McLovin's Journey to Improve

Looks like you make a cameo in his new video working on this. Repping the Grandaddy hat!

Love your awareness of the need to soften at the top. Good recognition in the moment. That's something I have to be mindful of myself and noticing the feels and result differences is pretty key. Awesome he's got you in a place where you can sense and make that adjustment on your own.

Looks like you make a cameo in his new video working on this. Repping the Grandaddy hat!

yep i saw that too! love seeing the "g" rep'd in the video!!!

Love your awareness of the need to soften at the top. Good recognition in the moment. That's something I have to be mindful of myself and noticing the feels and result differences is pretty key. Awesome he's got you in a place where you can sense and make that adjustment on your own.

thanks brotha! it was kinda nuts to see me hit a meh shot and say "need to be softer" then hit a great shot with that soft focus, then ty to come over and show me the "meh" shot had about -1 aoa and the great shot have about -5 aoa. just that one little shift in focus had a huge impact on my delivery.

i posted these numbers in the apex 21 iron thread to show how awesome those irons are, but it’s also notable where my swing is right now. these were hit with an 8i, and hit pretty well. i’d like to see my attack more in the 4-5 range, which might increase my spin and peak height. nevertheless these are better numbers than i think i’ve ever seen for me.

3B847069-355B-4EC2-BC0A-2D3C46EEE506.png
C414F94E-C4B4-433D-8E54-C0C719BA213C.png

video from tyler recapping the short game pitch move. the goal is to get the low point at or just in front of the ball. so the little reverse pivot move and keeping my hands in front of me should help with this. ty mentions trackman numbers at the end, but i wasn’t asking for the numbers on these shots, i was asking about the full swing numbers i posted in the previous post.

i’ve practiced this a couple times this week. always with a small tee. 3-5 practice swings, then hit a shot. the practice swings are decent, but when it’s time to hit the ball my biggest issue is the hands moving too far inside. it’s a process, as my full swing is. as golf is, i suppose. but at least i have a decent diagnosis.

been practicing the chip/pitch a little more, and it’s feeling better. i’m starting to feel what it’s like to do it correctly, and what went wrong when i don’t do it correctly.

the image of the head shifting toward the target is very helpful. the much harder part is keeping the hands in front of me and up, instead of low and behind me. low and inside is the death move.

i can’t do it when the ball is on the ground, but on a small tee i’m seeing success in my practice. it’s more about the movement pattern right now, and i’m happy with the progress so far.

i've been playing weekly, but still struggling to put anything decent together, particularly off the tee. that is leading to some terrible scoring. but what is probably more frustrating is that i'll be bummed after the round, go get a large bucket of balls and spend another hour on the range, only to hit really good shot after really good shot. so it's there, i just need to bring it from the range to the course.

the next time ty and i get together will be for another playing lesson. i want to book a two-hour lesson, maybe do some range work first since we almost always see some really great stuff on the range, but then go to the course after to see if any of it translates.

i've been playing weekly, but still struggling to put anything decent together, particularly off the tee. that is leading to some terrible scoring. but what is probably more frustrating is that i'll be bummed after the round, go get a large bucket of balls and spend another hour on the range, only to hit really good shot after really good shot. so it's there, i just need to bring it from the range to the course.

the next time ty and i get together will be for another playing lesson. i want to book a two-hour lesson, maybe do some range work first since we almost always see some really great stuff on the range, but then go to the course after to see if any of it translates.

Good idea - I prefer the two hour lesson over the one hour. Not rushed and I get more out of it.

If it helps, sympa. Crank driver on the range ... and then the first hole happens. It comes and goes. Let's see what the new swing does when I get more comfortable with it. Keep the faith. Drink more wine.

