McLovin's Journey to Improve

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I decided to commit to improving my game this year. I made a commitment last year as well, but I do not feel the coach I worked with was the best fit for me.

So this year I am working with Tyler McGhie https://www.tylermcghiegolf.com/

I will use this thread to capture my ramblings from lessons, post videos/pics of progress, and capture my thoughts as I work through and struggle with this stupid game.

Looking forward to following along. I have seen some serious game from you in the past and I'm sure I will see an even better version in the future.

Looking forward to this. I know you have some immediate goals as well as long term goals in mind, so I am anxious to see how this all shapes up.

Looking forward to following along and I wish you success in your journey!

Good luck will follow. What are the goals for this season?

Good luck, brother.

Watching. Looking forward to your journey.

What aspect of your game do you REEAALLY want to focus on ?

Glad you are settling with this and committed. Looking forward to seeing the improvements.

Looking forward to hearing about the journey and what things you are working for as you continue to get better!

I found Tyler through a YouTube video posted to a channel I follow. I really liked his approach, and he is located here in Orlando.

I set up a series of 5 lessons with him. The cost is admittedly more than I wanted to spend, but it was worth it to me if he could get me to have more fun playing the game.

We met on a cold (well, Orlando cold haha) Saturday morning in late January. He teaches out of Orange County National, and based on his YouTube channel his clientele were far more skilled than I. I like that, though.

I warmed up a little while he finished with another student, then he came over and introduced himself. He is such a warm and engaging person, I immediately felt at ease. We discussed my goals: 1- Improve my ball-striking so I can hit more fairways and greens, and 2- Improve my short game which continues to be the single worst part of my game.

He asked if I wanted to a 3d motion capture system, and I said it was up to him. So he strapped me in, and had me make some swings. We used a 7i all day. I hit some ok shots by my standards, but also some bad ones so he could see what I was working with. I will edit this post to add some pics, but he identified what I see in my swing as well, but also some stuff I never would have thought.

What he identified that I already knew was I get the club a little too far inside on the take away, and at the top I have almost no wrist-hinge and the club is extremely laid off. His diagnosis of the bad position at the top of the backswing was not something I ever would have considered. He said that my ribcage was pushed out too far, bringing my weight too close to the ball. So during the backswing, to counterbalance this improper weight distribution, I get the club as far behind me as I can so I can use the weight of the clubhead to keep me balanced. The video linked below shows the bad backswing position.

We then worked on a proper backswing position at the top. He put me in a couple different but very similar backswing positions and captured that orientation on the 3d system to establish an acceptable range. He set a tone to sound when I hit the range. I would make a backswing, and if I didn't hear the tone, I would move around until I heard it. If I couldn't get there, he would move me. The feel ended up being the left wrist goes straight up on the backswing (instead of around my chest), and the club points across the line at the top. It felt horrible, but this position is what ended up looking like. He called this backswing position "the dream"

B5B1D136-BFCE-4FAE-94D4-C488B6361468.png

Once in the proper backswing position, he had me make "chippy" swings. Full swings, but only like 50% effort. The ball flight was stunningly different. High, with good spin, and pretty much as long as my normal effort swing. And the feel off the face was so much more explosive.

He then showed me a video he took on his phone, and slowed down my transition into the downswing. He said I am pretty much in a perfect position in the downswing. He said I've done all the hard work getting that downswing to be so good, we just need to fix this backswing and it will all come together quickly. He said usually he has big changes to make with a new student, but with me it's something small and simple. He also said we need to adjust our goals, because the fix is so easy we can achieve a lot more together.

It felt really good and validating to hear that. I've felt like I was so close to playing good golf, but just needed a small fix to get over the hump. Hearing him confirm this gave me the confidence I have been wanting, and also the motivation to work really hard.

We ended full-swing work on a high. We were fist-bumping and smiling because the results were so good so quickly. We quickly shot over to the practice green so he could see what I was working with. He said a lot of my short game challenges were similar to the full-swing stuff. He gave me one quick thought, then the lesson was over and we knew short game would be a bigger focus in lesson 2.

Here is his wrap-up video from our first session.

Expect to see a 4 cap from you Mclovin….

That's awesome! I'm looking forward to following along.

. Looking forward to following.

You got this Mclovin! That 3d swing system seems awesome i like he can set a tone for when you get in the spot you need.

That 3d swing system seems like a great asset to use. Glad you are putting in the time and effort into something that you are passionate about, and will have more fun with as you improve! Time and money well spent, IMO.

I was really energized after the lesson. My goal was to hit a small bucket of balls every day. I wanted to stay committed to focusing on the adjusted setup position with the ribcage more sunken back, and also flattening my lower back a bit. Then make a controlled backswing and pause to feel the hands over the right shoulder instead of so deep behind me, and try to feel the club pointing across the line. Once I felt like I was in a decent position, I would make the chippy swing.

