I prefer a glossy over matte, it looks perhaps higher quality/more refined, and sometimes its seems like matte finishes mark up more easily. Not a huge dealbreaker though, I don't mind matte, some are pretty good.

I much prefer the matte look, went from Ping G400 MAX in matte to Cobra XB Peacoat matte.

Definitely prefer a matte finish

I'm fully in the matte camp. There's something about it that is less distracting and just looks so much better to me.

I prefer matte, just looks simpler and easier on the eyes. There are skme really sexy glossy crowns though

I prefer the look of matte but it has to be durable and not prone to marking. I feel like Ping does a good job with this. Last year I had the matte SZ Xtreme driver and while the finish itself was durable I found that if you so much as ran your finger across the crown it left a white residue which bugged me at address as my eye was always drawn to it.
Then again that could have been my ashy hands. lol

I’d prefer matte. But if a glossy driver worked great I’d play that

Both are good but I like the look of the glossy just a bit better. It would not impact my choice when buying a new club.

Definitely prefer matte, though my current driver is glossy. Performance first.

No preference to me, I have played both matte and glossy finishes without and issue and current bag setup has both (glossy driver, matte FW woods)

I lean towards glossy, but I have seen some matte black that I really liked as well. I could play either.

Doesn't matter to me on the course. I've had both but the indoor sim I play at in the winter has a hard time picking up a matte finish.
Interesting. Is that a common problem for people? What type of sim is it?

The matte pea coat on my RADSPEED is among the prettiest drivers I’ve ever looked down at! That being said I don’t mind glossy either

Both can be done well, and both can be done poorly.

If both are well done slightly prefer matte.

Matte. I don't like the sun reflection off the glossy.

On a recent Off Course podcast with @Canadan talking to Tour Edge, the conversation about driver crowns came up. Matte vs glossy. I have always been a glossy person, but some matte (not black) looks pretty good. Do you have a preference?
It depends for me. I really like the glossy top of the Epic Speed with the green flake but if it is a carbon fiber top i really like matte finish.

Last edited:
Both can be done well, and both can be done poorly.

If both are well done slightly prefer matte.
Pretty much spot on for me too, with a heaver lean towards matte.

I've always been glossy kind just because I think it wears better. I'm looking forward to trying matte this year

Overall, I prefer glossy. In the bright sun though, matte doesn't seem like a horrible afterthought though. That little ball of fire right in your eyes can be brutal haha

I prefer a glossy look. Can't say that I have had a matte driver yet.

Matte goes farther but I prefer glossy.

High gloss

I don't have a preference. I think they both can and do look good on different clubs. The shape and how it looks at address are more important to me than the matte or gloss finish.

Back