McLovin's Journey to Improve

the hard part for me about early extension and going down the youtube rabbit hole is that as easy as the effect is to identify, the cause can be any number of things. ty posted a zoom lesson to his channel this week, working with a really good golfer. one of the feels he gave the guy was for the belt buckle to be pushed away from the ball at impact, and his chest to be a little more down. the goal here was space. the temptation is for me to try that and see if it works, but the cause of that guy's issue could be completely different than the cause of mine!

ty didn't really give me a cause for mine yet; in the feedback video i'll post, he just said to feel like i'm "falling into" the right hip at the top of the backswing. i've sent him a message to see if there's any more specific feel, but haven't heard back yet.

in a previous lesson where the ee reared its head, the feel he gave me was more backswing related. i got into address, and he poked a finger into my right hip flexor. there isn't much space because at address you've obviously bent over at the waist, so there's a bit of a "pinch" of his finger. he said during the backswing, imagine that finger is still there, and i keep pinching it through the backswing. you can't maintain that pinch if you're extending. it helped tremendously, like instant improvement. so i'll try to re-implement that and see if it helps again.
I think your point that the cause can be many things is SO true. I fought this for two years off and on. I think I have finally figured it out for me, but it has been rough. Last night I was on the range for a practice session and my pre-dominant miss was on the toe, which ironically, almost made me happy. At least I could see that I have the EE under control.

Last edited:
feedback video from lesson 8/27/2020

feedback on irons and driver from a range session where i captured a couple swings in the coaching app. apologies for the crappy camerawork haha

iron

driver

I am going to join you in the lesson rabbit hole shortly, I am tired of hearing how OTT I am and how much I am leaving on the table. My backswing is pretty good now and it feels like I am staying inside but I am not and maybe it is not fixable at this point but effort will be made.

What do you use to hold your phone for the videos?

I am going to join you in the lesson rabbit hole shortly, I am tired of hearing how OTT I am and how much I am leaving on the table. My backswing is pretty good now and it feels like I am staying inside but I am not and maybe it is not fixable at this point but effort will be made.

What do you use to hold your phone for the videos?

the app is golf coach app but you can just use your phone’s camera. i do like the app because it captures a lot of frames for super slow mo.

it’s been almost 3 weeks since i even touched a club. stupid work. so i took some time today and went to the range. it sounds like a lot, but i had a few thoughts.

-sit into the right hip at the top of the backswing. also feel the right hip flexor “pinching” during the backswing, like a book closing.

-set the club. almost let it feel like it’s falling into the set position.

-square the face to start the downswing.

-attack from the inside.

-slow it down. smooth tempo.

it does look like a lot, but most of it felt pretty natural. and i hit some seriously high quality shots. ...and some stinkers.

but the driver work was really good. i’m hoping to get back out sunday and practice again, and maybe grab some video to see if i’ve improved the wrist set at all.

i did grab some videos today and i think i made a little progress. lower body still creeping in a bit. but it’s not as bad. i won’t repost the videos from a couple weeks ago.

driver address
10145819-427E-4B44-B47C-631932D9B018.png

driver top of backswing. not too much lower body creep. position at the top looks better to me.

B3851459-0621-4852-AB99-B8E2CB21ACD0.png

impact still creeping too much and as @TrueMotionMatt pointed out i need to get that lead hip out of the way. but it’s a work in progress.
AE393652-9300-4ADE-A5E0-F071058F2948.png

Looking good.

Looks good!

You mentioned your tempo Friday. How are you feeling about that now? I might be wrong, but I feel like in the most recent videos you actually seem a little quicker than you used to be. Not that that's bad. Sometimes it's just a byproduct of swing confidence. Just curious where you're at with that.

Looks good!

You mentioned your tempo Friday. How are you feeling about that now? I might be wrong, but I feel like in the most recent videos you actually seem a little quicker than you used to be. Not that that's bad. Sometimes it's just a byproduct of swing confidence. Just curious where you're at with that.

definitely still too quick. i didn’t capture any swings like this, but i did make some with more of a deliberate takeaway, and the results were really good. gotta keep plugging away.