For the first few days, I would say it went ok. It was kind of hard to stay patient and make the rehearsal swings only, instead of making full swings. But by the last day or two I couldn't help myself and made some full swings. I was generally pleased with my progress. I did not do any short game work, and only alternated the full swings above 6-, 7- and 8-irons. No drivers, or wedges.

here’s a side by side screen grab of before and after to compare setup and top of backswing. not there by any means, but progress. also, i need to lay off the snacks lol

16A1A7EA-5DAF-4CAD-ADF8-A294DF6ED040.jpeg

33FD4A93-E02F-41BE-855B-9B550B1BE643.jpeg

Awesome man! Can't wait to see the end results of your hard work. I know it'll be worth it

I found Tyler through a YouTube video posted to a channel I follow. I really liked his approach, and he is located here in Orlando.

I set up a series of 5 lessons with him. The cost is admittedly more than I wanted to spend, but it was worth it to me if he could get me to have more fun playing the game.

We met on a cold (well, Orlando cold haha) Saturday morning in late January. He teaches out of Orange County National, and based on his YouTube channel his clientele were far more skilled than I. I like that, though.

I warmed up a little while he finished with another student, then he came over and introduced himself. He is such a warm and engaging person, I immediately felt at ease. We discussed my goals: 1- Improve my ball-striking so I can hit more fairways and greens, and 2- Improve my short game which continues to be the single worst part of my game.

He asked if I wanted to a 3d motion capture system, and I said it was up to him. So he strapped me in, and had me make some swings. We used a 7i all day. I hit some ok shots by my standards, but also some bad ones so he could see what I was working with. I will edit this post to add some pics, but he identified what I see in my swing as well, but also some stuff I never would have thought.

What he identified that I already knew was I get the club a little too far inside on the take away, and at the top I have almost no wrist-hinge and the club is extremely laid off. His diagnosis of the bad position at the top of the backswing was not something I ever would have considered. He said that my ribcage was pushed out too far, bringing my weight too close to the ball. So during the backswing, to counterbalance this improper weight distribution, I get the club as far behind me as I can so I can use the weight of the clubhead to keep me balanced. The video linked below shows the bad backswing position.

We then worked on a proper backswing position at the top. He put me in a couple different but very similar backswing positions and captured that orientation on the 3d system to establish an acceptable range. He set a tone to sound when I hit the range. I would make a backswing, and if I didn't hear the tone, I would move around until I heard it. If I couldn't get there, he would move me. The feel ended up being the left wrist goes straight up on the backswing (instead of around my chest), and the club points across the line at the top. It felt horrible, but this position is what ended up looking like. He called this backswing position "the dream"

View attachment 8927453

Once in the proper backswing position, he had me make "chippy" swings. Full swings, but only like 50% effort. The ball flight was stunningly different. High, with good spin, and pretty much as long as my normal effort swing. And the feel off the face was so much more explosive.

He then showed me a video he took on his phone, and slowed down my transition into the downswing. He said I am pretty much in a perfect position in the downswing. He said I've done all the hard work getting that downswing to be so good, we just need to fix this backswing and it will all come together quickly. He said usually he has big changes to make with a new student, but with me it's something small and simple. He also said we need to adjust our goals, because the fix is so easy we can achieve a lot more together.

It felt really good and validating to hear that. I've felt like I was so close to playing good golf, but just needed a small fix to get over the hump. Hearing him confirm this gave me the confidence I have been wanting, and also the motivation to work really hard.

We ended full-swing work on a high. We were fist-bumping and smiling because the results were so good so quickly. We quickly shot over to the practice green so he could see what I was working with. He said a lot of my short game challenges were similar to the full-swing stuff. He gave me one quick thought, then the lesson was over and we knew short game would be a bigger focus in lesson 2.

Here is his wrap-up video from our first session.

I love this, Cap! That new backswing position looks so powerful! BOMBS, baby!!

The Grandaddy really lit a fire in me too. I'm ready to take it to the next level. Can't wait to follow your journey.

So excited for you to make this journey, it’s been awesome to see what you’ve already been working on and your improvement. Your drive to improve and not settle has inspired me. I also have to thank you for making an intro with Tyler.

I will also be working with Tyler, albeit remotely. First lesson is Friday and will start a thread for my journey.

Chris, thanks for being an awesome captain, before, during, and after the Grandaddy. ?

Great job, I really like the interaction with the instructor you chose. It is also nice that you know your equipment is right for you on your journey! I have had similar issues with backswing too flat like you describe. It will be a good follow.

Man can’t wait to follow along with your journey. After just reading through you’ve made me want to consider a swing coach & few lessons!
Great work Chris!!!

As someone who's the opposite of a golf lesson guru, am I allowed to say I'm a little astounded your last coach didn't recognize and try to correct that top position?

I'm just a dude with exercise and kinesiology degrees who sees body movement through that very narrow lens, and just happens to play pretty good golf, but man... That top position screamed ineffeciency to me. It basically pulled you off plane and made you have to work to get back to what looks like a pretty great position by the time you're halfway down. If he can make you get to that 'dream' position consistently I feel like you're going to have the most simple, balanced, and repeatable swing you've probably ever had and your consistency and accuracy should skyrocket. I am beyond excited for you. Beyond. And a little jealous. lol

Good for you for continuing to pursue your goal of getting better. Excited to follow along.

Last edited:
I started following Tyler after I saw him on TXG's youtube channel. I've liked what I've seen from him and he seems like he'd be a great teacher to work with.

The backswing does look night and day better now.

Back