Definitely frustrating. Keep the faith! Hopefully Ty can help with ideas to take those good swings from the range to the course.

i've been trying to work on short game for 15-20 minutes each morning, hit balls once a week, and play one round a week.

tee to green has been pretty darn decent. epic max has completely transformed my tee game, both in results and in enjoyment. short game has had moments of clarity, but MANY more moments of frustration.

today after several days in a row of awfulness i was reminded of what my (short-lived) instructor said in the lessons i took with him leading up to the grandaddy. "maybe you just can't hit this shot." as i was struggling with a basic chip shot (on a F-ING TEE no less) so badly over and over, with no understanding at all, that doubt got louder and louder.

i messaged ty with some videos, and told him i was going to stop practicing until we got together again. like, what's the point? i'm not making progress. it's the same if not worse. it's pissing me off. and it's deepening this doubt that was seeded over a year ago.

ty, in his perfect way, gave me one response "hands out club in" and showed me a picture of a tour pro. i could then scroll up to the pic of me, compare it to what i'm supposed to do, and go from there. funny thing is, i wasn't at all thinking hands out club in. i was just thinking club out, and that was the problem because the hands were going in. i've been working on the opposite of what he told me to lmao. if it wasn't such a busy time at work, ty and i would be getting together more often and my focus would have been clearer.

i appreciate how available he is, despite of how busy he is. i feel at least a bit more energized to work on a more proper and correct move, with a clearer picture and some visuals to boot. back at it tomorrow morning, then a round saturday.

A524698F-A379-4918-8992-6D7FDEC85B48.jpeg

So great to have such a knowledgeable guy be so accessible. Keep working on it!

i've been trying to work on short game for 15-20 minutes each morning, hit balls once a week, and play one round a week.

tee to green has been pretty darn decent. epic max has completely transformed my tee game, both in results and in enjoyment. short game has had moments of clarity, but MANY more moments of frustration.

today after several days in a row of awfulness i was reminded of what my (short-lived) instructor said in the lessons i took with him leading up to the grandaddy. "maybe you just can't hit this shot." as i was struggling with a basic chip shot (on a F-ING TEE no less) so badly over and over, with no understanding at all, that doubt got louder and louder.

i messaged ty with some videos, and told him i was going to stop practicing until we got together again. like, what's the point? i'm not making progress. it's the same if not worse. it's pissing me off. and it's deepening this doubt that was seeded over a year ago.

ty, in his perfect way, gave me one response "hands out club in" and showed me a picture of a tour pro. i could then scroll up to the pic of me, compare it to what i'm supposed to do, and go from there. funny thing is, i wasn't at all thinking hands out club in. i was just thinking club out, and that was the problem because the hands were going in. i've been working on the opposite of what he told me to lmao. if it wasn't such a busy time at work, ty and i would be getting together more often and my focus would have been clearer.

i appreciate how available he is, despite of how busy he is. i feel at least a bit more energized to work on a more proper and correct move, with a clearer picture and some visuals to boot. back at it tomorrow morning, then a round saturday.

View attachment 9002100

I assume ty is asking you to free up the right arm so it it more in front of you (arms out) and to get the right wrist in a better position when club is parallel (bent back with no "lag")

I assume ty is asking you to free up the right arm so it it more in front of you (arms out) and to get the right wrist in a better position when club is parallel (bent back with no "lag")

that seems to make sense, so maybe? lol

old pattern a week ago when i misunderstood what ty was telling me
F7DF008C-6C9A-4274-877C-73002267844D.jpeg

new pattern from this morning, a week later
E39BFEC9-9582-4CCC-B185-D859F313AA41.jpeg

well, the “new” pattern is actually my old pattern from awhile ago. hands still too in. the hands need to be more out. then the club will be more in front of me, and the low point will be in a better spot.

still grinding. video/pics help so much.

i haven't posted in here in awhile. work has been tough, but i've still been able to play once a week. some flashes of good golf, some flashes of the old stuff. short game has produced some good shots on the course, but also plenty of the same not good stuff.

today was a surprisingly good practice session. i've been messing around with one-handed chips and pitches. i find that my right hand is better than the left. i've also had a sneaking suspicion that my left wrist has some arthritis or other injury which is the cause of my wrist-set issue in full swing. it's just interesting that i can make very decent chip and pitch shot swings with just the right hand on the club, but put the left on and it's back to chunks, tops, etc.

so my focus today was on the right hand controlling the entire motion. get the left hand on the club, but then just focus on the right hand. same movement pattern from the last lesson, same thought to keep the handle from pushing down at impact, and keep things a lot smoother. it was a very good session. one of the better things about it was the turf interaction. it was more of that shallow, almost undisturbed interaction with the ground instead of thumping it hard and taking out divots.

my busy season relents in two weeks from today. i think ty and i have a fresh set of 5 lessons to work with. i want a little full swing check-in, but we're going to hit short game HARD. it will be difficult and frustrating, but that's the missing link for me and i have confidence that he is the right guy for the job.

