Maybe there is hope for me with the fairway woods.

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
Lately I have been forcing myself to use my fairway woods more and more. I go by the theory that if you don't use them, you will never get better at them.

In the last few rounds I have pulled them out of the bag more and more and yesterday, I hit a number of fairway woods off the deck the best ever with only 1 or 2 bad strikes and one was a small fade to the right. I was very happy with the woods yesterday. Two of them were the second shot onto the green which was super exciting. One was long and slightly over the green, but chippable.

I am taking my own medicine here, because I am always telling my golfing buddies, in order to learn the club, you got to play it and with that it means I cannot leave them in the bag because I am concerned I will make a bad shot just to keep my score as low as possible. Making bad shots, not simply a mishit, should teach us and be our training tool on how to make a good shot.

Do you leave your fairway woods in the bag, or do you take the risk and use them?

I use mine all the time. A little range time will help you find the right swing to give you confidence to use them on the course.

Lately I have been forcing myself to use my fairway woods more and more. I go by the theory that if you don't use them, you will never get better at them.

In the last few rounds I have pulled them out of the bag more and more and yesterday, I hit a number of fairway woods off the deck the best ever with only 1 or 2 bad strikes and one was a small fade to the right. I was very happy with the woods yesterday. Two of them were the second shot onto the green which was super exciting. One was long and slightly over the green, but chippable.

I am taking my own medicine here, because I am always telling my golfing buddies, in order to learn the club, you got to play it and with that it means I cannot leave them in the bag because I am concerned I will make a bad shot just to keep my score as low as possible. Making bad shots, not simply a mishit, should teach us and be our training tool on how to make a good shot.

Do you leave your fairway woods in the bag, or do you take the risk and use them?

This is so true and I relate to it big time. I hit my 3 hybrid solid for a long time and it was a great club for me. I then went through a rough patch where I didn't even want to look at the thing. I would leave it in the bag at times where I really needed it.. Shots that were just a touch longer than my 4 Iron I would still leave the 3 Hybrid in the bag. This is a great point, and I will never get the feel back if I don't use it out on the course. I think I will spend a range session hitting it, and then just buckle down and start striking it in live play.

Love to hear your gaining confidence with them @Luchnia - if you’re not failing with them you’re not trying and you’ll never learn how to use them.

For me it’s being confident I’ll make solid contact and not getting in my head about a club I don’t use “as often”.

I use mine all the time, love my fairway woods. Nothing to be scared of really, best to just practice as much as you can with them.

Love my 3w. It gets more tee time than any other club in my bag really.

I rely heavily on my 5W and Heavenwood but never had any luck with a 3W. Took it out of my bag and lived without it for about 2 years. Last week I picked up a 3W at a Callaway Pre-owned sale. Went to the range yesterday to see if I could hit it. It might be all the practice I've been doing lately, but I actually got a some good shots. Just need to keep at it.

I used to use them a lot. I hit 3W off the tee a lot because driver was so wild. I was also on the shorter side with my driver and needed the distance off the deck. That was then and this is now. I rarely pull a fairway wood out the bag. My drives are long enough I don’t really find myself in a position to use one often. I also have become much more accurate with my driver that I feel no need to hit a 3W off the tee. I am however needing something between 3W and 4I. Currently, there is a 4H in the bag which will come out. I am really considering a 5W. I still won’t use it a lot but there are some shorter holes it would come in handy off the tee and some par 5s I find myself sitting between a 3W and my next club to reach in 2.

Absolutely love my fairways and hybrids. Previously was indifferent about them, but the Mavrik line has changed that.

I have a love hate relationship with my fairways. My current 5 wood is a super star from the first time I used it. Where my 3 wood has always been a bit of a struggle.

I did dial up the loft on my 3 wood and that seems to help me out a bit. Has only been about 3 rounds since I did that.

Currently my 3 Wood is in the "leave it in the bag" category, and honestly it's been that way for the last two golf seasons. i joke frequently that the only reason I carry it is because I like the head cover.

Traditionally I've been good with the 3 wood, even not being afraid to hit if off the tee in lieu of driver. Those days, however are in the rearview mirror. I've been through 3 different models since the shaft broke on my RBZ and I just can't seem to hit any of them. Full disclosure - I don't take it to the range to work on it. I'll reluctantly pull it on a par five for my second shot which I usually pump out of bounds or bunt 40 yards down the fairway, so I can't blame the club itself - I still have to move it in the correct path.

Interestingly despite the fact that at one point my 3W was my favourite club I have never, ever, been able to hit a 5W.

I rely heavily on my metal woods when playing. Off the deck, or tee'd up, they get used alot.

My driver gets normal tee'd up use. Maybe 8-9 times a round. I also have situations where it becomes a useful fairway club. Not very often, but I do practice hitting balls off the turf with it just to be ready.

My 3W is just another driver for me, but it also gets plenty of use off the fairway turf. It's my second, most used metal wood.

My 5W is more of a "do I use it, or not" type of club. It's the least used of fairway woods. That said, I would miss it if it was not in my bag.

Now my 7W is my "go to" in a lot of situations. It's one of my stroke savers. It ranks right up there with my putter as a most used club. I even have a duplicate, unused one waiting in the wings should my current one ever fail. I think more golfers should give a 7W an honest tryout. They'd be pleasantly surprised I think.

I started playing golf before "hybrids" became a hot item. I never bought into the advertisment that they were easier to hit than fairway metals. Over the years I have given hybrids their chances. They just never made the cut to be in my bag.

When I was younger I used my 3w all the time, now as I've gotten older I have a harder time getting the ball air born with a 3w. I've got a Cleveland Launcher Halo #2 hybrid I use in it's place now. It's easier getting the ball in the air nowadays.

I love my heavenwood. Any other wood just isn’t reliable enough for me to even think about putting in the bag.

Really going to put some time in with my fairway woods and hybrid this spring. Once things open up my first lessons are going to be focused on them.

I use to hit them all the time but a few years ago something changed and I just could not hit them at all. Topping them, digging in....it was crazy. I lost total confidence in them. Last year I forced myself to hit them, trying to get out of the funk. Started at the range and then took it to the course. Still a work in progress but they are slowly coming back to me

Back