McLovin's Journey to Improve

and a bonus pitching wedge swing. it’s better than where we were last year, but i’m still dumping the wrists before the top of the backswing. there’s one last little move where i push my hands up and release the angles. the encouraging thing is we started here, whereas often this is where we may end up during the lesson but start at a worse place in the beginning. so i do think it’s getting better. more work to be done.

View attachment trim.2954EDA3-D79E-4137-ADF1-BDC16EE9E5F7.MOV

Your swing looks really good! Keep up the grind!

and a bonus pitching wedge swing. it’s better than where we were last year, but i’m still dumping the wrists before the top of the backswing. there’s one last little move where i push my hands up and release the angles. the encouraging thing is we started here, whereas often this is where we may end up during the lesson but start at a worse place in the beginning. so i do think it’s getting better. more work to be done.

View attachment 9008514

Now, I'm clearly no teacher, and may only have a third of an idea of what happens during a golf swing, but when I see that move at the top, all I hear is Tadashi talking about how much power is being left on the table. I've heard it enough to be able to hear it my sleep.

Now, I'm clearly no teacher, and may only have a third of an idea of what happens during a golf swing, but when I see that move at the top, all I hear is Tadashi talking about how much power is being left on the table. I've heard it enough to be able to hear it my sleep.

he said the same thing to me haha. just swing it, stop trying to control it. i did that for awhile and hit it pretty far by my standards.

fwiw that pw went just shy of 140 with a strong wind off the right and a little help.

been seeing some REALLY encouraging stuff with the short game work. i don't have it 100%, but it's A LOT better. i played a course this week that has extremely tight areas around the green, with turtleback greens to boot. it's a damn nightmare for me at that place. the rest of my game was just a little off and i missed a ton of greens, and while i didn't get up and down from anywhere i hit some extremely quality chips around the greens from crazy tight lies. i would generally default to putter, but decided to challenge myself and was very pleased with what i saw. my practice is getting better as well. ty and i are getting together tuesday, so we'll see what he says. i need help with full swing too, though.

lesson this past tuesday was ok. my childcare fell through, so i had my kids with me. ty was so sweet to them, but it was obviously distracting, and i didn't have time to warm up first. i'm starting to notice that i NEED to warm up to get the wrists freed up; if i just hop into the lesson and hit my first balls of the day, things are never as good.

so the wrists weren't great, but the hip depth was good. the wrists are improved, but still a struggle. so we revisited a feel from a lesson last year, where my hands stop working up in the back swing around shoulder height, and the weight of the club (with soft wrists) allows for a better set. then we added the feel "wait for the weight" meaning give the backswing just a little bit more time at the top to feel the weight of the club falling behind me before initiating the downswing.

but ty noticed something else, and it's funny because i saw something looked "off" but wasn't able to diagnose it. my hands are working too far behind me. down the line, my hands at the top of the backswing are behind me heels, when the hands should be more inside the trail hip. i'll add a couple pics so it makes a little more sense. so the feel was for the hands to cover the face, which should keep the hands more in front of me at the top of the backswing. this felt a little odd, but it's something we can keep working on.

top of backswing with hands too far behind
437B5EAD-16C2-4B97-802D-997415A40DA8.png

top of backswing feeling like hands are covering my face (more in front of my chest, but not really!)
C07D150C-012C-4489-90B7-268BE32DBB01.png

we got into a nice groove with smooth 7i swings, then switched to driver. i hit two really good shots and he said "we're good, let's go work on chipping."

chipping started out pretty good, but i lost it at the end. not sure if it was being distracted by my kids, or just flat out losing the feel. but there was enough good that we both know we're on the right track, just need to keep grinding.

worked my ass off at the range today. as good as my round was this past week, my range work after it has been atrocious. so i set out to fix that today.

swing was feeling good as i keep trying to get my wrists to soften and set. but i put it on video and was discouraged. not good enough.
View attachment trim.F8899BD5-9ECA-4743-BB26-44F72790DE5A.MOV

so i worked on the biggest exaggeration i could. unfortunately i messed up the recording and it was blurry but i was happy with what i saw here.

View attachment trim.7D3D1F99-6FD1-4EAB-9C9C-C1607CFC30F7.MOV

driver at the end. it was so hot and i was very tired so don’t think i was swinging as fast as i’m capable of. focus was trying to keep the hands a little lower and let the club set. i like the backswing position at the top, but i still dump the angles too much. work to be done, but this was still hit pretty well and went a fair distance.

View attachment trim.889C4775-FE58-47DE-8E3B-C3366D9407CB.MOV

driver at the end. it was so hot and i was very tired so don’t think i was swinging as fast as i’m capable of. focus was trying to keep the hands a little lower and let the club set. i like the backswing position at the top, but i still dump the angles too much. work to be done, but this was still hit pretty well and went a fair distance.

View attachment 9011699
That little hitch on the downswing... Has that always been there?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That little hitch on the downswing... Has that always been there?

yes. it’s a release of the wrist angle to get back to where i’m more comfortable. so basically i’m releasing until i’m in the normal, no-hinge position and then i go. i hate it lol

yes. it’s a release of the wrist angle to get back to where i’m more comfortable. so basically i’m releasing until i’m in the normal, no-hinge position and then i go. i hate it lol
I know the feeling of having those unique things that you hate. Obviously I've got them as well.