It's so interesting to me to see how different coaches relay messages. Obviously, we all have our own issues and quirks. I have made some huge progress in my past few years of lessons, but obviously most of the improvement relies on trust of the new movements, not going back to the old habits, and being okay with bad scores and lots of bad that can come before the actual improvement happens.

Yesterday after my lesson it hit me like a ton of bricks, how while I've not had a lot of scoring success, I've actually, moved closer and closer to where I want to end up. The path is just full of massive ups and downs... Like the magicial 28 last year and then my ugly 48 on the same 9, a month after that.

Do you find yourself reverting back to the old way you've done things? Or do you find yourself somewhere around the realm of what you're supposed to be working on, just not having the success you'd like to see?

i haven't posted in here in awhile. work has been tough, but i've still been able to play once a week. some flashes of good golf, some flashes of the old stuff. short game has produced some good shots on the course, but also plenty of the same not good stuff.

today was a surprisingly good practice session. i've been messing around with one-handed chips and pitches. i find that my right hand is better than the left. i've also had a sneaking suspicion that my left wrist has some arthritis or other injury which is the cause of my wrist-set issue in full swing. it's just interesting that i can make very decent chip and pitch shot swings with just the right hand on the club, but put the left on and it's back to chunks, tops, etc.

so my focus today was on the right hand controlling the entire motion. get the left hand on the club, but then just focus on the right hand. same movement pattern from the last lesson, same thought to keep the handle from pushing down at impact, and keep things a lot smoother. it was a very good session. one of the better things about it was the turf interaction. it was more of that shallow, almost undisturbed interaction with the ground instead of thumping it hard and taking out divots.

my busy season relents in two weeks from today. i think ty and i have a fresh set of 5 lessons to work with. i want a little full swing check-in, but we're going to hit short game HARD. it will be difficult and frustrating, but that's the missing link for me and i have confidence that he is the right guy for the job.

I hear you. :unsure: I am a lefty who plays righty, and that left hand, I recently discovered, is a b*tch. :oops:Only in the last few months have I put the right hand more into play. Your short game pic is what I've done for years in full and short game. The left wants to dominate. I recently said "enough" and began allowing the right hand to contribute - the left wrist wants to turn the club head inside but my right wrist will neutralize and keep it slightly out front if I have the feel of it dominating more ... silly game.:D

Do you find yourself reverting back to the old way you've done things? Or do you find yourself somewhere around the realm of what you're supposed to be working on, just not having the success you'd like to see?

great question. every now and then i'll go back through this thread, or all of the videos ty and sent me. and it's both funny and maddening how often he has to tell me the same things. so it's a combination of me reverting back to old patterns, and possibly picking up/focusing on the wrong messaging.

great question. every now and then i'll go back through this thread, or all of the videos ty and sent me. and it's both funny and maddening how often he has to tell me the same things. so it's a combination of me reverting back to old patterns, and possibly picking up/focusing on the wrong messaging.
I have to constantly remind my instructor that I need to feel the move and not watch it. He can show me by doing it, but unless I feel it... I won't learn it.

And I'll watch video of what I feel is a crap swing, but I'll see that previous stuff is actually sticking. It's fun to see the work actually coming to fruition, even if scores aren't quite yet.

I'm reverting a lot less these days, even though I often times feel like I'm doing it constantly. All goes back to trusting that we're doing it correctly, or at least on the correct path... Even though the results are not exactly what we want quite yet.

