McLovin's Journey to Improve

feedback video 3 from lesson 5/17/2020

Love being able to listen in and glean some nuggets! Awesome share, Chris! And the swing looks good!

bro, it's so much more than 3 shots that I can improve around the greens. but instead of 3 shots around the greens, i'd rather add 3 more greens in regulation.

Your post in the crossfield video thread about needing to hit more greens made me go looking for if you had ever mentioned how many greens you ARE hitting. Or how many you are hoping to hit to get your scoring and cap where you want them. This is the closest a search would let me find. Do you mind me asking those numbers? You obviously spend time going over your own stuff to improve your game, and I'm sure have identified pretty well where your best chances for improvement are (GIR) so I'm also kind of curious, depending on what those numbers are, why you identify that as the thing that needs the most improvement to affect scoring. You've said your wedge game has been struggling, so is it to keep the wedge out of your hand more? Is putting a strength you want to capitalize on? Just have a number in your head of how many greens it should take to score __ consistently...? I never know how these questions read, so know that I'm not wanting to shoot holes in anything. Just honestly curious. I've achieved some of my goals by targeted effort, and others kind of by accident, and I love how different all our games are and how breaking down someone's numbers says different things to different people.

Iron swing looked good. Another reason I'm curious about the GIR numbers. How are you feeling about the wedge work? The first takeaway in that video, not gonna lie, kind of had me reeling back a little. Looked much better on the second one. Feeling any closer to getting some of that grooved at all or still having to focus to hit that low point?

Good stuff as always and thanks for sharing your lessons with us.

tyler and i messaged yesterday and decided it was a good idea to get together, even though i’ve only played once and hadn’t practiced the move from sunday. he wanted to do 3d mapping with audio feedback.

we started on trackman with a 7i. i wasn’t really feeling good about the swing. the path was way left, normal short backswing, and i was swinging pretty aggressively and topping out under 80mph.

he hooked up the sensors, and we got to work. the first thing he saw was that my pelvis was moving to the ball too much. so he gave me the feel of pressing my finger on my trailing hip flexor, and feeling like i’m squishing the finger in the back swing. basically moving the trailing hip back and away. we made two rehearsal swings, and the first swing was what he wanted to see so we didn’t focus much more on that.

we set the sensors with a baseline backswing depth and wrist position. the goal was to make the backswing with the tone present the whole way. if the tone stops, that’s a bad thing. it was going ok, but inconsistent. so tyler wanted me to slow it down. the goal was to swing under 75mph. which was damn near impossible! one of the smoothest, most effortless swings i made to keep it under 75mph was actually 86mph! we finally got it at 78mph and tyler was liking the path more.

we made a few swings with driver. again, one of the smoothest, most effortless swings i tried to keep at 75mph was 98mph. crazy town.

the wrists are still not getting there. but the feel will still be to keep the swing under 75mph in practice, and nice and smooth to get deeper in the backswing.

It just seems so contrary to common sense. I'm starting to see this a tiny bit in my own swing progression. What I really notice is my worst swings are done with what I perceive to be the "fastest swing speed" and the greatest effort - the results are not good. But those occasional times where I feel like I'm making a slow practice swing? The ball rockets off the club.

Mind-blowing!

Your post in the crossfield video thread about needing to hit more greens made me go looking for if you had ever mentioned how many greens you ARE hitting. Or how many you are hoping to hit to get your scoring and cap where you want them. This is the closest a search would let me find. Do you mind me asking those numbers? You obviously spend time going over your own stuff to improve your game, and I'm sure have identified pretty well where your best chances for improvement are (GIR) so I'm also kind of curious, depending on what those numbers are, why you identify that as the thing that needs the most improvement to affect scoring. You've said your wedge game has been struggling, so is it to keep the wedge out of your hand more? Is putting a strength you want to capitalize on? Just have a number in your head of how many greens it should take to score __ consistently...? I never know how these questions read, so know that I'm not wanting to shoot holes in anything. Just honestly curious. I've achieved some of my goals by targeted effort, and others kind of by accident, and I love how different all our games are and how breaking down someone's numbers says different things to different people.

Iron swing looked good. Another reason I'm curious about the GIR numbers. How are you feeling about the wedge work? The first takeaway in that video, not gonna lie, kind of had me reeling back a little. Looked much better on the second one. Feeling any closer to getting some of that grooved at all or still having to focus to hit that low point?

