Matte vs Glossy Crown?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Which team are you on and why?

Untitled-7.jpg

I've played both and it's not a factor in my buying decision -- bright and shiny does not bother me in the least. I like gloss. But if it's matte, make it black.

My son's friend is playing his old R1, which was my son's R1, which was originally my R1 - NASCAR R1 - matte white with decals, and I saw it last month and said, "How could I have bought into that?"

Last edited:
They both look good. The only crown preference I have is not white.

I like the look of matte better. Could play either without issue, but maybe I prefer matte because this is so cool:

To take photos of....matte
To play...glossy

but honestly there have been some really good matte finishes that I have enjoyed looking down at.

Matte. The contrast between the ball and ground is just sharp and focused.

Gloss looks nice but can be a bit distracting.

but I dont choose a driver in that way and can game either one.

I probably prefer glossy by a slight margin, but it's not really a significant factor in my bag decisions. Currently have both finishes in my bag, although slightly more matte.

To take photos of....matte
To play...glossy

but honestly there have been some really good matte finishes that I have enjoyed looking down at.
haha anything Matte and clean is about as good as it gets for photos.

Matte was preferred but it seems harder to take care of. The clean gloss look has grown on me tremendously

Give me matte on every wood!

Team glossy. Easier to take care of, harder to see imperfections in.

Were it not for those two things, I'd probably lean matte.
That is true. Easier to buff out skymarks

I currently have both. I prefer matte. Simply for glare. Usually not an issue blunt nice to not have to worry about it .

I have a 4w and a hybrid with matte finish and I like that better.

Matte. I think it looks cooler than gloss

In that picture the glossy one looks better. I think I prefer glossy at the moment for some reason.

Either one. Most of my clubs are black matte and they look great, but glossy is fine too.

Matte all day. Fairly simple reason - less glare and distraction.

Glossy, just looks better to me. I have played matte and they are okay.

Prefer matte but play glossy driver and 3 wood. 5 wood is matte.

Team glossy. Easier to take care of, harder to see imperfections in.

Were it not for those two things, I'd probably lean matte.
Yes, that. Not sure I’d ever allow finish to be my decision maker. But i think i prefer glossy, and black.

Love the look of matte crowns but usually end up in glossy heads for some reason.

Used to be matte but found the glossy allows me to check my alignment

Back