Iron swing looks pretty solid. From my lessons the only thing I think I notice is the club head gets a bit behind your hands on the takeaway... But I'm sure if your teacher thought it was an issue he'd have said so.

Keep on swinging!

ty and i are set for another lesson this monday. i've been out of my practice routine a bit with some childcare interruptions, but when i've gotten out i have seen some really good stuff. short game isn't "fixed," but man it is so much better and i almost instantly know what i did wrong. i really thought it would take so much longer to get where i wanted to be, but one breakthrough lightbulb moment and then another lesson a couple weeks later, and we are so much closer than i expected to be.

I thought I went back in time with the thread title :ROFLMAO:

Keep working at it! I have slacked off a bit on my lessons for various life reasons getting in the way. I tried to do one yesterday but my shoulder was giving me such a fit my pro decided to just call it quits as there was some really weird stuff happening. Ortho on Wednesday so hopefully they put the cortisone in it and I can get back to work.

Early partial extension? lol

I thought I went back in time with the thread title :ROFLMAO:

i ain't fixed, and won't be any time soon. guess we should take the " - 2020 edition" out of the title. maybe a mod can make that happen.

lesson today looking at 7i, and chipping.

iron swing was ok. still pushing the hands too high and getting too narrow in the backswing without enough wrist set, but speed was very decent from the get-go where usually i start out pretty inefficient until ty gets me swinging better. 7i started out at 87mph, which is pretty good for me.

we worked on letting the hands work to only about shoulder high in the backswing, and really trying to feel the club fall behind me into more of a set position at the top. also wanted hands pushed a little farther away in the backswing to create some width, all while maintaining depth in the right hip. the downswing was supposed to feel like a smooth, 100y swing with 7i. of course that's no fun so i'm never swinging THAT slowly, but i do try to swing nice and smooth. ty showed me one particularly good swing, and it looks like a super slow, smooth, no effort swing. ...only it was 86mph and 167 carry. the next hurdle will be for me to trust the smoothness, because that's where my power is.

then we moved to the chipping green and things started really well. we were both really encouraged. then we pushed a little harder, moving the hands farther away from my lower body in the backswing (i'm always pulling the hands way inside), and continuing to try to keep the upper and lower body very quiet through impact. my last instructor had me pulling very hard with the left hip in the short game, and undoing that pattern has proven to be difficult. at the end it was good, but a little shaky. it's a process and improvement is absolutely there. just need to keep pushing it because we are really close, and my scores are showing that things are definitely improving.

the next hurdle will be for me to trust the smoothness, because that's where my power is.
We must have the same swing! 😂

Seriously that is what I have to do to hit great shots. Smooth with a good tempo just keeps me better connected and loose. I get more speed and better contact this way. My long irons are so much better then they used to be because I finally got it through my head I don’t have to swing “hard”.

I played with a buddy this morning. My shoulder stiff and sore but whatever. Never pulled driver out the bag all day and instead just went 2U off the tee. Finally got a nice smooth rhythm going on the back 9 and should have been par or better there except a couple mental mistakes. In those 9 holes, I bet I had at least 8 or 9 swings that just had that soft buttery pure struck feeling I am always longing for. All of them perfect little flushed push draws. I usually don’t hit my 5 well but absolutely smoked one on a par 5 that would have missed just off the back had my foot not slipped and slid on my. Longest 5i I ever hit and I knew it as soon as I felt the contact. I knew it would miss a hair right because my foot slid but still lived every second of it. Even when my shoulder is healed and I can swing driver again I may tee off with the 2u more then I already do. I just know I can stand on the tee box and flush one down the fairway. Yep I have a longer approach but generally it is not an uncomfortable distance.

focus on these swings was keeping the hands only about shoulder high in the backswing (which i didn’t), letting the clubhead fall more behind me in the backswing (which i didn’t) and maintain good trail hip depth for spacing (hey, one out of 3 ain’t bad). face on swing is ok, but i really like the down the line. def can improve more, like the club is too inside on the backswing and i still need more lower body rotation through impact, but that’s still one of the better swings we’ve videoed in awhile.

View attachment trim.7A2BBCD9-8124-4026-8755-C024CFF43E4E.MOV

View attachment trim.4A97FD35-22B4-4279-9710-879ACB26A747.MOV

Looking pretty good bro! Personally, I think your trail elbow starts to fold really early in your takeaway and that might fix your to inside on the backswing. Just my 2 cents for what it’s worth.

this was interesting. one of the swing videos i took before working with ty is on the bottom. january 2020. top is the most recent swing from june 2021. happy with my progress. still lots of work to do. eerie how similar the tempo is.

View attachment 9014519

The position in the top video is so much better. (y)

this was interesting. one of the swing videos i took before working with ty is on the bottom. january 2020. top is the most recent swing from june 2021. happy with my progress. still lots of work to do. eerie how similar the tempo is.

View attachment 9014519

Can definitely see the progress!

You're killing me with the 1 second videos though. Lol You have GOT to give us a second or two to get buffered, or be able to hit pause before it's over, or at least let our eyes focus or something. Swing looks solid, vid share needs more work. :LOL:

Back