Chris, the swing is really coming along. Looks good to me as well. The ball flights look strong in the videos

ty and i are getting together tomorrow. my goal is to keep refining the full swing. my 9-hole round sunday was disappointing, but my round today was encouraging. i’m hoping to ride the high from today into yesterday and build on this momentum.

the hard part for me about early extension and going down the youtube rabbit hole is that as easy as the effect is to identify, the cause can be any number of things. ty posted a zoom lesson to his channel this week, working with a really good golfer. one of the feels he gave the guy was for the belt buckle to be pushed away from the ball at impact, and his chest to be a little more down. the goal here was space. the temptation is for me to try that and see if it works, but the cause of that guy's issue could be completely different than the cause of mine!

ty didn't really give me a cause for mine yet; in the feedback video i'll post, he just said to feel like i'm "falling into" the right hip at the top of the backswing. i've sent him a message to see if there's any more specific feel, but haven't heard back yet.

in a previous lesson where the ee reared its head, the feel he gave me was more backswing related. i got into address, and he poked a finger into my right hip flexor. there isn't much space because at address you've obviously bent over at the waist, so there's a bit of a "pinch" of his finger. he said during the backswing, imagine that finger is still there, and i keep pinching it through the backswing. you can't maintain that pinch if you're extending. it helped tremendously, like instant improvement. so i'll try to re-implement that and see if it helps again.
For me the feel is my left knee rotating towards the target. It’s a small short movement but it starts the hips rotation and the rest. This typically starts for me a split second before top of the back swing.

today was pretty bonkers with ty. he wanted to focus on the lower body work, because i'm still losing space in the backswing as my lower body creeps toward the ball. so we played with a couple feelings. the right hip needs to push back and away, while the left hip almost slides off its address position away from the target but only slightly, like the length of one or two golf balls. the right hip moving back and away puts the weight into the trailing heel, so you can pretty much lift your trailing foot toes off the ground at the top of the backswing. then the wrists need to set without tension, and there's a push off the ground with the trailside to start the downswing.

as has happened so many times, these swings, all of which are at what feels like no effort at all, go farther than when i am warming up with high effort swings. the 7i topped out at 87mph today, and the driver at 105mph. those are unheard of numbers for me. ty said if we can get more comfortable with these feels and they become natural, we can push the speed. he wants my 7i to live at 90mph, and we think driver can go to 110mph. that is very unexpected, but also exciting.

something that we both agreed is that my understanding of what we're trying to accomplish is coming along. at times i've felt a little frustrated that the message seemed to change every lesson. but in hindsight, we were just laying the blocks for the foundation, and making the new moves feel more natural.

he sent me some videos, i've requested a few more. when i get them i'll post. it was an awesome lesson.

today was pretty bonkers with ty. he wanted to focus on the lower body work, because i'm still losing space in the backswing as my lower body creeps toward the ball. so we played with a couple feelings. the right hip needs to push back and away, while the left hip almost slides off its address position away from the target but only slightly, like the length of one or two golf balls. the right hip moving back and away puts the weight into the trailing heel, so you can pretty much lift your trailing foot toes off the ground at the top of the backswing.

It's such a hard counter swivel-y movement and feeling to get used to. When I have it going good I can almost draw it in my mind and my body just follows. When I don't, I'm like wtf is going on here? Why is this going this way to begin with? This feels weird and makes no sense. lol

From what you've said prior it sounds like he's been working towards it with that hip 'pinch' you've been focusing on. Tie those two feels together and I'm not surprised you've got some easy gas going with it. Glad to hear it's starting to come together man.

It's such a hard counter swivel-y movement and feeling to get used to. When I have it going good I can almost draw it in my mind and my body just follows. When I don't, I'm like wtf is going on here? Why is this going this way to begin with? This feels weird and makes no sense. lol

From what you've said prior it sounds like he's been working towards it with that hip 'pinch' you've been focusing on. Tie those two feels together and I'm not surprised you've got some easy gas going with it. Glad to hear it coming together man.

some of it is also control. to full load and sway off the ball means i'm, well, not "on" the ball and i feel like i'm not in as much control. same thing with the wrist set, i don't feel like i'm in control of where the club is. but when i get that hip deeper, and i get the club set, the power is absolutely effortless and the sequencing is superb. it's great to know it's in there, i just need to let it happen. and i feel we are REALLY close to ingraining these feels and making a big step in the right direction.

i reached out to tyler to request a driver, iron and wedge swing in full motion from our session. I’m not sure if he saved any of them, but there were a few that we were happy with.

from the driver video above, i still have work to do in pushing the trail hip back and away, and there could be more wrist set. there was little effort in that swing, but trackman registered it at 105. in ty’s estimation in looking back on how the speed increased through the lesson, i picked up 1mph with the right hip push, 1mph with the left side sway, and 2mph with better wrist set. that’s why we think with driver if i can get the right hip a little deeper and wrists a little more set, we can push 110. that would be insane.

The swing is coming along nicely Chris. I've enjoyed following along and seeing these improvements over time. It sounds like you guys have a great target for some big numbers, that should add some serious distance compared to where you started. You and I have pretty similar swings so it's been good to see those changes you guys are implementing.

Back