anything else, so staying with my regular ball, the Srixon Q-Star Tour.

Only play Matte balls now.
Mainly Callaway's SuperSoft or SuperHot Bold.
Big fan of the Matte Red.

Never tried a matte finish golf ball. What are the benefits of this type of finish? Less glare?

• Admin
I've hit a few here and there, mostly the red ones because I found them on the course. On a sunny day the red ones almost glow in the sky but I find them harder to see when searching for the ball. Overall not a fan

I've used several. Supersoft and Duo mostly, and between those two, would probably go with the Duo.

I like the visibility in the fall when leaves are falling. Otherwise that is the only time they are used.

The Volvik Vivid Red and I got along quite well and would game it confidently, however I play the Titleist Tour Speed. The green spin is just no comparison between the two and I need all the help I can get.

I'm a fan of the Callaway Superhot Bold. There's something about the contrast with the grass and sky that is pretty cool.

Big fan of the matte red Supersofts! I actually find them easier to follow and find.

Jen tried a few different colours when she first started and there are a few that are more visible at times, but not to the point that I would play them as I hit a few shots with them at times and just didn't like the feel

(Volvik Vivid, Callaway Superhot and think there was another but I can't remember what it was)

I played matte golf balls all of 2019. I love them. Color and personality. I didn't in 2020 because of the triple track. I played the Callaway Supersofts last year. Loved that golf ball.

I play the Callaway Superhot Bold in yellow. I love the way the ball plays, but the sound off the club and putter took some getting used to.

Interesting topic as I have a dozen Matte Yellow Bridgestone E12 that I'm going to break out starting with my next round. I had wanted to try the E12 and I'm partial towards the yellow, but I would game any color. I looking for visibility and performance, especially since were approaching the season of falling leaves here in the Northeast.

I like the matte red color a lot, but just haven’t found a ball that I love in that color. E12 soft was as close as I have got to a ball that I like in that color

I actually played with a Vice Pro Soft ball this past week and liked it a lot.

I had put them aside because I did not like the way they reacted off the putter, but they agreed with my triple track putter.

Overall, good ball.

I can't stand matte balls, it hurts my eyes looking at them. I play yellow which is just perfect for my eyes, matte is a no go.

I don’t play them at all but I have a friend who loves them. Different strokes.

I love matte golf balls but Snell doesn't make any so I don't play them (yeah I'm a brand *****)

I like the looks of them but do not play them. Have not found a ball I like with that finish.

I do not like matte balls. They wear more quickly, they perform worse (in my opinion). I have found they roll funny on the greens. Almost like they are Velcro. I understand they are very trendy right now. But I wish they would go away... haha.

That being said, I know some major brands are bringing out some matte balls in the same category as your budget urethane ball category.

I use the superhot bold in red occasionally. Not a bad ball at all.

I really like the look of the red ones. I wish they made a urethane tour level ball in that color. I will say I haven't ever used the color on the course, but seems like you'd see it better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back