Review McLovin's Club Champion Experience - $100 Promotion Full Bag Fitting

a couple quick follow ups on this.

in hindsight i’m pretty convinced a huge reason i enjoyed the fitting so much is because the fitter i drew was a great match for me. since then we’ve texted a fair bit, and he friended me on grint (dude is a +4.9…). that definitely enhanced my experience.

i decided to pull the trigger on some of the items on the end build sheet. the order was delivered 7 days later, and will be built today, 8 days post fitting. that is impressive turnaround.

Great read thanks for sharing. I agree it is disappointing that they only have 3h and 3w. When I got my 9w at Cool Clubs I was talking with the fitter about filling a gap in my bag and we started looking for options. We looked at 4 hybrids, 7 woods with loft added and wound up with a 9w with the loft reduced. That has become one of the best clubs in my bag. I never would have gotten to that point at a Club Champion. My only issue with Cool Clubs is they don't have all the manufacturers. I know for a fact they don't have Cobra and I don't believe they have TE. They do have most of the rest of the major ones.

fitting round 2 yesterday. this was more about peace of mind in wanting to make sure some speed gains haven’t moved me into a different weight, flex or profile. short answer: they haven't(ish).

we did iron shaft, fairway, driver shaft, and uw swingweight. for iron and driver shaft, i wanted a shaft that i could deliver more consistently. for fairway, i've been living on the toe (not the case with any other club) and wondered if a wholesale change was in order.

for iron shaft we tested dart v 105 f4, axiom 105 stiff and extra stiff, dynamic gold 115 mid, accra isteel 115, steelfiber private reserve i110, and la golf a series low 105 stiff. despite trackman confirming i'm swinging 10mph faster with 6i now than this past august, la golf a series low 105 stiff was the clear winner. i picked up swing speed, ball speed, spin, and peak, all with better dispersion. i was shocked how much i disliked axiom. i think we could have made dart v work, but it was not love at first strike.

we did driver shaft next. the goal was consistency, and try as we did, nothing really clicked significantly better than my gamer setup. we tried SO MANY shafts. ventus black, ventus tr blue, oban issawa gold, ust quantum purple, speeder nx green, diamana pd, diamana gt 60x, and maybe more. ventus black gave me the best dispersion, but i lost several mph of club speed and it felt like a lot of work. jake didn't think a purchase was necessary, he thought i was better served working on the swing. if i want to burn $$$, he recommended tr blue 60s or gt 60x.

next was fairway. oh man, we made swings. so. many. swings. for heads we tried tsr2 and 3, srixon mk ii, stealth2+, and paradym standard. we may have also tried cobra, i don't recall for sure. for shafts we tried tr blue, tr red, pd, gt, speeder green, la golf, issawa gold, va slay, and maybe others. it was a real struggle. by the end we found a combo that was significantly better than anything else: my gamer, with adapter modified upright to raise the toe. it was the only combo i could turn over. saved me some $$$.

then the uw swingweight. not a big story here, we dropped back from d7 to d4.5. jake was kind enough to do this while i waited.

another great experience with club champion

Awesome read. So are you ordering something with the LA shafts? I see you have a UW with it but are you going to reshaft your irons?

Awesome read. So are you ordering something with the LA shafts? I see you have a UW with it but are you going to reshaft your irons?

i did. hopefully they’ll be here soon. i played today and confirmed just how stinking good the iron heads are, so nothing will change there. i know the la golf shafts will be perfect in the heads. now to buy some sweet ferrules!

i did. hopefully they’ll be here soon. i played today and confirmed just how stinking good the iron heads are, so nothing will change there. i know the la golf shafts will be perfect in the heads. now to buy some sweet ferrules!

Are you going to give them the ferrules for the build or will you pull them apart and rebuild them.

Are you going to give them the ferrules for the build or will you pull them apart and rebuild them.

i buy and he assembles. i have to give props to jake, he does the cleanest work i’ve ever had. we’re also regripping the entire bag (sans putter), and he’s not charging me labor for that.

jake sent me the trackman numbers. the 225s are not the highest spinning head, but i was also really shallow in my attack all day so i expect spin to go up when i'm off grass. here are some comparative numbers:

Metric (6-iron)UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4LA Golf A Series Low 105 Stiff
Club speed91mph93mph
Ball speed127mph131mph
Smash factor1.391.41
Launch angle15.8*16.5*
Spin4,443rpm4,538rpm
Carry190 yards198 yards
Land angle44.6*46.0*

jake sent me the trackman numbers. the 225s are not the highest spinning head, but i was also really shallow in my attack all day so i expect spin to go up when i'm off grass. here are some comparative numbers:

Metric (6-iron)UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4LA Golf A Series Low 105 Stiff
Club speed91mph93mph
Ball speed127mph131mph
Smash factor1.391.41
Launch angle15.8*16.5*
Spin4,443rpm4,538rpm
Carry190 yards198 yards
Land angle44.6*46.0*

Good improvement in the numbers. 4 mph of ball speed is a lot for a 6i and worth it looks like almost a full club of carry with a steeper descent. It all looks good. If you don't mind my asking how much are the shafts?

Good improvement in the numbers. 4 mph of ball speed is a lot for a 6i and worth it looks like almost a full club of carry with a steeper descent. It all looks good. If you don't mind my asking how much are the shafts?

i only mind you asking if you're sitting next to my wife...

they're not cheap. you can find them on sites like peoples club, fairway jockey, etc. and when you buy from cc there's a built in upcharge for the build. BUT, i separately priced a tear down and rebuild through a recent connection i made. when you factor in grips, ferrules, labor, and buying the shafts, cc actually was only like $150-$200 more. so i purchased from cc because they stand behind their product if something isn't working.

case in point: in my last fitting we landed on d7 swingweight because it was working so well. but on the course it was, well, NOT working. so jake pulled apart my irons, modified swingweight, and put them back together for me. no charge. then he did the same thing with my uw this week. no charge.

Great stuff bro!!

I've only been to Club Champion once for a driver fitting and really enjoyed it until they showed me the price... that markup is wild man

fitting one week ago. shafts and grips arrived today and the build will begin this afternoon. fantastic turnaround time.

Back