Good stuff as always and thanks for sharing your lessons with us.

arccos has me at 52.2% gir over the time I've been using the system. my approach handicap is 6.0. the reason I want to hit more greens is exactly what you posited above: to keep the greenside wedge out of my hands. as much as I practice it - and trust me, if you knew the hours I spent practicing short game and then watched me on the course you would call bullsh1t - the short game continues to be a huge blight on a game that is already riddled with flaws.

putting is somewhat of a strength for me. 2.6 handicap per arccos. no, I don't make everything I look at. and no, I don't make everything inside 15'. but it's by no means holding me back.

re: the pitching video, you're right, the takeaway is fugly. what's so interesting to me is my takeaway in the pitching video is outside, club working steeply up. yet my takeaway in full swing is clubhead low and inside, never really working up. and no, I don't feel any closer to having it grooved. I played on Tuesday and actually had some of those shots that would have really given me fits before and I hit them well, but I had other shots that I hit very poorly.

i'm using this thread to memorialize my progress and capture my thoughts so I can (hopefully) go back through it later and laugh at how dumb I was, but also feel good about any progress I (hopefully) made. but I also hope some people watch the videos and see how good tyler is at providing feedback and simplifying things. he ain't cheap, but he's damn good.

feedback video 1 from lesson 5/20/2020

feedback video 2 from lesson 5/20/2020

feedback video 3 from lesson 5/20/2020

feedback video 4 from lesson 5/20/2020

Awesome stuff. Great write ups, love sharing what your working on and how its going! I'm working on some back swing position changes too that seem similar. I'm doing a lot of dry back swings in my living room during conference calls :p

Awesome stuff. Great write ups, love sharing what your working on and how its going! I'm working on some back swing position changes too that seem similar. I'm doing a lot of dry back swings in my living room during conference calls :p

thanks man. i'm laying it all out there. no shying away from these struggles!

it was pretty mind-blowing for tyler and me that this sluggish, minimal effort driver swing was 98mph, where my typical "all out" swing struggles to get to 100mph. he says I have a ton of speed potential, we just need to get a deeper backswing with better wrist set, and better sequencing. also crazy that my sluggish, lazy 7i swing attempting to hit 75mph was actually 86mph.

so my range work will consist of a few things. first, feeling that trailing hip "pinching" my finger on the backswing, basically loading it away from the ball. in my setup I will put a headcover just opposite the ball to get the path more from the inside. and the swing will be thinking about the tone staying on throughout getting all the way to the top, and trying to swing at only 75mph. we can add more speed later.

it was pretty mind-blowing for tyler and me that this sluggish, minimal effort driver swing was 98mph, where my typical "all out" swing struggles to get to 100mph. he says I have a ton of speed potential, we just need to get a deeper backswing with better wrist set, and better sequencing. also crazy that my sluggish, lazy 7i swing attempting to hit 75mph was actually 86mph.

so my range work will consist of a few things. first, feeling that trailing hip "pinching" my finger on the backswing, basically loading it away from the ball. in my setup I will put a headcover just opposite the ball to get the path more from the inside. and the swing will be thinking about the tone staying on throughout getting all the way to the top, and trying to swing at only 75mph. we can add more speed later.
yeah, 100%. When I fixed my sequencing a bit all of my "hard swings" felt totally effortless. Its probably the biggest Ah-Ha moment I've had in golf.

This is a fun follow.

Wow, this has been a great thread @McLovin.

I love seeing the work you have done with your coach. If you are already swinging your 7i in the high 80's you definitely have the capacity to swing Driver at least 105.

I really am impressed what you and your coach are doing.

Wow, this has been a great thread @McLovin.

I love seeing the work you have done with your coach. If you are already swinging your 7i in the high 80's you definitely have the capacity to swing Driver at least 105.

I really am impressed what you and your coach are doing.

thanks man! yeah, i think i’m leaving 5-10mph on the table with driver. i think i’m on the right track with tyler.

Great seeing the shortgame work payoff for
You last week.

I love how responsive and accessible your coach is. Driver and irons swings looked good from the video

Great seeing the shortgame work payoff for
You last week.

I love how responsive and accessible your coach is. Driver and irons swings looked good from the video

spots of success. spots of dumpster burning.

if i can snag an sc200, i really think that could help me groove the slower pitch motion tyler wants. i had a little success with that in my practice session yesterday, but just couldn’t do it consistently. tyler thought it was a good idea.

i also bought a golf selfie stick thing, and some bluetooth earbuds. when he goes to toronto for the summer, i’ll do some facetime lessons with him.

How tall are you?
I’m surprised that swing doesn’t get 100+ mph easily. Nice progress you’re making there.

How tall are you?
I’m surprised that swing doesn’t get 100+ mph easily. Nice progress you’re making there.

thanks!!!

i’m 5’10

it’s from poor sequencing, path moving left through impact (not ott per my instructor, more from poor weight shift), and not getting the club set through the wrists. the lazy, slow driver swing posted above was 98mph per trackman. so we will keep working on the slow swing, and build speed back in.

i picked up a selfie golf stick, sport ear buds, and sc200 to aid my work with tyler when he goes out of town. i’m all in, baby

thanks!!!

i’m 5’10

it’s from poor sequencing, path moving left through impact (not ott per my instructor, more from poor weight shift), and not getting the club set through the wrists. the lazy, slow driver swing posted above was 98mph per trackman. so we will keep working on the slow swing, and build speed back in.

i picked up a selfie golf stick, sport ear buds, and sc200 to aid my work with tyler when he goes out of town. i’m all in, baby
I love this Chris. You swings in the past few videos is looking really good. Tyler seems like an incredible coach. Those scores are going to start dropping!!