Golf is hard...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I was doing the exact same thing early last year before I got my short game figured out. I was 100% better chipping and pitching with just my right hand. It makes you use your body/chest in the correct way. The best tip I had to get mine fixed was to keep my arms feeling like they were almost locked to my sides, so very connected at all times. I know you are working with someone who is way smarter than I am about golf, but could be something to try.

ty and i are getting together next tuesday for 90 minutes. i hope we have enough time to play a few holes on the short course, then go to the range and get a plan for what to work on this year. it will be a little bit of full swing check-in, but mostly short game.

in the meantime i've been continuing to work hard on the short game. usually 20-30 minutes before work. there has been more and more encouraging stuff, and less of the super frustrating stuff. the movement pattern is feeling a little more natural. i am more comfortable with the hands out and club in with that slight weight shift toward the target, and the focus for the hit is just handle high clubhead low. most of my practice is still with my training wheels i.e. putting the ball on a very small tee so that i can just focus on the movement and less on actual contact. that said, when i'm feeling a little full of myself i'll drop some balls and hit "normal" shots and honestly it's going better and better each time.

maybe, just MAYBE, there is progress to be made this year.

super fun lesson today. heck, they’ve all been fun because ty is the man!

i hit balls for about 20-30 minutes first and it was ok. not great.

we headed to the short course. and for the first shot of the day he picked a hole over water, into a 2-3 club wind, lasered at 92 yards. i pulled 50 but the wind was howling and it didn’t feel like enough so went back for the 10i. hit it great, the pitch mark was less than 6” from the hole and the ball backed up to inside 3”. the closest i’ve ever been to a hole in one.

next hole he picked was also over water. hard wind off the right with a little help. lasered at 134. pulled the same club, aimed at the right edge and hit it great. ball hit the green a bit past pin high maybe 20’ away. almost made the birdie putt.

then we went to the last hole, 300y. hit it high with a gentle draw, dead on line, and finished about 20y short of the green. ty was like “we’re good on full swing, let’s go test the wedges.”

it started out with my normal stuff. low point struggles. inconsistent. some thins some chunks. some ok. he wanted me to really feel like my weight stayed on my lead foot, and not let my left hip pull open. he said the left hip was really opening, but also pulling back, so to compensate i was moving the chest down and left which increased attack and didn’t leave me with a way to hit a decent chip.

it was going ok but still a struggle. so he said he wanted me to stop the club very early basically right at impact. we did this with just the left hand at first. it was hard! but what we started to see was better low point, and minimal attack. just brushing the top of the grass.

as i did it with both hands and hit shots, it was so weird. it felt like i was flipping but the results were unbelievable. all i could keep saying was “huh.” like i don’t believe what’s happening. it was shocking.

i lost it a little at the end, but i have a good understanding. we are getting together again in a little over a week to keep working on this.

super fun lesson today. heck, they’ve all been fun because ty is the man!

i hit balls for about 20-30 minutes first and it was ok. not great.

we headed to the short course. and for the first shot of the day he picked a hole over water, into a 2-3 club wind, lasered at 92 yards. i pulled 50 but the wind was howling and it didn’t feel like enough so went back for the 10i. hit it great, the pitch mark was less than 6” from the hole and the ball backed up to inside 3”. the closest i’ve ever been to a hole in one.

next hole he picked was also over water. hard wind off the right with a little help. lasered at 134. pulled the same club, aimed at the right edge and hit it great. ball hit the green a bit past pin high maybe 20’ away. almost made the birdie putt.

then we went to the last hole, 300y. hit it high with a gentle draw, dead on line, and finished about 20y short of the green. ty was like “we’re good on full swing, let’s go test the wedges.”

it started out with my normal stuff. low point struggles. inconsistent. some thins some chunks. some ok. he wanted me to really feel like my weight stayed on my lead foot, and not let my left hip pull open. he said the left hip was really opening, but also pulling back, so to compensate i was moving the chest down and left which increased attack and didn’t leave me with a way to hit a decent chip.

it was going ok but still a struggle. so he said he wanted me to stop the club very early basically right at impact. we did this with just the left hand at first. it was hard! but what we started to see was better low point, and minimal attack. just brushing the top of the grass.

as i did it with both hands and hit shots, it was so weird. it felt like i was flipping but the results were unbelievable. all i could keep saying was “huh.” like i don’t believe what’s happening. it was shocking.

i lost it a little at the end, but i have a good understanding. we are getting together again in a little over a week to keep working on this.
Sounds like a great lesson Chris!! The short game can give us all fits at times!

Back