Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Heading to Maui next month. Staying in Lahaina. Considering taking my clubs and trying to get in a round or two. Not looking to spend huge money. Can I find rounds for around $100? Golfnow shows some, but I can’t book that far out yet.

What about my clubs? Check em with a travel bag? What happens if they get lost? I’m out $2500? Or can I insure them separately? Or use a service like ship sticks? Flight is direct, which lessens worries about connecting flights and lost baggage.

Old lady isn’t going to let me be gone all day, and I’m only there for 5 days, so I’d be looking for the earliest rounds I could find so I could be golfing while the wife and kid are asleep.

Any suggestions?

Ship sticks is out. 160 each way. Outta my budget. Any tips for checking my clubs? And suggestions on a travel bag?

Unless you’re a frequent flyer and have status for travelling from Canada it’s $75 CAD per bag each way so not cheap. Honestly if I was only going to play, I would find a club that rents good quality clubs and reserve them otherwise you’re going to have a a big expense with buying a travel bag and paying the fees.

If you know someone who has a travel bag and will lend it to you that would save you a lot of money, I did that once though I never got the bag back but didn’t realize it for 5+ years and I couldn’t remember who borrowed it because I lent it to a lot of people.

I played in Maui about five years ago, five times. I bought a package at three Premier courses and bought the other two rounds just off an app or directly from the course. Golf certainly is fun and nice but certainly isn’t cheap in Maui. If I remember as well the rounds were not short they were 4 1/2 to 5 hours each plus travel.

We stayed at Napilli , about /10 minutes drive away from Kapalua , that’s expensive but I hired clubs there and they were Titleist AP2 set brand new at the time . Depends what your wanting , for the experience l loved Kapalua , but sure there’s cheaper options too .

I’ll have to look into club rental. But being a lefty makes it difficult to find decent clubs to rent.

I'm going to Kauai at the end of October with @Wildcat4life. When are you going?

Golf is not cheap in Maui unless you are a resident. Closest courses to Lahaina are the Kaanapali courses, which are nice but not spectacular. Kapalua Plantation is awesome but pricey. If cost is a strong factor, late afternoon (after 2:30 pm) is best. You can also play much quicker then. The Wailea courses are nice but almost an hour drive from Lahaina.

Last edited:
Heading to Maui next month. Staying in Lahaina. Considering taking my clubs and trying to get in a round or two. Not looking to spend huge money. Can I find rounds for around $100? Golfnow shows some, but I can’t book that far out yet.

What about my clubs? Check em with a travel bag? What happens if they get lost? I’m out $2500? Or can I insure them separately? Or use a service like ship sticks? Flight is direct, which lessens worries about connecting flights and lost baggage.

Old lady isn’t going to let me be gone all day, and I’m only there for 5 days, so I’d be looking for the earliest rounds I could find so I could be golfing while the wife and kid are asleep.

Any suggestions?
Dunes at Maui Lani may be the only track you can get on for <$100. You might call King Kamehameha and see if they will allow you to play - when they were allowing a limited number of public spots it was only about $75.

If you decide to splurge, go to either Wailea, or Kapalua, but skip over either of the Kaanapali courses - they are not worth the scratch. Wailea is the best bang for your buck, as they have a solid replay rate that can be used on either the gold or the emerald course.

Unless it’s a golf vacation it’s not cost worthy to bring clubs along, look for quality club rentals if they are available and cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless it’s a golf vacation it’s not cost worthy to bring clubs along, look for quality club rentals if they are available and cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How do you figure? Most courses in Hawaii run $75-175 per round for rental clubs. Traveling with your own clubs is far less (even factoring in the cost of a travel bag)

How do you figure? Most courses in Hawaii run $75-175 per round for rental clubs. Traveling with your own clubs is far less (even factoring in the cost of a travel bag)
Fly southwest and your clubs go for free.

Wailea Gold is a good track.

If I went anywhere at this point with the intent of playing golf. I am paying the 30 bucks or whatever it is to bring my sticks. I think it is worth it.

I played Waiehu about 20 years ago. It’s a Muni course not far from Kahului. My dim memory is that some of the holes were right along the water, and there were some nice views. The rental clubs were crap, but the green fees were very reasonable. Maybe someone who’s been there more recently can chime in.

As a lefty, I always take my sticks, much to the wife's annoyance.

Wailea Emerald was a nice, relaxing course.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1631980525116.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631980525116.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 11
Played Wailea Emerald about 5 years ago as part of a package including Kapalua. I recall Emerald was $225 or $250 as part of package. Please note I was in Maui in February which was peak season. Not cheap but beautiful course.

Thanks for the replies. If this was a golf trip I’d be all in, but it’s a family vacation so doesn’t look like the misses is too keen on me spending the time and money to make a round happen. I might look for rental clubs and try to get out once I’m there.

Big shout out to @mikeg_74 for the generous offer- but doesn’t feel right taking you up on it if it’s not a sure thing. The power of THP is real, Brehs- LOVE this site. Thanks again everyone!

@Space Bandito how was the Hawaii trip? The missus and I are going back to Maui with her parents in March to celebrate her mom's birthday. We played Wailea Gold and the Plantation Course along with Maui Nui a couple of years ago. We are going to try the Emerald in addition to Gold this year and are thinking of the Bay and Plantation at Kapalua. Already have a tee time at Manele from an auction we won last year.

Anyone have experience with Troon cards? It is $189 for the Hawaii Troon Card, which gets you discounted rates at Kapalua and Ka'anapali and supposedly $25 replay rates and other discounts. Although Ka'anapali was not originally part of the plan, we are visiting her uncle at Ka'anapali for a day or two and if we got the card would probably play there one morning. I saw the Kamehameha is welcoming guests back now, so I wonder if the Troon card would have anything there as well.

@Space Bandito how was the Hawaii trip? The missus and I are going back to Maui with her parents in March to celebrate her mom's birthday. We played Wailea Gold and the Plantation Course along with Maui Nui a couple of years ago. We are going to try the Emerald in addition to Gold this year and are thinking of the Bay and Plantation at Kapalua. Already have a tee time at Manele from an auction we won last year.

Anyone have experience with Troon cards? It is $189 for the Hawaii Troon Card, which gets you discounted rates at Kapalua and Ka'anapali and supposedly $25 replay rates and other discounts. Although Ka'anapali was not originally part of the plan, we are visiting her uncle at Ka'anapali for a day or two and if we got the card would probably play there one morning. I saw the Kamehameha is welcoming guests back now, so I wonder if the Troon card would have anything there as well.

As of now, Troon Card is only good a Ka'anapali (online) and Kapalua (have to call) unfortunately. KK has not come back yet. But I think you can get on with Visa Infinite if you have it.

Back