I love this Chris. You swings in the past few videos is looking really good. Tyler seems like an incredible coach. Those scores are going to start dropping!!

it's the most "all in" I've ever been for swing improvement. from the range time, to the cash outlay, to the commitment to the process. the financial commitment was made simpler by the grandaddy. eliminating the ho'ing from my budget helped lol

tyler has been so great. he's super encouraging. very positive. always available. and insanely smart.

I played last week, and it was horrendous. I couldn't get off the tee, my irons were hard hooks. I barely broke 90. That is not the score I expected after 4 months of intense practice and lessons. Because golf is the stupidest game ever conceived, the one bright spot was my short game, which is usually the worst part of my game.

So I texted Tyler during the round and told him things were bad, saying we need to get back together. He asked me to send him some videos of my next practice session.

I did a marathon practice session yesterday. Full swing driver, 7i, and pitches with the 56. Trying to implement everything he had me do recently. With driver, complete backswing, keep the swing speed around 80mph, plane zero or positive. With iron, complete backswing, keep the swing speed around 80mph. With SW, more of a stack-and-tilt type move, very rhythmic. I brought my newly-acquired SC200 with me to track ss.

It was a good session. Funny enough, I had a really hard time keeping the swing speed down. Most 7i swings floated 86-90mph, most drivers 102-105. I don't know how accurate SC200 is, but that was the consistent reading. Most SW pitches were in the 40-45mph range. SW was a big struggle, though.

So I put the videos together for him last night, and as good as I was hitting the ball, the swing itself is just so discouraging. Backswing is shorter than ever, transition rushed. We're almost 10 lessons into this together, and I don't feel like we're making any progress. Great rehearsal, completely different actual backswing. I'll keep plugging along, but whatever I'm doing is not working.

I played last week, and it was horrendous. I couldn't get off the tee, my irons were hard hooks. I barely broke 90. That is not the score I expected after 4 months of intense practice and lessons. Because golf is the stupidest game ever conceived, the one bright spot was my short game, which is usually the worst part of my game.

So I texted Tyler during the round and told him things were bad, saying we need to get back together. He asked me to send him some videos of my next practice session.

I did a marathon practice session yesterday. Full swing driver, 7i, and pitches with the 56. Trying to implement everything he had me do recently. With driver, complete backswing, keep the swing speed around 80mph, plane zero or positive. With iron, complete backswing, keep the swing speed around 80mph. With SW, more of a stack-and-tilt type move, very rhythmic. I brought my newly-acquired SC200 with me to track ss.

It was a good session. Funny enough, I had a really hard time keeping the swing speed down. Most 7i swings floated 86-90mph, most drivers 102-105. I don't know how accurate SC200 is, but that was the consistent reading. Most SW pitches were in the 40-45mph range. SW was a big struggle, though.

So I put the videos together for him last night, and as good as I was hitting the ball, the swing itself is just so discouraging. Backswing is shorter than ever, transition rushed. We're almost 10 lessons into this together, and I don't feel like we're making any progress. Great rehearsal, completely different actual backswing. I'll keep plugging along, but whatever I'm doing is not working.
I'm two years in and yesterday I shot 17 strokes higher than my handicap... Everything has been pretty decent with my drills and practice and I've done them a lot.... But then I get on the course. I know the feeling sir, but stick with it. I'm rooting we both are good when I come down in December/January.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I feel ya'. It's a long road. Was looking at some of Tyler's youtube vids last night. It's always worse before it gets better.

Looking at your vids, I was wondering why the swing isn't longer but the speed appears very good. The pivot he teaches and the shallowing make sense.

The SC200 is about a couple of mph higher than Trackman - I think my 96 was 93 on Trackman.

I feel ya'. It's a long road. Was looking at some of Tyler's youtube vids last night. It's always worse before it gets better.

Looking at your vids, I was wondering why the swing isn't longer but the speed appears very good. The pivot he teaches and the shallowing make sense.

The SC200 is about a couple of mph higher than Trackman - I think my 96 was 93 on Trackman.

that makes sense. I pretty much never hit 105 with a driver. and knowing that my backswing is as short as it is, and as smoothly as i'm trying to swing, the speed makes less sense.

I guess I was just hoping for SOME progress. not like "ok you're all fixed" in a short period of time, but something. and it's not like I've always had this short backswing. it's something that's crept in over the last 2-3 years, and now feels damn near impossible to fix.

i'm committed and i'll keep working hard.

that makes sense. I pretty much never hit 105 with a driver. and knowing that my backswing is as short as it is, and as smoothly as i'm trying to swing, the speed makes less sense.

I guess I was just hoping for SOME progress. not like "ok you're all fixed" in a short period of time, but something. and it's not like I've always had this short backswing. it's something that's crept in over the last 2-3 years, and now feels damn near impossible to fix.

i'm committed and i'll keep working hard.

Mine was short, too. Then i started taking more time going back and hinging. I've got to watch that though - for other reasons. My model for tempo is Matt on TXG - long and lazy as he puts it. Don't know if that will ultimately work for me. But my issue is weight shift and I do like that move that Tyler teaches - the Rory pivot.

I know you'll keep going. No expectations. Very frustrating, this game. I've got a tip - don't get older. lol.

Back